December 08, 2019, 10:08:12 AM

Author Topic: MMOs?  (Read 4797 times)

Offline Lyz

MMOs?
« on: July 19, 2011, 12:32:10 AM »
Do any of you folks play MMOs? I mostly wonder because:

01. Age of Conan has gone free to play. I've been playing since it started, and I love the game, but my guild is dead and I'm looking to move into a guild that is more active, with people I know.

02. I like playing MMOs, and if AoC doesn't pan out for me, I'd like to know what other people are playing, so I can move on. :P

So! Do you play (alternately, did you play)? Which MMO? Why do you like it so much?
Elizabeth Mace Giosia. Call me Lyz. 29. Leo. Fantasy Faction Staff Member, Reviews. Owner of Giosia Photography and Stoneheart Cosplay

Need a review for your novel? Email me at emgiosia@gmail.com!

Offline WizardofWestmarch

• Half a King
  • Awesomeness at a Mile High
    • View Profile
Re: MMOs?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 03:20:07 AM »
*stands up*

Hi everyone, I'm WoW *everyone mutters their hellos*

I'm a recovering Warcraft-a-holic (and damn it, I had the WoW acronym first! Screw Blizzard!) I played from 2004 (a month or two after release) until 2007 when I realized I had a problem from being too attached to the game, and quit cold turkey, to the point I changed AIM handle to get away from my guild and avoid temptation. Now I refuse to touch the damned things because I realize how bad my addictive personality hooks up with them

That's my story.

*sits down*
Lover and would be writer of fantasy
My tumblelog on writing

Offline Lyz

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 04:49:29 AM »
Good for you, Wizard! At least you were able to get away; that's really showing some inner strength. :)

I don't play as often as I used to, but that has to do with the fact that I now work a full-time job and I don't have anyone to play with. MMOs are more of a social outlet for me...

Yeah... I'm one of those people who doesn't have many friends in real life. :\
Elizabeth Mace Giosia. Call me Lyz. 29. Leo. Fantasy Faction Staff Member, Reviews. Owner of Giosia Photography and Stoneheart Cosplay

Offline Overlord

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 08:43:53 AM »
Played Runescape as a kid but the amount of hours I put into it sickens me now, lol. I try to avoid them after the 12-15 hour days of Runescape for 2-3 years :P
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline WizardofWestmarch

• Half a King
  • Awesomeness at a Mile High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 07:28:12 PM »
Played Runescape as a kid but the amount of hours I put into it sickens me now, lol. I try to avoid them after the 12-15 hour days of Runescape for 2-3 years :P

Haha while I never did Runescape I played a lot of MUDS into college... to the point I became an implementer on one LoL.

And Kit: An at the time girlfriend (LDR) is how I got into WoW in the first place, though I kept playing after we broke up as I'd gotten into a guild (easy to do as a priest ;)) and it just went downhill from there :P
Lover and would be writer of fantasy
My tumblelog on writing

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 07:39:44 PM »
I am too scared to go anywhere near any of those games!football manager is addictive enough for me!
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Lyz

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 10:19:41 PM »
And Kit: An at the time girlfriend (LDR) is how I got into WoW in the first place, though I kept playing after we broke up as I'd gotten into a guild (easy to do as a priest ;)) and it just went downhill from there :P

Ah, yes. That's actually how I started gaming, period; my fiance games pretty hardcore, and so I managed to find my way into after he did. AoC is probably the only game that I've actually really stuck with for a long period of time.

I know what you mean about the priests finding guilds easily! I didn't have a priest in WoW (I played a Paladin, actually), but in AoC the priests are definitely the classes (yes, they have three different priest classes) that get scooped up by guilds and raiding coaltions. I am proud to number myself among them. :P

Offline DrMclony

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 01:39:39 AM »
love a good mmo. lol.

been making my own but havent touched it this year much while the engine gets an overhaul. www.postexodus.com

Offline Tegh

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 06:53:38 AM »
I've been playing MMO's for a long time.

Currently playing:

Rift (great graphics and storyline, and charter creation/play style)
WoW (Since it came out...)
FFXIV (They are still trying to fix it up, but it has great potential)
DCUO (For a short stint)

A few free ones I don't play much any more:

Ragnarok
Maple Story

Couldn't get into Runscape at all.
If any are interested in a small sample of my writing...

http://www.fictionpress.com/u/694214/Tegh

Offline oppos3d

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 08:59:43 PM »
I love mmo games but they do not love me... 

I played wow for 4 years, had an 85 DK, 85 Warrior, 85 Druid, 85 mage, 80 Paladin, 80 hunter, and a level 20 warlock...  i had to quit!

I also played RIFT, AION, FF14, Warhammer, LOTRO, D&D online, Requiem Bloodymare (free), Forsaken World (free), Runes of Magic (free), league of Legends (free and amazing)

I would suggest either WoW (if you dont mind being consumed by its ever grasping addictiveness) or RIFT (amazing game, amazing graphics, people are just as elitist as they are in WoW but its still a good game to waste some time and do what MMO'ers love to do, progress)

Offline graveyardhag

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 12:52:55 AM »
I play www.kingdomofloathing.com
It's not quite the same as the games you guys are playing, as it's a text based, not a graphic world you move around in.
It's great fun though, full of pop culture refrences, heaps of in game holidays (it's Crimbo season right now) and loads of things to do at every level.
It's free to play, with a donation system if you want the item-of-the-month.
I've been playing for a little over 3 years now, have my own (tiny) clan and everything.
It's not for everyone, but well worth checking out.
"Eva, can I stack Rod's sad-ass dork cats in a cave?"

Offline Francis Knight

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 02:53:22 PM »
Gave up WOW when I decided to start taking my writing seriously. Um, 3 years ago.

However, I just started playing SW:TOR. It's awesome.
My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline oppos3d

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 01:25:50 PM »
All of my friends will be playing SWTOR...  I however cannot.  I gave up hardcore mmo playing after my daughter was born.  Well, I didnt give it up right away, but after seeing that the time I spent playing had affected my time with my daughter I swiftly gave up.  I tried to play again with RIFT coming out, thinking that I could control myself, but I could not and will not.  I get infatuated with games like this and can not play casual regardless of how hard I try.  My wife tells me she doesnt mind me playing games as long as they have a pause button (raids in wow would take 2-4 hours depending, and I was the main tank...)

Offline Arthum

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 04:55:12 PM »
I used to play SilkRoad Online and Voyage Century but I didn't play those games in quite a while. I just feel a bigger attachment to single player games. But I used to spend even whole nights with a mate of mine playing SilkRoad  :D A good mmorpg but lacking in a true story-line. But that is not what it truly is about MMORPG's, it is all about the challenge of playing against other people or of cooperating which in SilkRoad is essential for European characters which I simply love in that game ^^
In high school I used to play Tibia and Runescape but those are times of old :D

Offline Bookwithoutpics

• Seeker
  • Book blogger and aspiring librarian
    • View Profile
    • Books Without Any Pictures
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 07:42:05 PM »
I play WoW and SWTOR, although I don't spend as much time on either as I used to.  I'm afraid I've turned into a bit of a casual, albeit a casual who has five 85s...