September 18, 2019, 06:27:18 AM

Author Topic: Game Of Thrones (TV Show) Season 5 - WITH BOOK SPOILERS  (Read 33896 times)

Offline Phil Norris

Re: Game Of Thrones (TV Show) Season 5 - WITH BOOK SPOILERS
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2015, 10:19:22 PM »
The problem I feel with Dany's story in the show is the same as GRRM had in the books, what the hell to do with her now she is Queen of Slaver Bay. Unfortunately despite a lot of promise (in the books) Dany's story stagnated (and is still stagnating) because she spent most of her time mooning over/shagging Daario rather than actually doing anything (and I for one am hoping his was one of the heads sent flying over the walls of Mereen at the end of ADwD). I hope with the writers cutting out a lot of Tyrion's Rough Guide to Essos and the Greyjoys/Martells that things will move quicker as the season progresses.

Not sure where they are going with Sansa/Littlefinger as they are now well outside of the books. And is the "marriage proposal" he's accepted for him or her?

They need to find something for Brienne to do because with Jamie off to Dorne there cannot now be any Lady Stoneheart and most of the Riverlands stuff needs to be re-thought/written.

Whats up with Qyburn and the dwarfs head, will Ser Robert the Strong have it? And without Prince Doran's plot from the books in play what else is there for him to do & will the coup succeed in the show where it failed in the books?

So Jon is Lord Commander, hopefully Slynt will loose his head next week!

To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2015, 10:31:08 PM »
All bets are off really. I am watching this series with the pleasure of knowing it will be surprising with the stuff that is familiar becoming less and less as we go on.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2015, 12:12:32 AM »
I'm not sure if Qyburn took the dwarf's head to use on Ser Robert Strong or whether they just put that in there to establish how creepy he is and let the audience know that he's a bit of a Frankenstein type.
Dany's problem in the show is the same as the books. She has to learn how to be a queen, and Meereen is the most logical place for her to do that, but at the same time all the readers and viewers want is for her to ride a dragon over to Westeros and have a big fight.
Lejays17 came up with the theory that Brienne and Pod will find their way to Dorne, that does make sense from a TV show point of view. Not much point in traipsing after Littlefinger and Sansa, when Sansa clearly doesn't want Brienne's assistance, and with Cat and Robb dead, who is she going to deliver her to anyway? Having Brienne and Pod in Dorne reunites Brienne and Jaime, and there is a significant portion of TV fandom that want this to happen. Not at all sure where the Littlefinger and Sansa plot is going.
I liked what they did with Arya and Jaqen. That was a clever way of introducing this plot line.
I hope Tyrion gets out of the wine jar and to Meereen fairly soon. His storyline in the show is becoming as tedious as it was in the book, and we don't even have the turtles to distract us from it.
The Wall storyline this episode followed the book more faithfully.
While watching I kept being distracted by the howls of anguish from the book purists.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2015, 09:33:38 AM »
I must admit, I absolutely love that I no longer have any idea what's going to happen :D Also Qyburn's creepy little face is fast becoming a favourite of mine.
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2015, 01:46:59 AM »
I haven't watched all the seasons before this, but I've read the books. So I'm just trying to roll with things.
Sansa. What the hell is she doing? I thought she would've been weirded out by Littlefinger. But no. She'll just stay with him and be his little pawn. Of course, she might not be any safer with Brienne, despite her best intentions. This is the only reason I see the writers keeping Brienne around.
Also, my good friend Jon Snow. It's such a minor thing, but why not do the whole raven comes out of the bucket screaming his name thing? It couldn't have been that hard. Speaking of which, where is that annoying bird anyways? I kind of miss him.
And the Horn. The books make it sound important. Does Sam even have the one Jon gave him in book 2? Not sure if this happened in the show or not. And the big fancy one. They never found that one either?
I'm hoping the Greyjoy people appear. I thought the dragon horn thing would play a big part when everyone tries to deal with Daenerys. Of course, the show could just avoid that plot, but it seemed interesting.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2015, 10:47:24 AM »
Loved the scene in Dorne, mainly because I've been to where they filmed it. It's the Alcázar, in Seville, Spain. Perfect place for the Dornish water gardens  :)

As for the series veering away from everything we know, I love it. Finally I can be awed and surprised by what will come. I only hope that the pace starts picking up a bit, particularly for Daenerys, though Drogon's appearance at the end may be a hint that she is almost flying out of there.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2015, 11:22:17 AM »
Loved the scene in Dorne, mainly because I've been to where they filmed it. It's the Alcázar, in Seville, Spain. Perfect place for the Dornish water gardens  :)

As for the series veering away from everything we know, I love it. Finally I can be awed and surprised by what will come. I only hope that the pace starts picking up a bit, particularly for Daenerys, though Drogon's appearance at the end may be a hint that she is almost flying out of there.
Yes, pace! I'm feeling a little dullsville about it right now. Between Brianne's stubbornness about Pod, Tirion's morose turn, and Blondie's slow learner bit, we're moving at a snail's pace. Note, I have DwD on the bookshelf and haven't read it. I'm the book is just as slow, but for TV there's gotta be a balance.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2015, 09:02:36 PM »
Episode 3 was pretty interesting.
So I'm curious, did Jeyne Poole die in Season 1? Because it doesn't look like she'll be playing the part of Arya. And how will this effect Jon Snow's decision to take his people down to Winterfell? Will he be as enthusiastic?
Tomen and Margaery. That was interesting to say the least. Which makes me curious. How will the Cersei VS. Margaery storyline play out if there's no rumor of her sleeping around with other people? Or is there and I'm missing it?
Or maybe I should stop thinking about the books and just roll with it. That's hard to do, and none of what I mentioned above may happen in the first place. Either way, it's fun to speculate. For me anyway.

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2015, 10:54:38 PM »
So I'm curious, did Jeyne Poole die in Season 1? Because it doesn't look like she'll be playing the part of Arya. And how will this effect Jon Snow's decision to take his people down to Winterfell? Will he be as enthusiastic?
Tomen and Margaery. That was interesting to say the least. Which makes me curious. How will the Cersei VS. Margaery storyline play out if there's no rumor of her sleeping around with other people? Or is there and I'm missing it?
Or maybe I should stop thinking about the books and just roll with it. That's hard to do, and none of what I mentioned above may happen in the first place. Either way, it's fun to speculate. For me anyway.

Whilst there were various girls with Sansa early in S1 I dont think any of them were named ad Jeyne so its safe to assume Sansa has taken on her role.

Cersie V Margaery - going by next weeks trailer it looks like Cersie is talking to the High Sparrow about "a great sinner in our midst" which could be that storyline beginning to unfold.

Tonights episode was great, the Bridge At Volantis looked spectacular and Arya got the best line/laugh with a word I bet she won't be using in Dr Who.

The opening credits were a bit strange though. Moat Cailin when all they do was pass by it and yet no Volantis when they spent quite a bit of time there? Perhaps there are so many locations not the credits are not long enough to show them all, no Water Gardens last week either.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2015, 10:58:55 PM »

Whilst there were various girls with Sansa early in S1 I dont think any of them were named ad Jeyne so its safe to assume Sansa has taken on her role.

Cersie V Margaery - going by next weeks trailer it looks like Cersie is talking to the High Sparrow about "a great sinner in our midst" which could be that storyline beginning to unfold.

Tonights episode was great, the Bridge At Volantis looked spectacular and Arya got the best line/laugh with a word I bet she won't be using in Dr Who.

The opening credits were a bit strange though. Moat Cailin when all they do was pass by it and yet no Volantis when they spent quite a bit of time there? Perhaps there are so many locations not the credits are not long enough to show them all, no Water Gardens last week either.

I think this series has the potential to blow books 4 and 5 out of the water.  They have really been ruthless in cutting superfluous plotline, or merging plotlines to tighten things up, making it far more dramatic and exciting. Chills went through me when I realized who Littlefinger intended to marry Sansa off to.  Superb casting as well for the High Sparrow.   
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2015, 12:24:41 AM »
They did have a character in S1, who was meant to be Jeyne, although I'm not sure if they ever specifically named her. Littlefinger took her off Cerise's hands when her presence proved inconvenient. At that stage it looked like they were going to follow the Jeyne becomes Arya storyline, but clearly they've changed their minds on that.
Cersei V Margaery could play out another way. One of the charges levelled against Anne Boleyn when Henry wanted to behead her was adultery, because she was married to the king, that amounted to treason. One of the accused was actually her brother. He was also beheaded. I don't think he ever confessed to being his sister's lover, but one of the other accused did confess under torture. Cersei could accuse Margaery of the same thing, using Loras as one of the co accused. It would be rather ironic considering that Cersei was guilty of doing just that with Jaime during her marriage to Robert.
I was surprised and delighted to see Jonathan Pryce as the High Sparrow. Yet another Bond villain makes an appearance in the show. He was Elliott Carver in Tomorrow Never Dies, I wonder if he and Julian Glover (Maester Pycelle and Aristos Christatos in For Your Eyes Only) get together and reminisce about how they pulled the wool over Bond's eyes.

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2015, 01:05:47 PM »
Just gonna throw this out there and see what people think...

Sansa seem's to have been given a darker arc in the show end of S4 and into S5 than she had at the period in the books which got me to wondering are they gearing her up to take on the Lady Stoneheart role? Not by killing her and bringing her back but will she become the vengeful figure her mother was and marry Ramsay and take out the Bolton's from the inside before moving on to the Lannisters and the rest of the South as the figurehead for the resurrgent North?

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2015, 01:21:21 PM »
Marrying Ramsey and the bedding just seems too dark.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2015, 01:05:40 AM »

Sansa seem's to have been given a darker arc in the show end of S4 and into S5 than she had at the period in the books which got me to wondering are they gearing her up to take on the Lady Stoneheart role? Not by killing her and bringing her back but will she become the vengeful figure her mother was and marry Ramsay and take out the Bolton's from the inside before moving on to the Lannisters and the rest of the South as the figurehead for the resurrgent North?
I'm just hoping that someone, I don't care who, kills Ramsay.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2015, 11:04:05 AM »

I'm just hoping that someone, I don't care who, kills Ramsay.

Although I loved how unexpected it was, it just seemed so awful to have Sansa and Ramsay marry.

Maybe she can cook some of her beloved lemon cakes with poison...  ;D

And judging by next week's trailer, it seems Cersei will start moving the pieces against Margaery, through the High Sparrow. I'm guessing she'll be dragged naked through the streets by episode 09.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns