June 01, 2020, 02:52:59 AM

Author Topic: Mass Effect: Andromeda  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 10:27:11 PM »
^^ This had me sending an emergency message to my daughter - because I pre-ordered for my Grandson at Christmas  :D :D Fortunately she thinks it hilarious and he is 16 after all. I shall wait a while then innocently ask if he is enjoying it and is it special at all. ;D ;D ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Yopla

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 08:42:29 AM »
Ooooh, I'm all over this one. The hate is real.

Spoiler for Hiden:
For three games, you go from the Geth and Quarians being at one another's throats, starting from the Geth are this race of unrelatable evil, who are mindlessly following Saren. In ME2 you see they're really not that at all, but actually have their own distinct culture and mindset, capable of empathy and compassion, beyond just cold logic. You then spend two fucking games making nice between Tali and Legion (if you play the paragon options), and then going one step further in ME3 to actually unite the Geth and Quarians, and end their centuries long war. You spend three games proving that organics and synthetics can get along. You've just done it.

And then what's the climax at the end? Organics and synthetics can never get along. Fucking really? REALLY? Well then what the fuck have I been doing for three fucking games? You can't have me spend 3 games ACHIEVING THE IMPOSSIBLE, and then tell me "Nah, but jk lol. It really was impossible."

Synthesis isn't a thing. That's not a resolution, when the theme up till now has been that species and people are great because of their diversity, and then the solution to ending all this conflict is homogenization. So much rage.

I don't say this is the best ending they could come up with, just not a bad one. After seeing the mess of Dragon Age 2, I've been worried about Bioware and the ME3 (and my first run of the game was kind of a "Meh" all along) until the end. I've found it a little simple (and the end "cinematics" where really lazy) but...

Spoiler for Hiden:
I really like the sacrifice thing and the opposition between destruction (The Illusive Man or Anderson ways) and creation (the synthesis).

I've never consider the ending like you (probably because I've never been able to unite the Geths and Quarriens: I knew that I have probably miss something during ME2 and ME3 to fail at that unification, but never found what it was. And when you don't achieve the unification, they are pretty stubborn about their hate of each other... so mixing flesh and machine at the end doesn't seem so stupid to me. Because, even with the Krogans vs Turiens and Salariens, they spend fighting and insulting each other most of the game, and many within these races think the future will be grim and full of wars with the new Krogan "empire". So...

But yes, you're kind of right. It's still the weakest ending in the trilogy, when it should have been the greatest. But, I don't know, I like it. And I think people are a little harsh with their hate of this ending, but it's just my opinion. I don't say that I'm right and the others wrong ^^
Bouh.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 08:58:24 AM »
Indoctrination Theory beats all those three endings (or four if you shoot Space Kid).
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 02:50:34 PM »
Indoctrination Theory beats all those three endings (or four if you shoot Space Kid).

Spoiler for Hiden:
You can shoot the space brat? Alright, I take it all back. I'm replaying from ME1 this time, I only played ME3 the once, since at the time they hadn't put the enhanced endings in yet. I'll have to give some of the other endings a try. Right now I'm going for entire squad extinction (sans Shepard) in ME2, just to see how empty ME3 feels on an import.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 08:10:27 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
I remember I arranged things to make sure everyone died, including Shepard. Only Joker survives and at the end The Illusive Man facepalms.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 06:41:39 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
You can shoot the space brat? Alright, I take it all back. I'm replaying from ME1 this time, I only played ME3 the once, since at the time they hadn't put the enhanced endings in yet. I'll have to give some of the other endings a try. Right now I'm going for entire squad extinction (sans Shepard) in ME2, just to see how empty ME3 feels on an import.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I remember I arranged things to make sure everyone died, including Shepard. Only Joker survives and at the end The Illusive Man facepalms.

You are both horrible people.

That said, I have a random theory I want to share. This is not a spoiler, since no one has spoilers yet, but a wild prediction.

So I mentioned before that the front-and-center human female crewmember in Andromeda (Cora Harper) shares a last name with Jack Harper (a.k.a. The Illusive Man, head of Cerberus) ... although the Illusive Man's real name is not common knowledge, which means most people in universe wouldn't think much of Cora's last name. Because this is fiction, and not real life, I find it hard to believe that the writers at Bioware (who are super conscious about names, as are all fiction designers) chose this name by accident. For this reason, I believe it's very likely that Cora is a child of The Illusive Man, or a relative.

Now, accepting this fact, it gives us two possibilities. The simplest, and easiest to explain, is that at some point in the story, Cora's heritage will be revealed. It'll be a big red flag not to trust her (she was raised by the Illusive Man!) but you'll have to overcome it. So Cora will have a desire for redemption to make up for her father's mistakes.

However, this is not the theory that interests me. The theory that interests me, instead, is that Cora Harper is a sleeper agent for Cerberus - and in fact believes whole-heartedly in their "humanity first" agenda.

This works for a number of reasons. If there is one thing Bioware has shown it likes to do, consistently, it is to up their emotional game. Make you care about characters, and then do bad things that toy with your emotions. The most blatant example of this was in Mass Effect 1, which I'll put in spoilers for the two people who haven't played it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
On the Virmire mission, you have to sacrifice Ashley or Kaiden. There's no way around this, and both have been with you since the beginning. Also, they are high up on the chance to be your Shepherd's love interest. Having to choose which squadmate to lose, while throwing in the possible additional motivation of your Shepherd's love for one of them, was a big deal, and a nice emotional kicker.

Now, assuming Bioware wants to one up themselves, I think they could take this a step further. Presumably, Andromeda won't be stand alone - they could do another trilogy of Mass Effect games set in the Pathfinder setting. What would be great - no, actually amazing - is if they have Cora turn on you at the very end, basically, taking the role of The Illusive Man from the original series. Thinking she is saving humanity, but at the expense of everyone else.

Imagine the gut punch there. Cora Harper is set up to be one of your (male) Ryder's most likely love interests, being the main human female in the game and obviously attractive. Now add to that that she's so integral to the story that she'll be with you from the start. Now imagine the character that you've working with in the game since the beginning, the character your Ryder may even be in love with, turning on you near the end of Andromeda and becoming the next big bad. In the next game, now your Ryder may be actively fighting against the woman he loved, or, at least, a woman he cares about deeply.

So to one-up killing one of your squadmates, they actually turn one of your squadmates into the VILLAIN of the Andromeda sequel, with a reveal at the end of Andromeda where she turns. It's a great emotional beat and something they haven't done to my knowledge, though they did approach it with Liliana in Dragon Age.

So, that is my crazy prediction, all based on speculation about one character's last name. I love the idea, and there's a good chance I'm wrong, but if I'm right? Man, that'll be awesome.

Offline Justan Henner

• Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 02:25:23 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

You are both horrible people.

I dunno... You had the opportunity to murder all your virtual friends in an epic and bloody disaster, and you didn't take it. That's very concerning.

Alright, my virtual FF friends. It's time for work, see you soon!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:31:19 PM by Justan Henner »

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 06:50:25 PM »
Wow, tebakutis post just showed how I'm not that hyped for the game. I never accompanied any media release about it. I even thought Andromeda was a prequel (when humans just discovered a mass relay) not a sequel.

I mean, I'll eventually play it but I'm not sure if I will get it day 1. I have my sights on the new Fire Emblem, and it only comes on May.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 04:01:07 PM »
So I'm about 6 hours in and loving it. It really reminds me of the first Mass Effect, where it has more of a general exploration vibe than a "fight off looming invasion" vibe. I *loved* ME2 (still my favorite) and ME3, but both of them were about a very specific threat (the Reapers) which made it less likely you could just explore for the sake of exploration. Andromeda has brought that all back. I've got my first planet up to 80% viability and I want to do more. I'm genuinely looking forward to "colony building" and exploration, and I like that the game is letting me do that. Of course, I'm sure the "main plot" is going to hit me upside the head very soon, but still, I'm digging the game overall.

As far as the Internet complaints about bad animations ... totally blown out of proportion. I've seen maybe one or two not so good animations in six hours of play, and they were honestly not noticeable. It might be because I work in game dev, so I have an understanding of how animation systems can randomly break down and how hard it is to fix bugs you can't reproduce, but the Internet complaints seem very overblown.

The game has exploration, great combat (currently I'm rolling a sniper/assault rifle build, with biotics to shield myself and paralyze enemies when they get close) and an interesting cast of characters. So far, I'm not as attached to the new cast as I was to say, the cast from ME2, but again, they almost feel like the cast from ME1 ... a smaller group that will grow over this game and subsequent games. I'm also not digging Scott Ryder (doing a male Ryder playthrough first, with a Sara Ryder playthrough after) as much as I dug Shepherd, but he's growing on me. He just has to do something about that horrible facial hair.

So overall, if you are a Mass Effect fan and can do so, play Andromeda. It's, IMO, a great game that shows respect to what came before and captures what made the first game so fun ... that sense of exploration and seeking to reveal the unknown.

Offline Justan Henner

• Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 04:09:33 AM »
Also loving this. Yeah the animation stuff is pretty overblown. I get it a little; it doesn't look like mass effect you know, but it grows on you. For example, Kandros looks too washed out to me, but tbh I was more bothered by the slow talking salarians.

Tip for you. When you have the choice, do Voeld second. I think they gave the choice for game design purposes, but it doesn't feel like it was intended to split there narratively. There are some things you learn/see on Voeld that aren't explained unless you did the other planet first.

I was also hesitant about the cast, but I like them more and more, the further I get. Oddly enough, I think Kallo, Lexi, and the science officer are my favorites so far.