November 24, 2020, 08:32:45 PM

Author Topic: Netflix's updates on series - cancellations and other news  (Read 2865 times)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire
Re: Netflix's updates on series - cancellations and other news
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2020, 10:31:10 AM »
The final season of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina will release on December 31st, New Year's Eve

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-season-of-netflixs-sabrina-now-has-a-release-date/1100-6483784/

oooohhhh maybe I should promote my critique of Sabrina....

https://www.nerdempire.org/where-your-witches-come-from/

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2020, 10:00:53 PM »
oooohhhh maybe I should promote my critique of Sabrina....

https://www.nerdempire.org/where-your-witches-come-from/

That was fascinating! Though I feel like Penny Dreadful has a powerful-women-are-evil problem (a problem so frustratingly prevalent in modern media...)

Offline hexa

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2020, 09:11:54 PM »
So Netflix has are making a new series, First Kill. It's about a teenage lesbian vampire, who falls in love with a girl who turns out to belong to a family of vampire slayers. And the slayer is named Calliope.

This... sounds like it was conceived by an actual teenager. This seems like some angsty kid's first pen-and-paper roleplaying character. Or the kind of character I might create for a game as a joke. This setup simply reeks of melodrama the likes of which mere mortals cannot fathom.

I'm kind of tempted to watch it.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline hexa

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2020, 09:19:34 PM »
That is the plot of Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2020, 07:09:23 AM »
So Netflix has are making a new series, First Kill. It's about a teenage lesbian vampire, who falls in love with a girl who turns out to belong to a family of vampire slayers. And the slayer is named Calliope.

This... sounds like it was conceived by an actual teenager. This seems like some angsty kid's first pen-and-paper roleplaying character. Or the kind of character I might create for a game as a joke. This setup simply reeks of melodrama the likes of which mere mortals cannot fathom.

Ohh, I think I've heard about that one. It's made from one of V. E. Schwabb's novels, is it? If so then I'll probably have to give it a watch despite how soap opera the plot does sounds.

Offline hexa

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2020, 06:01:20 PM »

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2020, 09:21:03 PM »

I hate watched 'Cursed' and it was this weird mixture of YA melodrama with gory violence.

That said, Schwab is a pretty good writer based on what little I have read, so maybe this will be an improvement?

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2020, 10:56:27 PM »

Ohh, I think I've heard about that one. It's made from one of V. E. Schwabb's novels, is it? If so then I'll probably have to give it a watch despite how soap opera the plot does sounds.

Looks like a VE Schwab short story, but yes. She's been heavily involved in writing the script. So that does give the concept a bit more credibility that it'll be handled well! Though, given the amount of trashy teenage television that gets made, I have no problem supporting the notion of teenage girls who like girls getting their own trashy thing to identify with and love as only a teenager can. :D

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2020, 12:49:13 AM »

Looks like a VE Schwab short story, but yes. She's been heavily involved in writing the script. So that does give the concept a bit more credibility that it'll be handled well! Though, given the amount of trashy teenage television that gets made, I have no problem supporting the notion of teenage girls who like girls getting their own trashy thing to identify with and love as only a teenager can. :D

oooooohhhhhh Cupi, you are so so so much more forgiving than I am!

I just have a hard time letting go of the way toxic relationships and toxic love is portrayed as the norm in every romantic plot and subplot and then I get grumpy and say "see!! see that!! that's why you're all dysfunctional!!!"

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2020, 08:44:02 AM »

I just have a hard time letting go of the way toxic relationships and toxic love is portrayed as the norm in every romantic plot and subplot and then I get grumpy and say "see!! see that!! that's why you're all dysfunctional!!!"

It is a pretty weird habit of writers.

Sonic the Hedgehog is a very silly movie about a talking blue super hedgehog from space, and I was nevertheless impressed by the positive marriage between the two human leads. Because it's such a rarity. Why do writers have this fetish for making relationships into some kind of fight, or have them starts on a really awful foundation?

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2020, 10:40:55 AM »

It is a pretty weird habit of writers.

Sonic the Hedgehog is a very silly movie about a talking blue super hedgehog from space, and I was nevertheless impressed by the positive marriage between the two human leads. Because it's such a rarity. Why do writers have this fetish for making relationships into some kind of fight, or have them starts on a really awful foundation?

I think it's because writers are trained to need their dialogue to have CONFLICT always. But what I'm more horrified by is just the completely inappropriate behavior that romance plots just act like is the way things *should* be, or absurd expectations people have of each other in romance plots.

Idk I think the way we're socialized to think of love is pretty psychotic. Pop music: "Will you pay my bills? Will you pay my credit card bills? Cuz maybe then we can chill." by Destiny's Child. Or 50 Cent's gems like "Tired of using technology" about a stalker rapist I presume or his line "Have a baby with me, baby, be a millionaire."

Mrs. Doubtfire is a cute comedy about a man who's wife needed space so he basically stalks her in a horrific violating way.

There's this "do anything for love" sort of thing that hero-izes utterly psychotic behavior.  Then you get people irl that have the expectation of both men "doing anything for love" to show their commitment, which also equates to "ignoring signals and disrespecting boundaries" to make that plucky against-the-odds romantic plot happen!  It's nightmarish if you sit down and think about it.

And that's just one aspect. Don't get me started on *who* is chosen to the the object of affection--usually the worst person ever.  Or the "which-guy-do-i-choose"? which is inevitably the dark scarred toxic guy that doesn't want her over the obviously great guy.  Or the idea that these relationships are almost always completely unearned, usually with one partner chasing after the other for no reason other than she's the female lead. All of these examples are gendered and hetero but making the romance lesbian or reversing the gender roles doesn't make it any better.

Another reason I loved the Haunting of Bly Manor-- the romance between the cook and the housekeeper was so sweet and you totally understood what it was and where it came from and how it worked, as was the romance between the gardener and the au pair,   The toxic romance between Jezel and Quint was show for what it was: utterly toxic.  I feel like 99% of romantic plots are between people like Quint and Jezel (jealous, shitty, needy, repugnant assholes) but instead of the narrator recognizing their toxicity, they celebrate that kind of dysfunction and make the assholes protagonists you're supposed to relate with and root for and not think are horrid people.

Online Eli_Freysson

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2020, 07:45:40 PM »
The Onion:

https://local.theonion.com/romantic-comedy-behavior-gets-real-life-man-arrested-1819565117

Hahahahahah yyuuuuuuupppppp

"She was supposed to hate me at first but gradually be won over by my incredible persistence"

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2020, 09:12:18 PM »
People who have no luck and always get rejected need more representation. Then maybe people would feel better about themselves.

Sympathetic representation. Not comic relief that exists to be mercilessly mocked.