July 14, 2020, 08:19:16 PM

Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
Pillars of Eternity
« on: March 31, 2015, 05:15:12 PM »
So, has anyone bought it yet? I've been reading great reviews about it, but still haven't decided. Would like to know how good the story is, since most of the reviews focus on the gameplay elements.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Pillars of Eternity
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 06:56:35 PM »
So, has anyone bought it yet? I've been reading great reviews about it, but still haven't decided. Would like to know how good the story is, since most of the reviews focus on the gameplay elements.
Is this a board game? A book? Music? A card game? A theme park? A movie?
Oh. A video game? I understand those can be... fun?
I wouldn't know. They lost me at Pong.*

* not completely true.
I've had to delete Civilzation off my laptop to stop obsessive playing, and I did make it to the conclusion of Diablo II
But anything that requires coordination and complicated mouse controls? Count me in with Pong and Pacman at that point.  :)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 07:15:33 PM »

* not completely true.
I've had to delete Civilzation off my laptop to stop obsessive playing, and I did make it to the conclusion of Diablo II
But anything that requires coordination and complicated mouse controls? Count me in with Pong and Pacman at that point.  :)

I wouldn't mind playing in one of those mmorpg thingy me-bobs with you bunch of crazy folks, I used to play Guild wars 2 but got bored also it would take away my reading time....
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 07:24:13 PM »

* not completely true.

I wouldn't mind playing in one of those mmorpg thingy me-bobs with you bunch of crazy folks, I used to play Guild wars 2 but got bored also it would take away my reading time....
Or a try at an RPG here on F-F. Though I can't imagine actually staying on topic  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 07:40:36 PM »
Or a try at an RPG here on F-F. Though I can't imagine actually staying on topic  ;D
We had two and they were immensely fun. On topic is such a boring term...  ;D ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 07:48:12 PM »
We had two and they were immensely fun. On topic is such a boring term...  ;D ;)

What is "on-topic" btw?
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 07:51:30 PM »
It was more the sheer rollercoaster of topics being written about (jumping between A and G and V, and back to H via T, faster than the speed of light) that brought my little logical brain to a standstill, rather than being on or off topic :o
 ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:10:00 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 08:44:05 PM »
On topic:
I don't have Pillars of Eternity yet, but I'm quite excited about it, since it has been called the spiritual successor of the Baldur's Gate games. I think BG2 is the best RPG ever made, though that might just be the nostalgia speaking.

But I really need to check some reviews of the Pillars of Eternity, I think. And maybe I get the game then. Although nowadays I tend to buy games only when they are on sale.  :P

Off topic:
I have nothing.

EDIT: ^On a second thought, yes I have. A forum RPG would be great. I have never done that before. :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:53:22 PM by ArcaneArtsVelho »
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 08:47:36 PM »

Off topic again (sorry)

Wish I could've joined. Never done a "real" rpg before. I use my dnd books whenever I want to read something "light" rather than actually using them to play. My dice serve me when I can't make up my mind about a plot choice.

On topic:
I haven't played Pillars of Eternity. Nor have I played any of the BGs. Am I missing out?

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 09:26:55 PM »
On-topic: Reading through some of the reviews, I'm seeing a general praise for the storyline which I'm gauging as "better than DA:I" so take that how you will. Every other source calls it Baldur's Gate 3, soooooo take that what you will, all 90s RPG baggage and everything. Obsidian Entertainment does really good RPGs (first that springs to mind is Dungeon Siege 2 which was awesome). I'm glad you told me about it Saraband, because now I have something to look at in case I don't get Witcher 3 this summer.

Speaking of summer, Off-topic: If any of you want to start an RPG over the summer I'd be down, just so long as the Writing Groups don't make any headway (I've got a big writing project planned this summer seeing as I'll have some time). Anyway, go peruse the board if you're interested; I can assure you it's buckets of fun and like nothing you've done before, RPG wise.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/