August 21, 2019, 12:42:45 PM

Author Topic: Game Of Thrones (TV Show) Season 5 - WITH BOOK SPOILERS  (Read 33620 times)

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
Re: Game Of Thrones (TV Show) Season 5 - WITH BOOK SPOILERS
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 12:31:27 AM »
I hope we get some sort of resolution to the Gentry storyline started in S3. At this stage I think we're meant to assume that he fell out of the boat on the way to Kings Landing.

Well, I had actually forgotten about him. And I can't remember what happened to him in the books, though I recall that it differed from the events in the HBO version.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 03:41:44 AM »
I hope we get some sort of resolution to the Gentry storyline started in S3. At this stage I think we're meant to assume that he fell out of the boat on the way to Kings Landing.

Well, I had actually forgotten about him. And I can't remember what happened to him in the books, though I recall that it differed from the events in the HBO version.
Has a totally different storyline in the books, but he's still around as far as anyone knows.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 06:20:01 AM »

Has a totally different storyline in the books, but he's still around as far as anyone knows.

He has a lot of fanfiction devoted to him! Maybe just pick one of those for his story resolution.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 09:34:37 AM »

In my head I have written* an entire series of adventures about Gendry in that boat. Poor lad.

* may not be entirely true.
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 12:18:42 AM »

He has a lot of fanfiction devoted to him! Maybe just pick one of those for his story resolution.
Books or TV show? Where Gendry is concerned they're totally different beasts. I'm not all that concerned about him. I just find it rather amusing that they seemed to completely forget about the character for an entire season. I can't see any news of the actor returning this season either (admittedly I don't scour the 'net looking for information either). I do wonder what they'll do about Isaac Hempstead Wright going forward as well, he's not in Season 5 at all, and last time we saw him he was very clearly older than Bran has been portrayed in the books.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 07:57:52 AM »
I do wonder what they'll do about Isaac Hempstead Wright going forward as well, he's not in Season 5 at all, and last time we saw him he was very clearly older than Bran has been portrayed in the books.

Bran will have been "transformed" by the three-eyed crow and so "will look different" (i.e. different actor ;))
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 08:10:43 AM »
I do wonder what they'll do about Isaac Hempstead Wright going forward as well, he's not in Season 5 at all, and last time we saw him he was very clearly older than Bran has been portrayed in the books.

Bran will have been "transformed" by the three-eyed crow and so "will look different" (i.e. different actor ;))
I kind of figured that from what the books have done with the character, lucky that happened for HBO, eh?

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 02:40:51 PM »
I'm really angry that Aegon won't be present in the show. He's very important in the end.

Is he? His importance in my mind by the end of ADwD seemed a bit vague and there is still some question as to whether he is who people claim him to be. I'm firmly in the he's a fake camp in the same way the fake Arya is married to Ramsay Bolton. Plus despite recent rumours of 10 seasons & a movie I do think the producers have had to do some serious culling to the book cast and I dont think they would have culled a character IF he was so important to the outcome of the books.
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 11:37:20 PM »
I'm really angry that Aegon won't be present in the show. He's very important in the end.

Is he? His importance in my mind by the end of ADwD seemed a bit vague and there is still some question as to whether he is who people claim him to be. I'm firmly in the he's a fake camp in the same way the fake Arya is married to Ramsay Bolton. Plus despite recent rumours of 10 seasons & a movie I do think the producers have had to do some serious culling to the book cast and I dont think they would have culled a character IF he was so important to the outcome of the books.
In terms of the show I think they may have a problem if they randomly introduce this character who is VERY important to the overall scheme of things in S5. They've established their main cast now, and I think they'll stick with it until the end. I tend to rank Aegon in importance with Edric Storm, who also never appeared in the TV show.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 01:12:05 AM »

He doesn't seem important at first, but he does let the dragons free at the end of the fifth one so... I would consider that important. Of course, you can just have them get out some other way, but still.

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 09:00:23 AM »

He doesn't seem important at first, but he does let the dragons free at the end of the fifth one so... I would consider that important. Of course, you can just have them get out some other way, but still.

Wasn't that Quentyn Martell?  ???
Make Another World.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 09:10:19 PM »
Oh yeah, that's right. Okay, excuse my lapse of memory. Aegon is that prince guy, who may or may not have an effect on the overall plot.
So many damn characters. I should really look at that glossary thing.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 09:20:31 PM »
It is interesting that they are setting up lots of characters from Dorne, and sending a party over to Dorne, but yet they don't seem to be doing the Aegon plotline as surely all the Dorne set up was for that rather than the Quentyn Martell dead end plot?

Also no Kingsmoot and no introduction of any new Greyjoys - so the Theon and Yara/ Asha plotline must be being developed in an entirely different manner. 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 11:41:56 PM »
I think they did the Dorne thing to team up Jaime with Bronn, it's a way of keeping a popular character in the show that isn't in the books by that stage. It does make me wonder if they'll disappoint all the Jaime Brienne shippers out there, though.

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 01:45:33 PM »

In terms of the show I think they may have a problem if they randomly introduce this character who is VERY important to the overall scheme of things in S5. They've established their main cast now, and I think they'll stick with it until the end. I tend to rank Aegon in importance with Edric Storm, who also never appeared in the TV show.

Never appeared and replaced by Gendry. I do think the Aegon arc will be/has been cut simply because not enough time has been allocated to building that side of the mythos up. We know about the Targaryan children being killed by Gregor but that was to establish the Red Viper and his hatred for the Lannisters. I think with Jamie & Bronn heading to Dorne the Martell's will be more of a direct threat the the Lannister masterplan rather than being involved in some long game to bring Aegon back.

Plus in the books I never got why Varys/Illios invested so much in Daenerys if they also had Aegon.
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.