October 21, 2018, 01:33:47 AM

Author Topic: LoTR and IPs, the Good the Bad and the Ugly  (Read 545 times)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
LoTR and IPs, the Good the Bad and the Ugly
« on: April 08, 2018, 03:33:10 AM »

So looks like we're getting a 5-season LoTR
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/how-lord-rings-tv-series-landed-at-amazon-not-netflix-1099213

I've been pretty disillusioned with intellectual properties lately.  I mean on the good side, they did a great job with, say, Harry Potter.  On the bad side, you've got Disney murdering Star Wars, after it had already been bludgeoned to death by it's creator. Don't get me started on spiderman or batman's 3000 film iterations.

I feel like there's some great IPs-- I read shitons of Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms books as a kid and they obviously ranged in quality, but I liked them.  But when you get a studio buying up a recognizeable name to milk it... it just sounds like bad news.  The first 3 LoTR films were great, but the Hobbit trilogy seemed like a preview for what they're going to do.

I feel like TV studios have gotten even more aggressive with the idea that it doesn't have to be good, it just has to have a marketable name to sell.  I wish things were art-inspired... like they would just wait until someone has a good script instead of leading with the intellectual property.

I'm not hopeful. How about you guys?

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
Re: LoTR and IPs, the Good the Bad and the Ugly
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 03:42:11 AM »
I agree with all your points, and though I am not diametrically opposed to your worry, I will offer an encouraging thought or two.

We are in a golden age of TV that is SO MUCH BETTER than film recently. Game of Thrones, Westworld, Man in the Tower, Altered Carbon, and others are just damned good entertainment.

Don't get me wrong, many series do not live up to expectations, but the percentage of successful TV series is so much higher than films, to my mind. So take heart - perhaps it will be great.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 12:40:27 PM »
I think television usually has the edge over film when it comes to adaptations, especially for longer works. That said, if the show overtakes the source material, it might be time to start worrying about the quality.

Offline Yora

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 04:50:04 PM »
Last weekend I saw Fury Road. A good movie, but merely "good". It got a lot of hype for being the best movie in years. And on some consideration, I actually agree that it's the best movie I've seen from the past 10 years. And the third best movie I've seen from the past 20 years.
But it's still merely good.

All the really great movies I know are from the late 70s to late 80s. And late 80s happens to be just the time when the remakes, sequels, and adaptations really took off. It might be commercially successful, but artistically the last 30 years have been a drought.
Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

There is nothing to read!

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 07:30:23 PM »
The best movie I've ever seen is from 2002

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 09:53:09 PM »
The best movie I've ever seen is from 2002

Which is...?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 12:59:14 AM »
City of God

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 10:21:25 AM »
I'm worried. I mean, we've already got a pretty good three film adaptation of LOTR too, so there didn't really seemed to be a necessity of having another TV series for it. Gonna keep updated in case it turns out epic though.