September 18, 2019, 04:57:47 PM

Author Topic: Game Of Thrones (TV Show) Season 5 - WITH BOOK SPOILERS  (Read 33902 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Game Of Thrones (TV Show) Season 5 - WITH BOOK SPOILERS
« Reply #165 on: June 15, 2015, 09:17:38 PM »
I think Arry and Phil have already said my thoughts.  I've been avoiding facebook and twitter all day because of you darn Yanks and your spoilers, and began to anticipate something really shocking, but was just generally the twists I anticipated from reading the books.

I think Phil is right - the TV series has left it well open for a Jon Snow reincarnation with Melissandre back at Castle Black (and also gives Davos Seaworth something to do next series.)  I just can't see Jon Snow being dead for good.  First of all there is still R+L=J, secondly he is the POV for the North and the fight against the Whitewalkers, and I still see him as the Ice in a song of Ice and Fire.  And while in some ways Melissandre is a charlatan, there is no doubt that she can do actual sorcery.  What form Jon comes back in remains to be seen.  I doubt he will get to marry Danerys and help her rule the Seven Kingdoms like some fans wants. 

I do disagree with Arry on Myrcella. I think she is a goner. Which leaves just Tommen looking very exposed.  Also I suspect we all think Sansa and Theon have survived, but that was a big drop! 

Was glad that Stannis got his just desserts.  Was hinted that he was dead in ADWD, but not as explicit as in the books. 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #166 on: June 15, 2015, 10:26:34 PM »
I think Arry and Phil have already said my thoughts.  I've been avoiding facebook and twitter all day because of you darn Yanks and your spoilers, and began to anticipate something really shocking, but was just generally the twists I anticipated from reading the books.

I think Phil is right - the TV series has left it well open for a Jon Snow reincarnation with Melissandre back at Castle Black (and also gives Davos Seaworth something to do next series.)  I just can't see Jon Snow being dead for good.  First of all there is still R+L=J, secondly he is the POV for the North and the fight against the Whitewalkers, and I still see him as the Ice in a song of Ice and Fire.  And while in some ways Melissandre is a charlatan, there is no doubt that she can do actual sorcery.  What form Jon comes back in remains to be seen.  I doubt he will get to marry Danerys and help her rule the Seven Kingdoms like some fans wants. 

I do disagree with Arry on Myrcella. I think she is a goner. Which leaves just Tommen looking very exposed.  Also I suspect we all think Sansa and Theon have survived, but that was a big drop! 

Was glad that Stannis got his just desserts.  Was hinted that he was dead in ADWD, but not as explicit as in the books.

I think another possible indicator to Jon surviving is there was no Ghost in this episode. In the books he is chained up and attacked at the same time as Jon. So if ep1/S6 picks up seconds after the S5 finale will we see Ghost come charging in and Jon warg into him?

In the books the snowdrift Theon & Jayne jump into is considerably deeper, in fact I think at this point in ADwD the drifts at Winterfell are 10 - 15 feet deep.

Stannis isnt dead in ADwD, in fact one of the chapters from TWoW that GRRM released on his website is a Theon chapter with Stannis in it. So he is still very much alive in the coming book.

After a rewatch I really dont get the whole Sam/Gilly/Oldtown idea. His little chat with Jon about the Watch needing him as a Maester when the Walkers come was stupid. What are the Walkers going to sit around for years while he's trained before they attack? This is the same problem I have from the book seeing there are only two books left and Sam being sent to Oldtown. Not enough time for him to be trained.

I did like Ninja-Arya

I do feel Brienne has been totally wasted this season, and I dont believe she killed Stannis, after all the deaths in this episode why was his the only one the camera cut away from? Its a bit like back in S2 when Catlyn looked to be intent on killing Jamie when he was Robb's captive but later we found out she'd freed him.
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #167 on: June 16, 2015, 12:14:55 AM »
Ever since reading book 5, I've always thought that Jon was going to warg into Ghost to save his life and his opening chapter of Winds will be titled Ghost (part of the joke there being that Ghost never speaks, in the book he's completely mute, doesn't bark, whine or growl, like his siblings do). The show has largely caught up to the books, so they had no option but to hang many cliffs. There's a little bit of Cersei after her walk through the city, and we see some more of Arya. Sam's journey will create a new storyline. Unless GRRM can finish Winds lickety split, the show has no option but to go largely off book next year and pull off some of the reveals that the books haven't yet, like what happens to Jon, and what is the outcome of Dany's encounter with the khalasar.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Hedin

« Reply #168 on: June 16, 2015, 01:13:15 PM »
I think even in the books Mel revives Jon and he doesn't work, she is still at Castle Black at that point.  In the show it never shows Jon with any hint of warging so I don't think they're going that route.  He'll be resurrected, Jon Snow will be "dead", and he'll now be Jon Stark or Jon Targaryen, or Azor Ahai (however you spell it).  Jon will come back, take over the North, beat the White Walkers while riding a dragon, and then take his rightful place on the Iron Throne.

Stannis is most certainly dead.  He does not have an army or family left so what purpose would he serve if he was still alive?  Revenge against Mel?  Davos will take care of that when he finds out about Shireen.  Wall POV when the White Walkers come?  Jon will do that when he is ressurrected, if by some reason he's not Davos can stick around and fill that role.  Join Sansa and go on a Bolton killing spree?  I have to imagine Brienne will be doing that and she'll be better than a demoralized and wounded Stannis.  I can't think of a story reason why Stannis would be kept around.

Oldtown was a bad Martin move which I wish the show didn't go down, we need to be reducing the number of threads going on, not adding new ones. 

I'm excited to go into the new season as an Unsullied and I'm interested to see where D&D will take the story (I know Martin has given them basics on what will happen but probably not all of the detail).

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2015, 01:34:36 AM »
I do disagree with Arry on Myrcella. I think she is a goner.

I just said it would be nice if she'd survived and gave a possible theory for how she possibly could.  :D But truthfully, I think the odds are scarce and agree she's almost certainly a goner. (I think your right, just don't want to fully admit it. :) )Especially if Jon survives (as we all know he will). I just don't see them 'saving' two people. I still think it will be Melisandre to save him, but if somehow that failed he'd become a white walker before he just died for good.

I do feel Brienne has been totally wasted this season, and I dont believe she killed Stannis, after all the deaths in this episode why was his the only one the camera cut away from? Its a bit like back in S2 when Catlyn looked to be intent on killing Jamie when he was Robb's captive but later we found out she'd freed him.
My husband wasn't fully convinced she killed him either. But I think she did. I think he's gone (and am kinda happy about it).

Perhaps I am just being uncharacteristically optimistic assuming the death of Stannis and pulling for a way to kill Nymeria Sand and save  Myrcella (not that Myrcella was an endeared character, she's hardly been around. Just seemed like she had the potential to become interesting).
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2015, 01:36:49 AM »
Myrcella dying gives Jaime a reason to turn the boat around and go back to Dorne and we can continue Jaime and Bronn's Big Dornish Adventure next season.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2015, 10:15:33 PM »
And I finally watched this, 1 episode a day. Except today, I've just watched the last 2.
After it ended I went to check the book, and yes, some critical scenes are there in the book. At least these, after all the invention that went on.
Strangely enough, I didn't mind that much, this time.
For example, I think Tyrion really fits Mereen.

I don't believe the book series will ever be finished, so at least here we might get 'something'.
 :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #172 on: September 06, 2015, 09:16:13 PM »
What a good show.

Expectations for Season 6:
  • John raised as a zombie -- like book-Catelyn
  • Drogon flies down where Dany is surrounded by Dothraki -- and she's got a Khalassar
  • Tyrion and Varys -- the dream team back together -- crush the Sons of the Harpy, amid plague and disaster
  • Sansa survives -- she and Theon and Brienne and Podrick pursue Rickon's trail
  • Bran makes his first use of 3-eyed-raven magic -- dramatically helping Sansa and Rickon reunite
  • Arya spends another season learning Faceless Man stuff, really becoming Nobody
  • Jaime avenges Marcella
  • Cersei meets her just end -- Jaime hears about it and comes as fast as he can, getting there too late
  • Tommen actually survives -- Jaime and Kevan can actually work together, for a time
[li]Oldtown subplot turns out to be important... Sam discovers that the "Lord of Light" and the White Walkers are working together -- it's not Fire vs. Ice with humans squished in the middle, it's Fire and Ice vs. Humans.  He discovers this just before we get to see Melissande (and Zombie Jon) betray the Night's Watch and open the gates to the horde of undead.  Melissande and the crowned white walker from 5-8 kiss while the impossibly huge horde of skeletons funnels through the gate in the Wall.  End Season 6.  (Just a WAG, but imagine the epic visual...)
[/li][/list]