July 14, 2020, 08:44:05 PM

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 2842 times)

Offline oppos3d

Lord of the Rings
« on: December 29, 2011, 03:01:04 PM »
Yeah, I finally will be able to watch all three LOTR movies this weekend.  A friend let me borrow his blue-ray trilogy set.  The movies have been out so long and I have yet to watch them all the way through.  Cant wait!

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
Re: Lord of the Rings
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 07:08:50 PM »
Do you have the director's cut or the regular ones?  The originals are good but the director's cut is even better. :)

Offline oppos3d

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 02:40:27 PM »
Im pretty sure its the directors cut.  Each movie case has 5 discs in it, 2 of which are the blue ray discs for the movie.  I do not know, I will reply back on monday after I have watched every one of them this weekend!  im so stoked.

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 04:37:06 PM »
Im pretty sure its the directors cut.  Each movie case has 5 discs in it, 2 of which are the blue ray discs for the movie.  I do not know, I will reply back on monday after I have watched every one of them this weekend!  im so stoked.

I'm jealous.  I've wanted to have a movie marathon of LotR since all the disks came out.  But my husband and I have religious differences on the subject.  He thinks the movies are the work of the devil. ;D

*Edit*
Since he saw me post that, let me clarify. ;D  He LOVES the books and wasn't happy with the liberties taken in the movies. ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:40:16 PM by Autumn2May »

Offline Funky Scarecrow

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 06:35:35 PM »
Without getting spoilery for anyone who hasn't watched them yet (How? How did you manage that?), it was Faramir, right? It's always Faramir. I was going with the flow (although through gritted teeth about the changes to Gimli), some of the changes made sense after all, right up to Faramir.
I am NOT short. I'm further away than I look.

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 06:45:09 PM »
Without getting spoilery for anyone who hasn't watched them yet (How? How did you manage that?), it was Faramir, right? It's always Faramir. I was going with the flow (although through gritted teeth about the changes to Gimli), some of the changes made sense after all, right up to Faramir.

He didn't like the addition of screen time for certain female elves either.  But really, he was mad they didn't make it into like 10 movies and do it word for word. :P  He's a purest. :)

I thought they did a decent job considering the time constraints.  I also loved the casting and the visuals were amazing! :)

Offline Jeni

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 10:06:50 PM »
I thought Hugo Weaving would have been much better suited to the part of Ranger/ Aaragorn than Viggo Mortensen (who would have been much better suited to a L'Oreal commercial :P)

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 10:34:10 AM »
Faramir was wrong.  The female elf was a good change - FFS, it was a major weakness of the book that it was so male centric, it Jackson hadn't made those changes, the film would have been more homoerotic than 300.  

Actually its a major bug bear of mine, people who expect adaptations to be totally loyal to the book.  No, they shouldn't be.  It is a different medium with a much bigger audience.  Plus the books were written in the 40s, the films were made in the noughties - its a different era - Peter Jackson would be a lazy and untalented director if he hadn't made the changes he did.  And look at Watchmen - a very loyal adaptation.  Not a bad film, but not great either, unlike the graphic novel that it was adapted from, which is one of the greatest ever written.  If Synder had taken some risks, for example updating it, and rooting the story in today's world and problems, he might have made one of the greatest superhero movies ever.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 10:45:25 AM by the_hound »
The Real Powers That Be

Offline oppos3d

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 12:03:37 PM »
I have not yet read the books, but me and my wife did pull a marathon weekend and finished all three movies in succession...   wow.  all i can say is wow.  it actually made me re-download lord of the rings online and start a new character.  I was extremely impressed with the movies and the world that Tolkien created.  Gimli was definately my favorite character and gave the movie a little humor in times of desperation and sadness, Legolas was also amazing and is the type of elf I would want to be  lol.  I thought overall there was nothing I can think the movie could have done to better itself, however as I said I did not read the books and have nothing to compare it to.

I can say one thing though...  I am SO glad I didnt watch these in the theatres.  I could not imagine watching fellowship of the ring or two towers and letting them end the way they did in a theatre, knowing I would have to wait umpty months until the next one came out to continue on with the story.

Offline Minesril

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 04:30:14 PM »
Yep the changes to Faramir irritate me every time I see Two Towers.  I also get annoyed by Gandalf's complete personality transplant in Fellowship.

However, I really like Arwen replacing Glorfindel - I think it definitely makes sense to show her relationship with Aragorn.  Also the chase to rivendell is one of the best bits about the film!

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 05:05:26 PM »
The films aren't perfect - and this particularly shows in Two Towers.  Faramir is supposed to be the leader and man that Boromir wasn't  - which is why it was so tragic that he was rejected by his own father in Return of the King, and why we are so happy he ends up with a woman who would ride into battle and slay a Nazgul. 

Gimli is played far too often as the comedy dwarf, Aragon is too often supposedly killed before miraculously reappearing.

BUT

I still remember having goosebumps when watching the first one on opening night - it looked just as I had imagined it, and was just soo soo perfect.  One of the best book to film adaptations I hAve ever had the pleasure of watching. 
The Real Powers That Be