July 19, 2019, 03:39:31 PM

Author Topic: MARVEL FINALLY GET THEIR HANDS ON SPIDERMAN  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Overlord

MARVEL FINALLY GET THEIR HANDS ON SPIDERMAN
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:27:49 PM »
We’d all heard of Marvel’s plans for the next ‘phase’ of the Avengers franchise… plenty of new characters that would expand the Universe, freshen the franchise up and take the focus off the current ageing / increasingly in demand cast. We’d even heard rumours of a certain web-slinging, wall-climbing superhero being a big part of such plans… However, with Marvel/Disney not owning the rights to Spiderman – Sony had, and still has, them – it seemed all so very, very far away.

Well, time to punch the air with your fist because today Sony and Marvel have agreed a deal where the two studios will work together in such a way that Marvel will be heavily involved in the creation of future Spiderman films (thank goodness, right? The last two Sony films have NOT been up-to-par with any of Marvel’s releases) and – if we understand the press release correctly – bring the Spiderman Universe and Marvel universe into sync. The short version of all this is that Spiderman movies featuring The Avengers or Avengers movies featuring Spiderman (please-please-please) are likely just a few years away.

Under the deal, the new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film from Marvel’s Cinematic Universe (MCU). We would assume this will be Captain America: Civil War next year, however whether this will be a full ‘appearance’ or an ‘after credits’ one is anyones guess. Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, in a film that will be co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the web slinger. Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films.

The only bad news in this announcement is that a few films have been put back a bit and one cancelled. To start with the worst news: the Sinister Six film now looks to have been completely written off. With that being said, there were already signs of it struggling behind the scenes. The pushing back of movies is minor, each being pushed back just a couple of months to make room for the Spider-man film. These include Thor: Ragnorak, Black Panther, Inhumans and Captain America 4.

Bob Iger, Chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company said: “Spider-Man is one of Marvel’s great characters, beloved around the world. We’re thrilled to work with Sony Pictures to bring the iconic web-slinger into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which opens up fantastic new opportunities for storytelling and franchise building.”

“I am thrilled to team with my friends at Sony Pictures along with Amy Pascal to produce the next Spider-Man movie,” said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. “Amy has been deeply involved in the realization on film of one of the world’s most beloved characters. Marvel’s involvement will hopefully deliver the creative continuity and authenticity that fans demand from the MCU. I am equally excited for the opportunity to have Spider-Man appear in the MCU, something which both we at Marvel, and fans alike, have been looking forward to for years.”

Spider-Man, embraced all over the world, is the most successful franchise in the history of Sony Pictures, with the five films having taken in more than $4 billion worldwide. We can’t wait to see what the Marvel and Sony link results in…

You guys happy to see this? Do you think it will open the door to a negotiation over X-Men with Fox? And, now phase 3 of the Marvel franchise looks to be progressing ahead nicely, who do you think the main players will be?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:29:59 PM by Overlord »
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Overlord

Re: MARVEL FINALLY GET THEIR HANDS ON SPIDERMAN
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 11:29:33 PM »
The first film released in the MCU was Iron Man (2008), which began the first phase of films, culminating in Marvel's The Avengers (2012). Phase Two began with Iron Man 3 (2013), and is expected to conclude with Ant-Man (2015). Marvel is also preparing Phase Three, beginning with the release of Captain America: Civil War (2016). The universe began to expand with the release of the first official tie-in comics in 2010, and saw further expansion with the Marvel One-Shots direct-to-video short films in 2011 and the TV series Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the 2013–14 season. Marvel has multiple films and television projects in various stages of development.

Confirmed Phase 3 Films

Captain America: Civil War (2016)
Doctor Strange (2016)
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017)
Spider-Man (2017)
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
Avengers: Infinity War Part I (2018)
Black Panther (2018)
Captain Marvel (2018)
Avengers: Infinity War Part II (2019)
Inhumans (2019)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:55:28 PM »
So does this mean Spiderman gets rebooted again? If so could be the perfect opportunity to film it with Miles Morales in the spider suit.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Overlord

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 12:02:43 AM »
So does this mean Spiderman gets rebooted again? If so could be the perfect opportunity to film it with Miles Morales in the spider suit.

That would be awesome - I think the MM comics are some of the best Marvel are currently putting out (those and Hawkeye / Spectacular Foes). Now you mention it I think that Morales is more intone with the current Marvel franchises - I can imagine him fitting far, far better alongside the likes of the Guardians than Parker.

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 12:30:00 AM »
They've already confirmed it's going to be Peter Parker again, unfortunately. I'd have liked to have seen Miles Morales as well. Although considering the whining we got from Michael B. Jordan's casting as the Human Torch...

On the plus side though, I seriously doubt they're going to re-retell the origin story, especially since Spidey is set to make a cameo in either Civil War or Dr Strange (most likely the former).
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 04:10:14 AM »
If they reboot Spider-man again I might have to punch somebody.
I really hope this prompts fox to allow the same with X-Men.
So question. Is the Fantastic Four reboot not covered under Marvel? Because they play a big part in Civil War as well. If not, then they should join the club.

Offline Ender

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 05:59:21 AM »
So question. Is the Fantastic Four reboot not covered under Marvel? Because they play a big part in Civil War as well. If not, then they should join the club.

Hell yes on the spider-man reboot.  I will boycott another reboot.  Just enough, at least for now.  If at some point down the line they want to reboot for Miles, that might be cool; especially if his origin story is pretty different from Peter's.  One of the things that got me most excited about the new FF4 movie was that they were making changes to the origin story (and the tone of the trailer was great!).  If you're gonna reboot, go on and change it.  I could care less about what the comic does, just make a good movie that doesn't bore me because it's a slightly different rehash of something I've seen before just 5 years ago.  Same goes for a Batman reboot anytime in the next 20 years.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 03:16:23 AM »

Hell yes on the spider-man reboot.  I will boycott another reboot.  Just enough, at least for now.  If at some point down the line they want to reboot for Miles, that might be cool; especially if his origin story is pretty different from Peter's.  One of the things that got me most excited about the new FF4 movie was that they were making changes to the origin story (and the tone of the trailer was great!).  If you're gonna reboot, go on and change it.  I could care less about what the comic does, just make a good movie that doesn't bore me because it's a slightly different rehash of something I've seen before just 5 years ago.  Same goes for a Batman reboot anytime in the next 20 years.
It would have to look absolutely amazing in order for me to go see a Batman reboot. The last movies did such a good job. I felt more like I was watching a book play out on a screen. The plot was fantastic!

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 03:40:14 PM »
I will be honest and say this worries me greatly. Personally I find Spider-Man childish, what I like about the MCU is that all the characters are grown-ups, what I dislike about Spidey is all the angsty will-they-wont-they teenage bullshit. That - for me - does not sit with the more adult orientated MCU.

Now if they forgo the usual Parker the high-school kid and aim for a more mature/grown-up/settled in his role Parker I'll be happy. If they dont - and go with the afore mentioned angsty BS - then I'll be giving those movies a miss.

For me Spidey was never the main attraction, my favourites have and always will be Thor, Hulk and Namor.
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 04:15:36 PM »
For me Spidey was never the main attraction, my favourites have and always will be Thor, Hulk and Namor.
For me it was always: Daredevil, X-men, Avengers... None of which represent the best of the movies, unfortunately
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 04:43:58 PM »
For me it was always: Daredevil, X-men, Avengers... None of which represent the best of the movies, unfortunately
How can you say X-Men and Avengers don't represent the best of the movies? Sure X-Men's had some hit and miss, but the first two X-Men films, First Class and Days of Future Past were all great. And Avengers is one of my favourite superhero movies period.

The less said about Daredevil, the better though.

5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 05:48:08 PM »
How can you say X-Men and Avengers don't represent the best of the movies? Sure X-Men's had some hit and miss, but the first two X-Men films, First Class and Days of Future Past were all great. And Avengers is one of my favourite superhero movies period.

You're probably right about X-men.  I was so excited about Days of Future Past, and all the scenes in the past were great.  But for some reason, the scenes in the alternate future lacked something, and it took away from the movie.

OK, I may be the only fanboy on the planet who felt that Avengers didn't stand up to 2nd viewing.  I'm not impressed by huge numbers of aliens that supposedly invincible but miss constantly, etc.  But, boy am I looking forward to Ultron.

Here's my scoring out of 4 stars, just for the heck of it:

GG   4

IM1 4
IM2 2.5
IM3 3

Th1   3.5
Th2   3

X1   3.5
X2   4
X3   2 (biggest disappointment ever)
X1C   3.5
XDFP   3

SM1   4
SM2   3
SM3   2
(Forget the SM reboot)

DD   2.5 (I'm sure others will disagree)

FF1   2
FF2   2.5

Wolv1   2.5
Wolv2   2.5 on a stretch

Am I forgetting anything (other than Ghost Rider and various Punishers?)

Oh yeah, Hulk:

H1   2
H1.1   3  (loved Norton)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 10:44:55 PM »

I largely agree with this, especially about Avengers. I also thought Captain America: Winter Soldier was a class above plenty of other superhero films.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com