October 20, 2019, 08:22:42 PM

Author Topic: Game of Thrones season 8 (with spoilers)  (Read 6172 times)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
Re: Game of Thrones season 8 (with spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 11:30:57 AM »
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:15:20 PM by J.R. Darewood »

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 09:55:00 PM »
I watched number 4 and

Spoiler for Hiden:
it felt disjointed and clunky!
Secrets? What are they? No one can keep a secret, for crying out loud!
And Brienne would never change so much to be crying at Jaime leaving, that's just not her personality!
How did they manage to get Missandei, and know how important she was?
And are we at the point of "a man will be better at the job"? Really?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Jake Baelish

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2019, 04:49:09 AM »
I watched number 4 and

Spoiler for Hiden:
And Brienne would never change so much to be crying at Jaime leaving, that's just not her personality!

From a passive 'viewer who just wants to be entertained' stand point - this season has been great.

But some things seem pretty inane:

-WTF was that pointless Dothraki death charge in Ep3? No sense in that attack at all - especially if it was just going to trigger Danny so easily...

-Also, despite being impulsive, insane and arguably idiotic in some cases; Cersei and Euron seem to have (with their failed maester ally) come up with the most effective, destructive, lethal weapon in thousands of years, in a seemingly VERY short space of time; a bigger version of a common weapon...

Those giant crossbows - amazing no one came up with them before when the Greyjoys were tearing up the coasts and dragons kept 7 kept seven kingdoms in toe. Considering they can wipe out ships in no time, penetrate dragon skin as if it were paper AND, apparently, be SO EASY to use that medieval men with NO experience of surface to air combat can land 2-3 perfect hits without missing once - WTF did they practice on?

All a little bit too convenient for plot purposes imo. As was Missandei's capture.

Still, from a purely passive pov, it remains thoroughly enjoyable  ;)
Check out my book 'Prince of Fiends' here: http://amzn.eu/4l5M7OO
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...

Offline Peat

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 03:28:15 PM »
I watched number 4 and

Spoiler for Hiden:

Huh. That was my favourite so far. I liked the drama!

Few thoughts...

Spoiler for Hiden:
I personally found it pretty realistic that if you build yourself to be super resilient emotionally and super self-sufficient and then let someone in, it's going to hurt like hell if they leave because coping with that loss of trust is going to be a fairly novel experience. Particularly there and then on the spot. I might carp if Brienne becomes weak and useless for the rest of the show due to this, but the show of emotion made sense to me.

As for cocks and crowns... I think that a story that's tried to look at the grimier aspects of medieval life and power *has* to confront the implicit sexism in kingship. The conversation, with one arguing it didn't matter and the other that it did, was what I wanted. If the King ends up King just because he has a cock that would suck, but that's a way down the road.

I think that if there's something I'm disappointed about in the seeming Jon-Dany choice, and that I think does feel old and tired and a bit sexist, is that we hear a lot about Dany's faults and little about Jon's. And lets not beat around the bush - I think Dany's temper and unwavering belief in her divine right would probably make her a bad queen, but Jon's idiocy and unbending honour would make him a bad king. And he's just as bad at not taking advice. Sansa and Tyrion for the Iron Throne!

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 05:02:46 PM »
This season cements the transformation from an interesting TV show into a major hollywood blockbuster movie. Intelligent characters are now dumb, there's no sense of strategy, plot points that have been with us since day one are neatly resolved in a nonsensical battle (White Walkers), and shock value and cinematic flair seemed to have become the priority.

Also, about episode 4

Spoiler for Hiden:
Is Daenerys blind now, too? She's flying high up in the air, on a clear day, and doesn't see dozens of enemy ships because a few of them were slightly behind a rock? It was such a ludicrously stupid way of killing a dragon, I'd rather they had it killed at the battle of Winterfell. This way, though, was just a nonsensical shock surprise to get our emotions high by the end.
The show has become so poorly written, I'm just watching it now because of all the years I've remained committed, as well as my appreciation for the source material.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2019, 06:24:34 AM »
Loved everything so far. A lot. And I think most of the faults are the result of taking what should have been an extra long season and cramming it into an even shorter one. The prophecies and plot lines we're missing are on the cutting room floor, because you can't shove a size 10 foot in a size 3 shoe. My 2 cents.
Spoiler for Hiden:
As for the battle, it was perfect in terms of strategy and realism, and the faults we see as such are seen that way because they didn't have enough time for exposition dialogue. Siege engines up front, the charge, all of it actually makes great sense, in the context of not knowing what to expect. They had to be ready for multiple kinds of enemy plans, and sadly, the enemy was very smart and the worst thing you can have in an enemy - patient and careful with his most devastating weapon. I do wish the white-walkers had been engaged, but frankly, the enemy's strategy was so successful they were overkill.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Godling
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2019, 07:13:46 AM »
Is it me or is it just obvious that after they didn't have complete books by George RR to build their scripts on, the series went stupid?
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2019, 08:04:07 AM »
Is it me or is it just obvious that after they didn't have complete books by George RR to build their scripts on, the series went stupid?
I wouldn't be that harsh, but in my mind things went like this:

D&D sit with GRRM
D&D: "So, where do you see the story going?"
GRRM: "Oh, you know, X does this, Y is actually linked to W, then Z happens and boom! You can flesh out the rest"

D&D go home to write the episodes
D1: "So how was it?"
D2: "X does this, Y is actually linked to W, then Z happens and boom"
D1: "Hmmm right, anything missing? He mentioned something about fleshing out..."
D2: "Nah, this is enough. We've got boom"

;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2019, 03:12:26 PM »
I'm enjoying it but it is a bit stupid and it does feel very rushed trying to crowbar it all in, to the detriment of some character interactions.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 11:21:00 PM »
I'm enjoying it but it is a bit stupid and it does feel very rushed trying to crowbar it all in, to the detriment of some character interactions.

This.

Offline Peat

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2019, 01:34:43 AM »
It is so rushed. But then they're trying to do a suitable ending to a gigantic storyline, designed to use the more comprehensive nature of literature/do all the crazy things GRRM couldn't do as a screenwriter/showcase the chaotic effects of a power vacuum. I feel a bit of sympathy is reasonable... although how much sympathy depends on whose dumb idea only 6 episodes was. If that was forced on them, then yeah, sympathy. If they volunteered for it... bad!
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2019, 05:14:05 AM »
They should have turned to the fandom with a poll: "For $3 extra on your HBO bill for the next 4 months, we can do 10 episodes instead of 6 - what do you say?" I'd have paid and I'd have paid more than that.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2019, 08:48:09 AM »
Seems to me like they were plotting out their set budget and decided to sacrifice episodes in order to put more funds into cgi and expensive explody burning battle scenes.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2019, 09:43:11 AM »
I certainly agreed with the rushed bit, but I think that explains part of the problem, like being back to teleporting and the quick jump between plot points. The dumbing down of characters, however? That's writing.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Peat

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2019, 12:06:35 PM »
I certainly agreed with the rushed bit, but I think that explains part of the problem, like being back to teleporting and the quick jump between plot points. The dumbing down of characters, however? That's writing.

Which characters do you think they dumbed down?
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/