November 13, 2019, 03:16:02 AM

Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 3 (SPOILERS FOR BOOK AND SERIES)  (Read 20074 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Game of Thrones Season 3 (SPOILERS FOR BOOK AND SERIES)
« on: April 01, 2013, 09:06:20 PM »
I've seen a call already for this, so here goes. I know we have a general GoT S3 thread, but this one is specifically for those who have seen the show and want to talk about it. Fair warning there will be spoilers here. So if you haven't read the books or seen the episodes as they come out you may want to exercise caution.
Episode 1: Valar Dohaeris (new Valyrian word I think, not one of George's original 8) has been screened. What did everyone think? Have at it!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 06:42:09 PM by Idlewilder »
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Idlewilder

Re: Game of Thrones Season 3 (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:34:30 PM »
Episode 1: Valar Dohaeris (new Valyrian word I think, not one of George's original 8) has been screened. What did everyone think? Have at it!

It's most definitely one of GRRM's own! Braavosi for "All Men Must Serve" I believe...

I thought it was a great episode - really well balanced. Not having Jaime, Arya, Bran or Theon in this 1st episode worked and allowed it room to breathe. Liked that they did a version of the books prologue before the opening credits. And of course, the return of the badass Ser Barristan the Bold!  :D

Yep, really impressed with this opener.
Make Another World.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 01:49:56 AM »
It's most definitely one of GRRM's own! Braavosi for "All Men Must Serve" I believe...
Yep, it's used as a response to Valar Morghulis which is "All Men Must Die"

I thought it was a great episode - really well balanced. Not having Jaime, Arya, Bran or Theon in this 1st episode worked and allowed it room to breathe. Liked that they did a version of the books prologue before the opening credits. And of course, the return of the badass Ser Barristan the Bold!  :D

Yep, really impressed with this opener.
I agree. I may come back with more when I have more time/thoughts :) But I definitely enjoyed it. I think the differences from the books are all done well (and understable) And it's  testament to how much I enjoyed it that it didnt even occur to me until later that I did not see Arya (or Jaime or Bran, etc. etc.) It gives me even more to look forward to for next week!!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »
I was also really impressed with how they've already started setting up certain...events that will take place at the end of the season.

Spoiler for those who have read the books
Spoiler for Hiden:
Tywin's letter was more than likely the one he sends to either the Boltons or the Freys

And Liam Cunningham is still just the perfect Davos.  :)
Make Another World.

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 11:59:12 AM »

And Liam Cunningham is still just the perfect Davos.  :)

Elfy and I had long "discussions" when he was first cast - both of us thought he would have made a better Stannis (and the Stannis-actor make a better Davos).  I've definately come around to him as Davos now though!  :)

Thoughts on the epsisode in general:

1/ I didn't miss the not-featured characters until I sat back and thought that I didn't see them, which was a good mark of the rest of the stories.
2/ Tywin (and Cersei and various other people at King's Landing) are seriously underestimating Tyrion, and how pissed he's getting wtih his life.  And some of the lines that Tywin had seem to foreshadow what is going to happen with Shae at the end of the season/book (okay it's probably going to happen next season, but you know what I mean).
3/ I liked the opening credits - I generally fast-forward through the credits of most shows we see - but we always watch these to see what little buildings are going to happen this show.  Something that I particularly liked in this one was that Winterfell was damaged and smoking, just like the real Winterfell.
4/ Already setting up the difference between Margaery & Cersei, in that M knows that she needs the "common" people behind her, whereas C thinks that as long as she can threaten them, that's all she needs.
5/ Missed Strong Belwas in the reintroduction of Ser Barristan.  Elfy & I also had a discussion of the difference between the book and the show in their introductions.  I argued that its harder to conceal that he's Barristan, Elfy claims they could have recast someone, buit I don't think that would have worked.
6/ White Walkers are creepy, but the zombie-makeup isn't as good as what's on The Walking Dead.

I think I've babbled enough now, someone else's turn!  ;D
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 11:03:43 PM »
Like Lejays17 said I missed Strong Belwas, he'd be good for comedic value if nothing else. I think doing the reveal of Barristan so early misses a key point from the books with Dany's story, which is why I wasn't keen on it.
The other thing that troubles me is Kit Harington. There's a line in the book where he tells Mance the real reason he turned his back on the Watch to throw in with the Wildlings is because of how he was treated as a bastard, that had far more impact than telling him the White Walkers are going to overwhelm the world. I presume living where they do that Mance is more than aware of this possibility. I have the fear that they cut the line in part because the actor didn't have the ability to deliver it with enough impact. I may be alone here, but I think Kit Harington is a limited actor and it's a bit of a shame that he's been cast in such a key role.
The show really sparkled for me in Kings Landing. I don't think it's any coincidence that those sequences featured a stellar cast: Dinklage, Dance, Headey, even Dormer and Flynn. It was a pleasure to watch Charles Dance and Peter Dinklage fence verbally with each other.
There's a very telling line from Margaery when she goes to visit the orphans in Flea Bottom. It illustrates her duplicity. Her handmaiden points out that to enter the orphanage she is going to have to go through a puddle of human refuse and will ruin her dress, just before she steps through, dragging the bottom of her dress through it and ruining it, she gaily says 'I can always buy another one!' (I may not have the quote word perfect). The price of a new dress comparable to the one she has so blithely ruined would probably feed every kid in that orphanage for a month or more. Admittedly she is doing more in her efforts to win their hearts and minds than Cersei has ever done. Cersei sits in the palace, ignores the populace and wishes she'd been born a man.

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
  • Can't think of anything clever for this...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »
Got this from Facebook.

http://www.happyplace.com/22775/game-of-thrones-facebook-recap-season-3-episode-1

Gotta love Facebook for recommending stuff like that to me. xD
Oh, I have a blog. http://dullboredom.wordpress.com/

Check it out, if you've got the time. Much appreciated.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 04:49:12 PM »
They seem to be playing Margeary as a Princess Diana figure.  An interesting interpretation.  I actually prefer Margeary in the TV series to the book, in the book she is a bit pf a cipher, and never really got why Cersai was quite so threatened by her.  In the TV series she is a well developed character, and can see why Cersai would react in the way she presumably still will. 

Only one titillation scene!  HBO's standards are dropping!  Though maybe they have decided it was becoming a bit of a joke, and to concentrate now on telling the story.  Not that I mind the odd titillation scene, but there was one ridiculous one in series 2 in Littlefinger's brothel where everyone was watching each other get it on through keyholes, and found myself thinking, what the hell does this add to the story!  Also I think Storm of Swords does have less sex in it than the others with the exception of
Spoiler for Hiden:
a rather rank sex scene involving Jamie and Cersai later.

Overall though a quality hour from HBO and will be glued to the rest of the series.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:10:16 PM »
They seem to be playing Margeary as a Princess Diana figure.  An interesting interpretation.  I actually prefer Margeary in the TV series to the book, in the book she is a bit pf a cipher, and never really got why Cersai was quite so threatened by her.  In the TV series she is a well developed character, and can see why Cersai would react in the way she presumably still will. 

Only one titillation scene!  HBO's standards are dropping!  Though maybe they have decided it was becoming a bit of a joke, and to concentrate now on telling the story.  Not that I mind the odd titillation scene, but there was one ridiculous one in series 2 in Littlefinger's brothel where everyone was watching each other get it on through keyholes, and found myself thinking, what the hell does this add to the story!  Also I think Storm of Swords does have less sex in it than the others with the exception of
Spoiler for Hiden:
a rather rank sex scene involving Jamie and Cersai later.

Overall though a quality hour from HBO and will be glued to the rest of the series.
I think they were stung by the Game of Boobs references. Yes, Ros kept her clothes on for once and actually had some lines that added to the story. Will wonders never cease?

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 04:10:12 PM »
Ramsay Snow...Ramsay fecking Snow!
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 04:17:31 PM »

I know!  He has a fiendish plan for Theon!

Other points:  Joffrey's cross bow!  Presume that is the crossbow that will kill Tywin?  Or will they put a new angle on it bearing in mind Joffrey's obsession with it?  Could we see a switcharoonie with the two big deaths at the end of ASOS?

Also new angle on Shae's betrayal of Tyrion.  Will she betray him out of jealousy of his marriage with Sansa?

And Margeary!  She is hot! 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
  • Can't think of anything clever for this...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »

And Margeary!  She is hot!

Yeah!

Well, I hope they do something interesting with the two big deaths. That isn't to say that they aren't interesting by themselves, of course, but it would be great if they changed it up a bit.
Oh, I have a blog. http://dullboredom.wordpress.com/

Check it out, if you've got the time. Much appreciated.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Game of Thrones Season 3 (SPOILERS FOR BOOK AND SERIES)
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 11:42:56 PM »
I'm not sure I agree with the whole Cat 'I really loved Jon Snow' thing at all this episode. I still love Maisie Williams, but she's definitely growing up. I think she would almost reach Sansa's chest now. Same applies with Isaac Hempstead-Wright. I wonder if non book readers will just wonder where the hell the Reed siblings just came from?

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 01:55:36 AM »
I'm not sure I agree with the whole Cat 'I really loved Jon Snow' thing at all this episode
I maybe, might have, just a little, yelled at the TV at that. Something to the effect of "What a crock of fluff".... though with some extra and more create expletives sprinkled through out ... not real sure exactly what it was I said.  But the story was slightly redeemed by her admitting that she never treated or loved Jon as her own. And certainly never tried to have him raised as a Stark.

In general though, I am ok with the changes. And curious to see what next week brings. .... Will we ever get to hear "Reek reek rhymes with meek/weak/freak", etc, etc.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 01:59:50 AM »
I'm not sure I agree with the whole Cat 'I really loved Jon Snow' thing at all this episode
I maybe, might have, just a little, yelled at the TV at that. Something to the effect of "What a crock of fluff".... though with some extra and more create expletives sprinkled through out ... not real sure exactly what it was I said.  But the story was slightly redeemed by her admitting that she never treated or loved Jon as her own. And certainly never tried to have him raised as a Stark.

In general though, I am ok with the changes. And curious to see what next week brings. .... Will we ever get to hear "Reek reek rhymes with meek/weak/freak", etc, etc.

They are trying to make her more sympathetic... odd choice though.

And no Bloody Mummers! :( It looks like Jamie and Briene are going to be captured by the Boltons!

Also looks like we will cover way more than Book 1 of ASOS.
The Real Powers That Be