April 12, 2021, 09:44:26 PM

Author Topic: Good TV Series  (Read 1468 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
Good TV Series
« on: January 09, 2017, 11:55:41 AM »
Lately, I've been hearing a lot of good words about these following series, so I'm planning to get a look at them soon. What do fellow fantasy forum members think of them? What are your personal comments, reviews on these TV shows?

Westworld
Stranger Things
The Night Of

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Good TV Series
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 12:00:56 PM »
I've only seen Westworld out of those 3, but I really loved it!!
It messes up your brain, and you can take it as deep or as lighthearted as you want :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 01:38:17 PM »
Same as Bea, and we had a whole thread on Westworld, where we were (*fairly*) disciplined with spoilers.  IMHO watch WW - do not pass Go; do not collect $200; and above all - do not look it up on the Interwebs!
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Quill

• Godling
  • Chronicler of Adal
    • Annals of Adal
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 02:10:17 PM »
Westworld is exactly what science fiction should be, in my opinion. Interesting premise based on technological advancement, which explores and questions the fundamentals of being human. If you like science fiction when it does that, you will like this one.

Stranger Things: If you like horror and the 80's, this is the thing. Especially if you like horror in the lovecraftian style, but updated to a mpre modern setting.
The Eagle's Flight - Free ebook for fantasy fans at www.annalsofadal.net

Latest blog post - 7 Ways to Help Indie Authors: www.annalsofadal.net/blog

Offline ultamentkiller

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 04:02:02 PM »
Westworld is pretty cool. I watched half of Season 1, but haven't picked it up since. I think if I had been watching it on a week by week basis, I would've liked it more, but I don't feel like it's meant for bingeing.
Stranger Things was super fun. It didn't terrify me or anything, but the episodes are pretty intense. I give it a 4 out of 5.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 02:13:43 AM »
Thank you so much! Westworld does sounds really intriquing, I will definitely check that out.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 04:58:00 AM »
Haven't seen the 3rd one, but loved both Westworld and Stranger Things. If forced to choose between the two I'd probably go for Stranger Things, but they're vastly different shows.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 04:07:04 PM »
I saw The Night Of. My wife and I joked that it really should have been called "The Night of Really Poor Decisions" because the title character just does so many incredibly stupid things in quick succession. However, given his situation, age, and background, it actually doesn't stretch belief that he could make such a awful mess of things, but it is a bit like watching a trainwreck (in an entertaining way).

Although it's not among my top shows on HBO, I liked it. The actors did a great job, and my main complaint is that a couple of the plot threads don't seem to go anywhere. But ... if you want a detailed look at how harrowing the US criminal justice system can be for even an innocent person (and their family) it does an excellent job of showing that.

Being arrested for a crime in the US (not convicted, mind you, simply arrested) can be a life ender if you don't have the money to pay for bail, or the judge denies bail. Even an innocent person may spend months or years in a dangerous prison like Rikers Island waiting for their trial, due to overcrowding in the local jails. Poor families often go broke simply trying to pay for competent legal counsel, without which, even if the person arrested is innocent, they may still up accepting a plea bargain and going to jail anyway.

The show makes an excellent argument that the way we handle criminal prosecution and incarceration in the US is often more likely to make people criminals, not reform them, especially if those people are unfortunate enough to be poor.

So, once you've watched both Westworld and Stranger Things (both of which I highly recommend!), if you're still interested, give The Night Of a watch.

Trivia: The Night Of was supposed to come out six years ago, and much of it was filmed then. They had filmed the first episode, with James Gandolfini (from The Sopranos) playing the lawyer and also acting an an Executive Producer. Then, Gandolfini died.

That threw the project into limbo, and eventually, John Turtorro, a good friend of Gandolfini's, agreed to take over the role of the lawyer. So from start to finish, The Night Of took like six to seven years because HBO and the cast were figuring out how/if they wanted to proceed without Gandolfini.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:09:19 PM by tebakutis »
T. Eric Bakutis, author of The Insurgency Saga

Offline hexa

• Bridgeburner
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 01:57:21 AM »

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 02:45:06 AM »
TV show Frasier is returning on Paramount+

https://toofab.com/photos/image_jpg_20210224_06a7993fe18b4aa89432d6af9d696849/

I heard this middle of last year, but nothing seems to have progressed.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline CameronJohnston

• Great Old One
  • Auror
    • Cameron Writes
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 07:52:27 AM »
Apparently it's only Kelsey Grammer coming back, with none of the other cast involved. This reduces my interest to 0%.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline wakarimasen

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Night Angel
  • used to be a kender...
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 11:11:31 AM »
yeah. given his status now I'd imagine they blew the budget on him.

This sounds like the sort of idea an aging exec comes up with and the digital 'youngsters' are obliged to all fawn over.

On the other hand... if you want fun TV with Kelsey Grammer in and even John Lithgow in a bit part... Trollhunters on Netflix is suprisingly good. Guillermo Del Toro turned out a few seasons based on some kids books he did with someone. It's a kids cartoon in case you aren't aware but it's also a masterclass in foreshadowing and planning ahead for how it all slots together with the subsequent 3Below and Wizards cartoons that follow it.