July 13, 2020, 06:48:05 PM

Author Topic: Recommend a comic based on Magic  (Read 5722 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Recommend a comic based on Magic
« on: November 01, 2017, 06:17:14 PM »
This is what I want   ;D thanks

The MC must be able to do Magical stuff

MC is a Private investigator type character solving mysteries

MC goes for wit over brawn

Magic in the world but it has to be hidden from normal folks

Not too dark I can't do horror but not too Light either

Don’t won’t to read about hell

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:26:47 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Yora

Re: Recommend a comic based on Magic
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 07:45:33 PM »
Well, this sounds like a call for Hellboy and B.P.R.D.

Mostly, at least. Hellboy packs a massive brawn, but that comes into play mostly after he has solved what is going on, and the opponents he faces are often not very impressed by it.
B.P.R.D. is perhaps even more investigaty, but they also carry big guns.
However, in this world the supernatural is not exactly hidden from the normal population. Hellboy and his friends are publically known and respected heroes and at a certain point in the story the whole world becomes very much aware of supernatural stuff making very public appearances. But it's not like normal people have any access to magic. That's entirely the domain of the heroic investigators and the enemies they are facing.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 08:20:19 PM »
Are you open to manga suggestions?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 08:31:56 PM »
If it’s not too bizarre , I’ve never read any Manga

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 11:34:16 PM »
The majority of manga aren't bizarre. They come from a different culture, is all.

The MC must be able to do Magical stuff

Fullmetal Alchemist - which you can watch as well in an anime called Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, that is very well dubbed so you don't even have to bother with reading subtitles.

One of the best and most well known series ever made, and by a female author too! In a world in which Alchemy powers the world, our two main characters are talented brothers who commited the ultimate taboo by trying to transmute a human (their dead mom), and hence lost limbs in the disastrous trade, Alex losing his entire body and surviving only because his brother managed to pin his soul into an empty suit of armor.
The two go on a quest to find a philosopher's stone, thinking it'll allow them to recover their bodies. They stumble on a wider plot.
Amazing depth of character, tragic stories and great ending. It's a self contained story, and all published.
Seriously cry everytime I re-read it =_=

Domu - by the same guy who did Akira. It's a one book story, fucking awesome. The art is off the charts.
In a japanese building complex, more and more accidents happen and people are committing strange suicides. The police comes to investigate, but all hinges on the psychic powers of a mischievous old resident, and the tremendous ones from a little girl who just moved in with her family.

A bit gore in moments and slightly creepy, though never "scary". The style is also very realistic, so not a single exaggerated manga faces in it :

Dorohedoro -  Much more fucked up! Totally crazy world, off the hook imagination wise. It all revolves around the city of Hole where normal humans live, and the parallel world of "Magic Users". These Magic Users secrete black powder from places in their body, and that powder does certain types of things, and nothing else. Very often they will create a (literal) door to Hole, and go train their powers on poor humans.
Our MC is known as Kaiman, with a lizard head and huge body, he's got no memories from before waking up transformed, and is on a personal quest to go and kill the magic user who changed him, to reverse the curse.
Weirdly enough an entity seems to live in his mouth, remembering who cursed him (and that should hint that this is but the tip of the iceberg) and indeed the story goes fathoms deep into crazyhood from there.
Not scary but GORE. Yet very,very funny as well. A wealth of original concepts.

The last volume is under serial publication in Japan.

Also there are demons, magic user masks, an OP character who turns everything into mushrooms, and an entire chapter where the characters play baseball that manages to be awesome. *shrugs* Also drawn by a lady!
Very, Very gritty style! One of the characters, Shin, when he breathes his smoke on people, reduce them in bits, keeping the head attached to the spine, and the whole writhing and entirely alive. Still his favourite weapon is a hammer. In the beginning you're all *urgh, please die soon asshole*. Before you know it he's one of your favourite pals.

Saga -  Not a manga, and no point for me to even try explaining. Just pick up the first one and once you go past the "wtf" stage, you'll be hooked, and understand why it's getting awards.

Nausicaa - Miyazaki needs no intro. When he wanted to do Nausicaa, he was told to do a manga first, then we'd see... The anime is really not one I liked, because it's such a pale condensed version of the 7 volume story... It has political and philosophical depth, and the art, well, all hand drawn by Miyazaki.
It may look fantasy, but it might well be our far future. A lethal forest taking over the world, bird like horses with knights, flying ships, ancient artifacts, telepathic giant insects, and courage, love and devotion with a pure hearted MC that'll still manage to surprise you.

Magic in the world but it has to be hidden from normal folks

Fruits Basket - One of my absolute fav series as a teen and still to this day. A normal girl, with a quite desperate situation and recently orphaned, becomes involved in the life of the Soma family, a big, rich household with hundreds of members and a head of family, the whole deal. Two of the Soma kids are in her high school.
Turns out some members of the family are cursed with the animals of the zodiac : they are weaker, and if they bump into a member of the opposite sex, they turn into their curse animal.
Sounds kiddish but it's actually a deep, moving story that covers everyone and will have you tear up for sure.
I re-read it regularly. It's about acceptance, friendship and finding a place for yourself and redemption.
The style is much more manga-typical, with big eyes and all. If you can get past that, it's an awesome tale, with a great sense of humour.

Witches -  Just two books, in a realistic style, full of short stories. A bit weird, but always very, very catching. About witches or magic, in all the forms you can imagine. Some of his stories are heart rending, like the one about this shaman from the amazon rainforest.

MC is a Private investigator type character solving mysteries

Totally agreed, Hellboy and B.P.R.D are both fantastical series, and I got a tattoo on my forearm drawn by the artist behind hellboy, Mike Mignola. So I can't understate how much of a fan I am. Devoured every published material I could find.
Supernatural investigator for the win! Though Hellboy himself often favours Brawn to wits.

Wendigo :

The whole BPRD story line is one of the best thing I've read in my 27 years. 10/10 recommend.

If I think of anything else I'll post some more.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:40:20 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 11:55:05 PM »
Well, there’s all the old Doctor Strange comics. Not a private investigator, but brains over brawn totally, and magic is hidden from mere mortals.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 12:03:06 AM »
@Nora Thank you, indeed that was an intriguing summary. I have deliberately kept away from comics, although we had many when my son was at home, but I could not justify the cost on top of books. Now as it is hard to read print this may have opened a new door and I have just ordered Saga Volume One from Book Depository because I could not walk past that cover. ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 12:16:16 AM »
Oh, that's awesome @Lady Ty! I'm glad cause I think you'll love Saga. The narrator is the baby (since grown up). It's never absurd but often crazy, a subtle difference!

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 05:07:29 AM »
I’ve heard of Zatanna and Hellblazer but I really don’t won’t to read about Hell.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 08:07:29 AM »
Hellblazer and B.P.R.D would be my choices. Hellblazer is more about magic in 80s Thatcherite Britain than actual Hell, though some plotlines do involve plenty of that.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:14:41 AM by CameronJohnston »

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 08:36:07 AM »
Hellboy and B.P.R.D include references to hell and some demons, but nothing directly there besides the serial called Hellboy In Hell, and that he'll, drawn by Mike Mignola, is poetic and beautiful, and post apocalyptic so somehow there is no one really left. And it wasn't hell as we expect it either.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 09:52:57 AM »
Having just unpacked a delivery of books that includes the third volume of the Rivers of London comics, I assume everyone involved in this discussion knows about them, right? Seems to tick most of the boxes. :)

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 11:28:45 AM »
Rivers of London does seem to tick all the boxes unfortunately the novel didn’t do anything for me and I doubt the comic will either hehe

Thanks @Nora for all the advice , I think B.P.R.D is the one for me, I go and check it out.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 08:29:48 PM »
Elfquest

Offline Peat

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 09:19:03 PM »
It doesn't have a PI, but elsewise The Invisibles sounds like what you want, and its one of the greatest pieces of art I've ever come across. I'll try to write a fuller recommendation sometime but right now its just... thought inspiring, awe inspiring, and a wonderful homage to conspiracy theory, the 80s, the occult, pulp fiction, and a bunch of other stuff I've probably missed.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/