June 24, 2019, 06:44:15 PM

Author Topic: Shannara TV show  (Read 4916 times)

Offline andreasn

Shannara TV show
« on: March 15, 2014, 04:10:42 PM »
Anyone else really exited about the Shannara tv show that is planned to come to MTV.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Shannara TV show
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 09:27:36 PM »
I'll be interested to see how it goes, but if not done right this could be another Legend of the Seeker.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 10:01:09 PM »
Anyone else really exited about the Shannara tv show that is planned to come to MTV.

MTV? Any hopes I might have had just got sucked into the black hole that is my abhorrence for MTV.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Online J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 11:05:53 AM »
IDK--  I'm really excited to have some fantasy on MTV-- especially if it can displace awful reality television.  I like to think (or hope) that it's a sign that fantasy is reaching a broader and younger audience than before.  I thought MTV did an okay job with Teen Wolf.

Offline jed001

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 08:40:32 PM »
i am already concerned with the casting of Allanon , Manu Bennett does not come to mind when i think of this character

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 12:54:01 AM »
I actually kind of like Manu Bennet in that role. He's not tall enough, but he's got the whole scary thing down.

Offline jed001

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 05:29:34 PM »
i just hope that through the magic of TV , they can make him appear to be over 7 foot tall

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 12:07:45 AM »
i just hope that through the magic of TV , they can make him appear to be over 7 foot tall
According to the imdb page on it, he's only in it for 1 episode out of the 10 they're doing, so it may not be much of an issue. They have cast John Rhys-Davies as an elf, though, that gives him rather a unique fantasy double; a dwarf and an elf.

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 01:00:22 PM »
According to the imdb page on it, he's only in it for 1 episode out of the 10 they're doing, so it may not be much of an issue. They have cast John Rhys-Davies as an elf, though, that gives him rather a unique fantasy double; a dwarf and an elf.

Is this Allanon we're talking about here? I very much doubt 1 out of 10 is correct. He's one of the main characters!
Make Another World.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 12:42:43 AM »

Is this Allanon we're talking about here? I very much doubt 1 out of 10 is correct. He's one of the main characters!
That's how it's listed on imdb. They may be wrong, they frequently are about in production things. From what I can see the show is vastly different from the books. There's also no Shea Ohmsford listed, yet Will has 10 episodes and most of the Ellessedil's seem to also have 10 episodes.

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Chrestomanci
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 01:12:27 AM »
I wouldn't expect much Shea, since it's Elfstones they're adapting, so they may completely ignore Sword of Shannara. And IMDB have been wrong in the past.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 07:28:19 AM »
I wouldn't expect much Shea, since it's Elfstones they're adapting, so they may completely ignore Sword of Shannara. And IMDB have been wrong in the past.
It's called The Shannara Chronicles, and yes the cast list does certainly hint at an adaptation of Elfstones more than anything else.

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 09:09:25 AM »
Didn't they bypass 'Sword' to avoid getting sued by the Tolkien estate because it pretty much rips off LoTR.
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 09:41:25 AM »
Didn't they bypass 'Sword' to avoid getting sued by the Tolkien estate because it pretty much rips off LoTR.

I don't think that's the exact reason as they could easily get away with the differences, but it is 100% definitely an adaptation of Elfstones first, as documented by Terry Brooks himself. If my memory serves, and I really could be wrong as I haven't read it in about 15 years, Allanon features in Elfstones more than any other book. No idea what plans they have for further seasons though - the characters of Elftsones apart from Allanon don't feature in any other book. The Heritage of Shannara sequence might have been better - it was far longer, a lot darker and actually had some unique and interesting stuff in there that would have differentiated Shannara from Lord of the Rings a bit and maybe even capitalised on some of the leftover Game of Thrones viewers looking for a fix between seasons.
Make Another World.

Offline jed001

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 06:51:29 PM »
i am re-reading elfstones now ; so i can be really critical of the show :) . allanon plays a huge part in driving the story . i hope IMBD is wrong