July 20, 2019, 09:11:08 PM

Author Topic: His Dark Materials to be a BBC tv series  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: His Dark Materials to be a BBC tv series
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 03:21:11 PM »
So I should read the books, right?

Overall they're a unique mixed bag. I would recommend them, but they do decrease in quality as the series goes on. You will be lectured on Philip Pullman's opinions, but I was able to put up with them and I disagree with them completely.

But I do think the new series he's working on in the same world is better. There's only one book out so far, I think the second one is coming out this year, but the universe just feels more believable and concrete. I was pretty pleased with it because I always wanted him to flesh out the world a little more.

Wow, could not disagree more. I found his newest book extremely disappointing and much behind in terms of quality. I'm not sure how a weird venture in fairyland and a vilain who can outdo heroes without any of the necessary tools to do so, would be more realistic? I definitely felt he let his fancy and plot crafting go out the window.

But the original trilogy was excellent, and not especially preachy in my opinion.

Magnus will have to read on and see for himself.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 03:52:07 PM »
So I should read the books, right?

Overall they're a unique mixed bag. I would recommend them, but they do decrease in quality as the series goes on. You will be lectured on Philip Pullman's opinions, but I was able to put up with them and I disagree with them completely.

But I do think the new series he's working on in the same world is better. There's only one book out so far, I think the second one is coming out this year, but the universe just feels more believable and concrete. I was pretty pleased with it because I always wanted him to flesh out the world a little more.

Wow, could not disagree more. I found his newest book extremely disappointing and much behind in terms of quality. I'm not sure how a weird venture in fairyland and a vilain who can outdo heroes without any of the necessary tools to do so, would be more realistic? I definitely felt he let his fancy and plot crafting go out the window.

But the original trilogy was excellent, and not especially preachy in my opinion.

Magnus will have to read on and see for himself.

Yeah, I'd still recommend them, even if I will probably end up preferring the new series more. They're unique books with some great ideas and a really interesting world.

As for the preachiness, there's others out there who do it worse. I think Terry Goodkind has a reputation for being one. There are worse sins a book can commit than being preachy. Like being boring.

Although in my opinion 'The Amber Spyglass' does that as well.

Got to say I'm hyped for this, along with the 'War of the Worlds' series.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 04:51:23 PM »
Just to really bring the shallow to this conversation, the trailer is fantastic but basically all I thought the entirety of my first viewing of it was, "How does James McAvoy keep getting hotter???" :D

Hahaha I really do *not* see the appeal of James McAvoy. #teampatrickstewartforprofessorx