July 23, 2019, 08:33:36 AM

Author Topic: Game of Thrones confirms spoilers for future books  (Read 7985 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
Game of Thrones confirms spoilers for future books
« on: March 23, 2015, 07:35:47 PM »
I know this is hardly new, there has been speculation that it would have to (and reports that GRRM has given HBO an outline of the future books). But, to see it confirmed just gives me that quick pang of uncertainty and hesitation. I know I want to watch the show. It's here, its readily available and I love it. But I also really dislike watching something before reading it. But, truthfully, I just don't think I have the willpower to stop watching the show until the series is completed umpteen years from now.

http://electricliterature.com/spoiler-alert-game-of-thrones-will-officially-spoil-the-books/

My main consolation is that there has already been obvious divergence from the books in some places. I actually find that a bit fun because I realize I don't know what to expect on the screen. So, when reading the books, I won't know ahead of times which parts of the show were accurate and which were divergent. Really, I just need to try and think of them as two separate entities. And honestly, by the time the final book is released, who knows if I'll even remember the show any more.

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline ultamentkiller

Re: Game of Thrones confirms spoilers for future books
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:29:27 PM »
That's one reason I'm actually not watching the show. I understand that Martin is still behind the creation process, but still. I want to see it play out in book form before I watch the TV show.
Plus, I know the divergence from the book will make me mad.

Offline kvothe1984

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 11:33:23 PM »
I think loyal readers will feel cheated if any major events happen which have not done in the book so far.
I know the amount of times Ive had to keep spoilers from the books during conversation to people who just watch the show. Readers could not hide from spoilers if they tried, it will be everywhere. Not only that its quite frustrating that Martin is putting an awful lot more time into the show instead of actually finishing the books.
Readers had to wade through Feast & Dance (I did enjoy them, but they were a challenge when you consider there was 5 years between the books) for very little reward and reading some articles, most of the stuff that did actually happen will not even be in the series, so we know that those events/characters do not carry any meaning and are basically obsolete. Are we really going to care reading about Edric Storm and Lady Stoneheart now? Are we even going to want to read it if all the good parts are just put on the screen? or is there a possibility that the readers are going to just get VIP Song of Ice and Fire treatment and get two perfect books?
This was clearly going to happen since Martins priority has been the show, HBO clearly have pushed this on Martin with lots of money knowing that the content of Feast & Dance would probably bore a good amount of TV watchers to death.
With Martin you just never know, I hope the books don't get ruined and mocked by the tv show the books are based on.
Martin has apparently pulled out of conventions to finish the book possibly this year, maybe he is worried about what he has given away to the series and knows the readers deserve that book for their patience and devotion, although the final book before the final series is the most important thing to me.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 11:50:44 PM »
It was always going to happen. I think there was a hope among readers that the possibility of the show pulling off major reveals before they were written would light a metaphorical fire under the author, and get him to work a little faster on producing the books, but the demands the shows popularity have put on George R.R Martin's time seems to have had the opposite effect. I'm watching the show, and I'll read the books when/if they come out. To be honest, with the way the show has made it's way into pop culture it's going to be rather hard to not watch the show and remain unspoiled for the big things when/if the books come out. I tend to regard the two as separate experiences, and in many ways they are. The books are far more detailed, with more characters and many of the events take place in a different way to how they're presented on screen. Even though I've read the books a few times each (except for A Dance with Dragons, but that'll happen in the future I am sure) I still find something to appreciate when I get to the big scenes in them, that won't change just because I saw it happen in a TV show. In most parts I find the show a pale imitation of what I see in my head when I read those things.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Hedin

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 02:01:16 AM »
It was inevitable and given the quality of Feast and Dance it may be for the best.   Really it should not take seven+ years to write two books and Martin has totally brought this on himself.   I may finish the books at some point but once the show officially passes it I won't buy them unless they are exceptionally good and really will be in no hurry to read them.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 02:32:23 AM »
It was inevitable and given the quality of Feast and Dance it may be for the best.   Really it should not take seven+ years to write two books and Martin has totally brought this on himself.   I may finish the books at some point but once the show officially passes it I won't buy them unless they are exceptionally good and really will be in no hurry to read them.
Seven years? That's kind of conservative. A Storm of Swords came out in 2000 and Feast was published in 2005, Dance in 2011, so it effectively took 10 - 11 years to write 2 books that were originally meant to be the one book. By the time Winds makes it's appearance it could very well have been 7 years since Dance hit the streets. To a certain extent George had a sort of outline for what would happen in the first 3 books, and he had a bit of a head start, so was able to publish those in a more timely manner. The problems hit when he started to write without a net, that was evidenced by the original idea to put a 5 year gap between the events at the end of Storm and the starting of things at the start of what was then called A Dance with Dragons. When that didn't work, George was forced to scrap roughly 18 months of writing and planning and start from scratch.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 06:09:09 AM »
Interesting situation, it does feel like he's brought it on himself.

It's possible to avoid spoilers and stuff if you just don't click the links - I've never read the books or watched the show, and I have literally no clue what happens at all. It's a complete mystery to me. I guess someone who is a fan of the series would find it very hard to do that though...  8)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 07:26:11 AM »
I don't think I'm going to watch either - I will record it, and maybe get to it one day, either after reading the books (will they ever be published? ;)) or re-reading the current ones.

I'm also with Raptori, it's perfectly possible to avoid TV spoilers.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 08:27:10 AM »
I would much rather read the books first before finding out the plot in TV form. However, I will be watching it - there is no way I will be able to avoid seeing comments and reviews on Twitter, forums and news without going into full-on hermit mode. It also seems like sort of series where malicious prats will go out of there way to spray spoilers everywhere to annoy people, much like they did with the latter Harry Potter books.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 11:59:58 AM »
I would much rather read the books first before finding out the plot in TV form. However, I will be watching it - there is no way I will be able to avoid seeing comments and reviews on Twitter, forums and news without going into full-on hermit mode. It also seems like sort of series where malicious prats will go out of there way to spray spoilers everywhere to annoy people, much like they did with the latter Harry Potter books.

Yes! I would so prefer to read first, but completely agree with this (plus my impatience and inability to wait some mysterious number of years).
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

BeardKing

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 01:20:59 PM »
Like most, I'd rather read it before watching it, but GoT the show is what got me into reading fantasy and I'm tired of waiting for a conclusion to this story, so I'm going to watch it.

This series is the main reason I don't start reading anything until it's completed. I think waiting for a conclusion is what kind of turned me off from ASOIAF and GoT. Waiting so long just makes me not care about it anymore, especially with so many other awesome stories out there that are already concluded.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 01:51:27 PM »
Like most, I'd rather read it before watching it, but GoT the show is what got me into reading fantasy and I'm tired of waiting for a conclusion to this story, so I'm going to watch it.

This series is the main reason I don't start reading anything until it's completed. I think waiting for a conclusion is what kind of turned me off from ASOIAF and GoT. Waiting so long just makes me not care about it anymore, especially with so many other awesome stories out there that are already concluded.
Still, I think it's very cool that the show got you into fantasy.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

BeardKing

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 03:17:17 PM »
Still, I think it's very cool that the show got you into fantasy.

Me too. I don't know what I was doing with my life!

:D

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 08:47:25 PM »

It's possible to avoid spoilers and stuff if you just don't click the links - I've never read the books or watched the show, and I have literally no clue what happens at all. It's a complete mystery to me. I guess someone who is a fan of the series would find it very hard to do that though...  8)
I think the problem is less with clicking on links and seeing stuff online for me. I have friends who read the books and watch the show. So, when they start getting ahead, those friends will be talking amongst themselves, and if I happen to be around, could quite easily spoil something for me.
That's why whenever I'm reading something, or haven't read a book yet, I try to get away from any conversation about it, because it gives me clues.
But you can't always get away from those conversations...

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 09:00:56 PM »

I think the problem is less with clicking on links and seeing stuff online for me. I have friends who read the books and watch the show. So, when they start getting ahead, those friends will be talking amongst themselves, and if I happen to be around, could quite easily spoil something for me.
That's why whenever I'm reading something, or haven't read a book yet, I try to get away from any conversation about it, because it gives me clues.
But you can't always get away from those conversations...

And then there are things like twitter, where there are no links to click, it's just there in your feed. I have definitely seen spoilers on Twitter.  :-\ Most people are aware and careful, and I don't auto-follow people so I have control over my feed, but still, with it just takes one person to tweet (or retweet) without thinking.
-- George R.R. Martin