October 20, 2019, 11:27:55 PM

Author Topic: George R.R. Martin Skipping Comic-Con to Focus on Next Book  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
George R.R. Martin Skipping Comic-Con to Focus on Next Book
« on: March 17, 2015, 09:58:11 PM »
OK, maybe this isn't super exciting news. And I am not one to get irritated by what an author chooses to do or not do or when they complete their work, I don't think they should be chained down to their screen until they've written X amount. As much as I REALLY REALLY want the next book, I am biding my time, it will come when it is done. But, I was quite excited to see that Martin is choosing to cut back on appearances and such to focus on Winds of Winter. There is no denying all of this has had to cut in to productive writing time. So, it is still.... some day. But hopefully some day a bit sooner if he is prioritizing it on his schedule.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/412882.html
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/george-rr-martin-skipping-comic-782551
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
Re: George R.R. Martin Skipping Comic-Con to Focus on Next Book
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 10:19:24 PM »
And yet he still managed to come to some small town film festival near me a few weeks ago. Publicity stunt I'd say, and even though I don't read the books, I think we're going to be holding our breaths for a little while longer still.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 12:25:02 AM »
He missed out on Worldcon in 2007 which was held in Yokohama to concentrate on A Dance with Dragons, yet the book didn't come out until 2011. He seemed to spend most of the time whining about how his publishers had suggested that he not go and work on the book instead. I get the impression that he doesn't really enjoy SDCC anymore, it's a bit too crowded for him.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 08:51:40 AM »
I saw him at a signing session in Wellington NZ last year. I reckon the man has a lot of pressure to go around and keep the fans happy by shaking hands and signing books but that must be horribly draining and I see no reason why he wouldn't use any excuse to skip comi-con!

Good on ya m8. Write this book and just don't die on us.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Wizard Police

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 09:09:12 PM »
The good news is that he's going to be skipping out on events just so he can concentrate on the next book. The bad news is that the event he's skipping out happens in November. That means he'll have spent another entire year writing the book.

Martin owes us nothing, and I can sympathize the pressure he faces as a writer when he really has no obligation to fulfill his fans' wants, but this is frustrating to say the least.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 09:51:37 PM »
I saw him at a signing session in Wellington NZ last year. I reckon the man has a lot of pressure to go around and keep the fans happy by shaking hands and signing books but that must be horribly draining and I see no reason why he wouldn't use any excuse to skip comi-con!

Good on ya m8. Write this book and just don't die on us.
He loves that sort of thing, Nora. He adores the fame he's now got and the lifestyle it enables, but the other edge of that sword is that he's no longer as anonymous as he once was and he can't just go to a con and wander about, chat to other authors and say hi to people without being pestered. Its part of the reason he enjoys Worldcon more than others, as it doesn't seem to happen as much there, although he can't do as many panels as he once did, because once he's on it turns into a mob scene, he also can't do signings there and forget about things like Literary Beers or Kaffeeklatsches. He can however wander about without being hassled though. I saw him in the food court at the Excel centre at Loncon. He walked in, met some people he knew and sat down with them to have a chat and no one bugged him, which I think he found rather refreshing.

Offline Shimrod

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 02:58:03 PM »
I truly am curious how the development will be between the Game of Thrones TV series versus the unfinished books. Will there be different endings? The TV series are scheduled for max 7 seasons (season 5 coming up) and I can't imagine that the books will be finished within 3 years.

Weird in my view...

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 11:02:10 PM »
I truly am curious how the development will be between the Game of Thrones TV series versus the unfinished books. Will there be different endings? The TV series are scheduled for max 7 seasons (season 5 coming up) and I can't imagine that the books will be finished within 3 years.

Weird in my view...
There's two parts to this. A Song of Ice and Fire was originally envisioned by George Martin as a trilogy (the first book actually finished with a climactic event in the 3rd book), but as they say the story grew in the telling, and so the amount of books needed to tell it blew out a little. I think Martin originally said 4 when he realise it was getting larger and larger, then almost immediately upped it to 6. It stayed at 6 for a while, in fact George Martin had a bet with his wife Parris that it wouldn't go beyond 6 (he lost that). I turned into 7 when A Dance with Dragons got out of control and had to be separated into 2 books, the first half was A Feast for Crows, and the 2nd and bit A Dance with Dragons. He's now given up estimating and admitted that it could go to 8 or more, although he'd prefer that it didn't.
When HBO and by extension Benioff and Weiss got the go ahead to make the TV show George gave them insight to the ending if for whatever reason they got ahead of him, which given his snails pace progress on the books since A Storm of Swords seems to have become the reality. So they know the ending. They joke that the first question George asked them was 'So, who do you think Jon Snow's mother is?' and him letting them film the books hinged on their answer to that question. That seems to indicate that in most respects the ending of the TV show and the ending of the books will be largely the same thing.
It's actually not all that weird. Tom Doherty said that Robert Jordan originally pitched The Wheel of Time to him as a trilogy, and he was also initially told that the series finale was going to be one book, and it blew out to 3.