November 24, 2020, 08:02:35 PM

Author Topic: Netflix's updates on series - cancellations and other news  (Read 2861 times)

Offline hexa

Re: Netflix's Chilling Adventures of Sabrina ends with its final season
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 11:08:39 PM »
Amazon's The Boys was the third-most watched streaming in the latest ratings

https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/top-ten/

The streaming ratings are at the bottom of that page, labeled SVOD

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2020, 10:53:08 PM »
ThTs a shame Glow was awesome
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2020, 04:43:39 AM »
ThTs a shame Glow was awesome
Bugger! I really enjoyed Glow too, and from memory it had plenty of places to go.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline hexa

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2020, 07:26:59 PM »

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Netflix's updates on series - cancellations and other news
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 08:03:18 AM »
Hi, I just changed the title of this thread to be more general, as it went past Sabrina a long time ago :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2020, 09:07:13 PM »
It's ridiculous how trigger happy Netflix have become with cancellations. It makes me apprehensive about starting a new series in case they cancel it before it's finished. It doesn't help that them seem to make these decisions without any rhyme or reason. Pretty much everything they have cancelled seems to be critically acclaimed or at least fairly popular. Meanwhile their genuinely awful creations just keep running and running.

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Ambient Mage
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2020, 09:39:45 PM »
From what I've heard, they're haemorrhaging money and making new series is cheaper than keeping on the cast and crew for a series that's gotten popular. I assume in the end people watch the latest fad anyway. Like a lot of things today, it's not built with longevity in mind. It's all about the next quarterly report and whatnot.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2020, 11:16:44 PM »
From what I've heard, they're haemorrhaging money and making new series is cheaper than keeping on the cast and crew for a series that's gotten popular. I assume in the end people watch the latest fad anyway. Like a lot of things today, it's not built with longevity in mind. It's all about the next quarterly report and whatnot.

That makes sense. Hopefully people are a bit more wary of working with them in the future.

Offline hexa

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2020, 10:56:34 PM »
Netflix bids on new Addams Family show by Tim Burton and Shannara Chronicles writers

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/tim-burton-wants-to-make-an-addams-family-tv-show/1100-6483650/

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2020, 05:26:23 AM »

That's weird.  i feel like Netflix would be really golden right now with it being the main way for people to watch movies with COVID and whatnot.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2020, 10:18:54 AM »

This meshes with something I've heard, which is that it's only "new content" that brings in new subscribers, and that's where the money is. Once people join up, they tend to stay, so the whole "sales" model is on getting new sign-ups. And you don't do that with season 8 of something old, you do that with "look at this BRAND NEW AMAZING THING!"

I read something that three series is the sweet spot of enough content to generate maximum buzz and deliver satisfaction, without putting more into a bucket that's already given all the pay-off. I'm faintly hopeful that now that they've learned this, they'll do more planning around that number?

The other option, of course, is that people start building "rights reversion" stuff into their contracts, and bailing out to a new service when the plug gets pulled. (Like Brooklyn 99 and The Expanse.)

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2020, 07:59:24 PM »
The example of GLOW is especially egregious. The show only had one season left, and I think I remember reading that they had already finished filming it, or they were partway through filming it. I've never watched it, but I imagine the fans of the show are pretty annoyed, to say the least.

Offline hexa

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2020, 09:30:38 PM »
Netflix orders Czech science fiction movie, Spaceman of Bohemia, starring Adam Sandler

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/adam-sandler-to-star-in-upcoming-netflix-sci-fi-adaptation/1100-6483773/

Offline hexa

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2020, 12:35:32 AM »
The final season of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina will release on December 31st, New Year's Eve

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-season-of-netflixs-sabrina-now-has-a-release-date/1100-6483784/