September 16, 2019, 01:43:57 PM

Author Topic: Shannara Chronicles Trailer!  (Read 6745 times)

Offline ClintACK

Re: Shannara Chronicles Trailer!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 10:21:29 PM »
As you say, FX and production value look good.  Acting and writing and story yet to be seen.  But I'm optimistic.

Re: Flying demons... there were at least the bat-like ones that the evil boss rides on when he faces Allanon (sp?  It's been a while.) in aerial combat.  And for some reason I'm remembering the furies? harpies? things that are sent after Allanon right at the beginning as winged.  But it's been a long time since I've read it.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 11:29:26 PM »
Yeah, the first book (Sword of Shannara) had the Skull Bearers, which road wyvern/dragon things... which were basically exactly the Ring Wraiths from LoTR. :)  But I don't recall any flying demons in the second book. The three main demons were the Changeling, the Dagda Mor, and the Reaper, all of which were groundbound.

The Changeling (as named) could disguise itself as any living being, the Dagda Mor was basically a demonic warlock, and the Reaper... dude, the Reaper. Basically a Terminator crossed with a Predator. So cool. :0

Also, Crispin was a BAMF.

Offline JimB

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 06:53:36 PM »
What a disappointment.

The key character Allanon was utterly runined.

He was a Druid (wizard) in the books but in this "show" he wields a sword.
Sigh.  That's like giving Bruce Lee a machete.

The CGI Demons look terrible.

That "guantlet game" isn't in the book (trying to cash in on the Hunger Games?).

Wil Ohmsford was 1/8 Elf -- "I'm HALF-ELF" is really wrong because he could use the Elfstones easily if he were half-elf.

All sorts of other flaws and divergences are noticeable in this one trailer.

Bottom-line: I'm sticking with the book, and won't watch the show.

(I would go to terrybrooks.net's forum and express my disappointment but it's inactive.)

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 05:53:25 PM »
What a disappointment.

The key character Allanon was utterly runined.

He was a Druid (wizard) in the books but in this "show" he wields a sword.
Sigh.  That's like giving Bruce Lee a machete.

Um.  Why can't a wizard (or a druid) wield a sword?  It's the most advanced weapons technology in his era.  He fights things.  That was a nonsensical D&D rule, never coherently explained.

Gandalf fought with a sword.

And dude, Bruce Lee fought with a sword too, when it was called for:

Bonus content: Merlin!  (not serious)

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 03:44:15 PM »
Reminder for folks who might be interested: this premieres tonight.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 09:22:56 PM »
I've watched the first five episodes. At first I was fine with the huge number of changes, but now it looks like it's absolutely a reboot, keeping a few of the themes and characters and adding a ton of new stuff. There's really very little similarity to the book at all, other than the main idea of the Ellcrys holding back a demon army.

So far there's at least six new characters that aren't in the books in the first few episodes, and they are changing a lot of the big plotlines. Also, there's some major character assassination going on, which is always disappointing. But it probably only bothers fans of the books.

Biggest complaints so far:
  • Not sure why they're adding all these new characters, but I guess it's to pad the length of the book?
  • Eretria's not nearly as interesting as her book counterpart, and far more whiny. Not to mention she isn't really consistent in her character choices.
  • They turned Crispin (who was one of the biggest BAMFs in the book, and an honorable, loyal and badass warrior) into a whiny jerk who is constantly making bad decisions.
  • They turned the Reaper, an invisible, stealthy, lethal and speedy assassion (it was the Predator + Terminator + Demon) into a lumbering monstrosity that looks like the Dovahkiin from Skyrim went to the dark side. Though to be fair, as much as their take on the Reaper disappoints me, it's also sort of awesome, in the sense that I keep expecting him to FUS RO DAH! some poor elf.

So, I'm not as enthused as I was, but I'll keep watching to see where else the crazy leads. I'm still enjoying it for what it is, a new story with a few elements from the Elfstones book.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:24:45 PM by tebakutis »

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 09:59:31 PM »
@tebakutis...

I have a relatively low cheese tolerance for something that isn't trying to be cheesy (and a really high tolerance for something that does know it is).

Where does this fall on the cheese-o-meter?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 10:19:44 PM »
Just past "Really', IMO. But to be fair, it's trying to straddle the line between kissy-kissy YA and horror (excite and scare your teenage audience!) so that's to be expected. It's watchable.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 05:04:43 AM »
It looks wonderful, but it has the New Zealand scenery to give it that, unfortunately most of the acting is extremely dire, especially the guy playing Will. It's not quite Legend of the Seeker bad, but it's very quickly getting there. I do kind of like Manu Bennet as a badass Allanon, but as soon as they cast him they were always going to get that. I do however have trouble getting Crixus and the 'Australian' Slade Wilson/Deathstroke out of my head when I watch him.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 01:49:34 PM »
It started on UK TV a couple of weeks ago, and I've just watched the first episode.
I haven't read the books.
Should I continue?
It feels a bit teenage-angst to me...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 04:11:00 PM »
It looks wonderful, but it has the New Zealand scenery to give it that, unfortunately most of the acting is extremely dire, especially the guy playing Will. It's not quite Legend of the Seeker bad, but it's very quickly getting there. I do kind of like Manu Bennet as a badass Allanon, but as soon as they cast him they were always going to get that. I do however have trouble getting Crixus and the 'Australian' Slade Wilson/Deathstroke out of my head when I watch him.

Very much this!

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline magisensei

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 05:37:22 PM »
Finally got around to watching the first couple of episodes and I was surprised, pleasantly shocked and also disappointed in more than a few things. 

One of my biggest issues with the series is how it diverges from the novel:

a) Wil is half-elf in the tv series but in the novel he is about 1/8th of an elf maybe less.  Also he is the grandson of Shea not his son.  This makes the use of the elfstone and its eventually contamination of his blood line (in the Wishsong) that much less significant as Shea used it without any real difficulties after learning to activate it (the novel) and he was already half-elf.  So you have to wonder if the series eventually gets to the Wishsong book how will the directors incorporate how the kids get the power of the Wishsong?

b) the choosing of the Chosen was a bit problematic for me as it was supposed to be a surprise that Amberle was chosen not like the tv series where she fought to join them.  With her desire to join (the tv series) it makes her leaving the Chosen that much more difficult to believe - ie you fought to become one then you leave it so easily.  In the novel, her being chosen was a surprise and as such when she felt herself changing because of it she gave up something that she thought was a mistake - so much more believable. 

c) the meeting of Wil and Eretria - happened way too early - Wil is just going to his training and he meets her.  What kind of coincidences have to occur for them to meet again when Wil and Amberle are fleeing from the demons? The romance between them is so overdone and unbelievable - the bath scene - was for me hilarious and rather out of character for Wil.  And the fact that Wil is not even trained yet before going on this adventure. 

d) Allanon - perhaps it's just my personal taste - but I pictured an Allanon with long hair - not this short army style hair cut - not the image of the druid that I pictured as I read the books.  Plus, the elf princes don't seem to know who he is - while I don't expect them to know who he is by looking at him - the legend of Allanon should be famous - as he is the last druid. 

One of the reasons Allanon goes to Wil is because he has the elfstones to protect Amberle - otherwise why bother picking him as he is neither warrior nor even a healer yet.  And as they meet (in the tv series) Wil doesn't even have the elfstone - thereby making it inevitable that Wil and Amberle and Eretria to meet again - how will Wil get the elfstones back?

Lots of new characters (minor ones) - I don't mind them so much - you sort of expect them. 

Amberle and Eretria meeting - was just odd - as Amberle in the Elven homeland somewhere - its as if the world in the tv series got really small - and all the major characters meet for some odd reason.  Makes it rather unbelievable. 

The good thing was the graphic and scenery where nice. 

A lot of changes from the novel and while you expect some changes - this much - makes it quite different from the novel. 

And interesting adaptation but really altered from the novel.  For those that have not read the Elfstones - you might not want to read it as you watch the tv series - as it will annoy you. 

Will the tv series last.  I predict it might go to a second season (assuming 10-12 episodes a season) and it will then be canceled. 

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 01:44:09 PM »
A lot of changes from the novel and while you expect some changes - this much - makes it quite different from the novel. 

And interesting adaptation but really altered from the novel.  For those that have not read the Elfstones - you might not want to read it as you watch the tv series - as it will annoy you. 

Will the tv series last.  I predict it might go to a second season (assuming 10-12 episodes a season) and it will then be canceled.

You pretty much summed up why I stopped watching the show about 5-6 episodes in. They certainly took the idea and ran with it, but the book is far, far better, both in character development, internal world logic, pacing, and, well ... just about everything. I even came back to watch the final episode, just to see if they would at least do some justice to the book's ending, but ... nope. The ending really fell flat.

I agree the first four episodes were deceptive - the changes were there, but it seemed like the story was more or less intact, and I held out hope because some things, at least (the way the Elfstones worked, the Furies, and so on) were decently done. Then they introduced a dozen new characters and plots that seemed very random to me. However, I can't fault the showrunners too much, since I think the problem was Elfstones simply wasn't adaptable on a TV budget or with a TV approach.

Much of the book is a slow burn - to me, it has far more in common with Predator or The Terminator than Game of Thrones. Discounting the focus on traditional good vs evil, the book is also a travelogue with the characters making a long and dangerous journey to Safehold, with that journey (and the constant threat of the Reaper) being what really makes the book tense and interesting.

Furthermore, the Wil and Amberle of the book were both basically normal people stuck in an impossible situation, whereas in the TV show they turned Amberle into a sword-fighting ninja and Wil into ... snarky comic relief? And shoe-horning Eretria in so early (probably because they weren't going to hire an actress and only use her in the last few episodes) also contributed to a lot of the disconnects in the show.

Ultimately, the story doesn't build fast enough for the average MTV viewer (it might have worked better as a 2 hour movie, or a 4 hour miniseries) nor do the chapters of the book provide closure at the end of each episode. Which is why they added a dozen new characters and crazy torturer prison guy and raves and who knows what else.

I'm still not sure why they changed the Reaper from a terrifying Terminator/Predator/Demon hybrid (invisible, unstoppable, stealthy, and cruel) to basically a dark version of the Dovakhin from Skyrim (big clumsy bruiser that falls in a hole) - but I'm guessing they couldn't find a good way to visualize the Reaper on screen? Maybe no one had ever watched Predator? Your guess is as good as mine.

So, very disappointed in the TV series, but I guess those who have no background in the book or series as a whole might enjoy it? Anyway, adaptions are hit and miss - they certainly don't wipe out the existence of the book. And doing the massive scale battles that occur in the book just wouldn't work on MTVs budget.

EDIT: And oh, the character assassination! Crispin remains one of my favorite BAMFs in all the Shannara books, and what they did to him in the show (making him an incompetent, whiny jerk) was inexcusable for that reason.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:45:49 PM by tebakutis »

Offline Rostum

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2016, 07:04:11 PM »
only seen the first two episodes read the book forever ago so forgotten most of it.

I do kind of like Manu Bennet as a badass Allanon, but as soon as they cast him they were always going to get that. I do however have trouble getting Crixus and the 'Australian' Slade Wilson/Deathstroke out of my head when I watch him.

Thats because in everything i have ever seen him its the same distinct voice and same acting style, if he is not just being himself and not acting at all.