October 31, 2014, 10:02:38 PM

Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 2: differences between book and TV series  (Read 1753 times)

Gariath

• [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/06/10-changes-to-season-two-of-game-of-thrones

Pretty good coverage, though they missed out two biggies for me:

1) Where the hell have the Tullys got to?  Catelyn's brother (Edmure) and uncle (Blackfish!) have totally disappeared.
    2) Daenerys never actually got her prophecies!  You know the ones about being betrayed and her three marriages.

The last Rhega.

Fallen One

Re: Game of Thrones Season 2: differences between book and TV series
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 01:55:38 AM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  •  I've read only the two first books and I'm a third through A Storm of Swords. I haven't watched the TV series. The change in Asha Greyjoy's name was probably so people wouldn't confuse her with Osha, the wildling woman.
    Current work: translation of my novel "Return of the Reaper" from spanish to english. You can check my progress at http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/work-to-be-critiqued/fantasy-from-south-america-perhaps-not-suited-for-minors-(quite-violent)/

Feel free to comment!

Idlewilder

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 11:36:34 AM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0

1) Where the hell have the Tullys got to?  Catelyn's brother (Edmure) and uncle (Blackfish!) have totally disappeared.
    2) Daenerys never actually got her prophecies!  You know the ones about being betrayed and her three marriages.

1. The Tullys (including the Blackfish) are in season 3. Blackfish already cast (Big Yin from Still Game is playing him - Midori anyone? ;)). Don't ask me how or why they are doing it this late, but they are doing the same thing with the Reeds.
    2. Yes the prophecies being left out is very strange - but the end of book 2 wasn't in it (Whitebeard) so possibly Quaithe will still get the chance to be all knowing at the start of season 3? Loved how they put Drogo in it though!

I've read only the two first books and I'm a third through A Storm of Swords. I haven't watched the TV series. The change in Asha Greyjoy's name was probably so people wouldn't confuse her with Osha, the wildling woman.

Apparently this was the case - though I still don't see the point. Osha's name is hardly ever used in the series, and Yara isn't that far off from Arya. Strange choice. I still call her Asha anyway - Yara is just... wrong.
    "The lesson of history is that no-one learns." - Duiker, Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson, p.343.

Gariath

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 04:27:13 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • And the chain!  There was no chain across the Blackwater!

Also no Reek, that is also rather odd.
    « Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:39:07 PM by the_hound »
    The last Rhega.

Gariath

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 08:19:12 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • This was a rather awesome change in series 1 though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=17W4QMNwm-c#!
    The last Rhega.

Sophie Proud

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 08:53:30 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • As brilliant as this series is, it's hard to keep everything in. One of the flaws of this season was the lack of the editing that made season 1 so amazing! There were so many characters, so many places and events to cover. So I believe they "wiped out" Riverrun to avoid any more complications with the editing and the numerous characters. I would have loved to see Riverrun, but we might have a chance for it in season 3. :)
    The thing with Dany... I really missed the weddings prophecies, but when you are making a movie, that scene would have become a spoiler. The writers may be brilliant, but after Robb's controversial wedding, having the man with the wolf head and all that would have told the audience that something bad will happen to him. I liked the prophecies they added and they sort of created the three-headed dragon prophecy (King's Landing, the Wall and the Khalasar), even though only readers would have understood that.

The season was great, not as brilliant as the first, but wonderful nonetheless! :)

Onpolitik

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 02:13:01 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • A great exchange of information.

Jeni

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 11:02:53 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0

Just watched series two and I was wondering what the differences were....now I know! Thankyou :)

Tags: