December 06, 2019, 10:54:23 AM

Author Topic: Game Of Thrones (TV Show) Season 5 - WITH BOOK SPOILERS  (Read 34772 times)

Offline Phil Norris

Re: Game Of Thrones (TV Show) Season 5 - WITH BOOK SPOILERS
« Reply #150 on: June 08, 2015, 03:13:31 PM »
I think of it like this (if I'm in the mood to be generous):

The Unsullied are field soldiers, not urban fighters and policemen. Big difference between a set battle and what Danaerys is asking them to do.

The SoH are citizen revolutionaries who are scared out of their wits; we just don't see it behind the masks. (Good extra reason for a mask; they can't see how terrified their friends are.) They have no training. They have no strategy other than surprise.

Like I said, this ^, when I'm in a generous mood.

I'm sure when Dany was looking at buying the Unsullied (in the books) that Jorah told her some story about how a small army of them (only a thousand or so) withstood a horde of Dothraki tens of thousands strong for several days because they are that badass. Are they not supposed to be Terminator like in their stamina, never stopping?

So far I've not seen any evidence of that in the show, in fact Greyworm seems to be the only one who can handle himself.
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2015, 10:49:18 PM »
The sacrifice scene was heartbreaking!
I have to read recaps online to figure out everything that happened since I don't have descriptive narration, and one of them pointed out something. How come the Sons of the Harpy attacked? Don't they approve of the fighting pits?

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2015, 11:51:11 PM »
I have to read recaps online to figure out everything that happened since I don't have descriptive narration, and one of them pointed out something. How come the Sons of the Harpy attacked? Don't they approve of the fighting pits?

I think their issue is with Dany ruling their city. More to the point what happened to Dany's Unsullied army? She bought 10,000 and most of this season seems to barely have a few hundred?

Also important question. Jorah has Greyscale, Jorah grabbed Dany's hand, Dany grabbed Missendie's hand. Is Jorah Typhoid Mary?

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #153 on: June 09, 2015, 01:53:11 AM »

I think their issue is with Dany ruling their city. More to the point what happened to Dany's Unsullied army? She bought 10,000 and most of this season seems to barely have a few hundred?

Also important question. Jorah has Greyscale, Jorah grabbed Dany's hand, Dany grabbed Missendie's hand. Is Jorah Typhoid Mary?
I have a feeling that the show will use a greyscale epidemic to cut the Meereenese Knot in the next season.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #154 on: June 09, 2015, 05:01:32 AM »
That would be quite interesting. Daenerys conquers Westeros. But oh wait! She's got greyscale! Series ended.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #155 on: June 09, 2015, 06:27:56 AM »
That would be quite interesting. Daenerys conquers Westeros. But oh wait! She's got greyscale! Series ended.

And the wheel keeps on turning...
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #156 on: June 09, 2015, 07:06:22 AM »
Unless of course Dany is resistant to fire, maybe she is to Greyscale as well?

Wild theory that came to me last night surrounding the sacrifice of Shireen and the statement from the writers that it is lifted from the pages of The Winds Of Winter.

In TWoW Melisandre, Shireen and the Queen are still at Castle Black so does one of the following possibly happen?

1. The Queen is persuaded by Melisandre to sacrifice Shireen because she discovers the baby everyone thinks is Mance's child is not and so does not have Kings blood?

2. Shireen is sacrificed by Melisandre in order to save Jon?

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #157 on: June 09, 2015, 01:37:25 PM »
Well, if it's to save Jon... Bye bye Shireen. You don't matter as much to me. I would rather have more time with Jon.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #158 on: June 14, 2015, 03:28:18 PM »
I'm looking forward to tonight.   We have the Jon and Cersei events from the books that we know about plus Dorne, Arya & Trant, Mereen, Winterfell (and something major happens there according to a still I saw and some vague leaks), plus the seemingly legit possibility of a major book spoiler.   I have absolutely no idea how they are going to fit everything in.   This has a good chance of being the last time any book readers will ever know what is coming and even then we're going to mostly be in TWoW material tonight.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #159 on: June 15, 2015, 03:29:50 AM »
So, in the first episode of the next season, I guess we'll lose Tyrion, Blondie, Mormont, and every other character we actually like. Because why the fuck not.

Final episode of everything? Cersei sleeps with the king of the Whitewalkers, then slits his throat.

Yeah. Not happy.

Though the episode was cool.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2015, 04:07:23 AM »
Probably the weakest season and season finale so far. Should've stretched two hours and probably incorporated more, instead of leaving so many cliff hangers. I think the worst offender was Dany. Her plotline finally starts to head somewhere and BAM, we got this crap to contend with. She'll never get to Westeros. Not to mention they need to turn that ship around, and see if the duo committed suicide, etc.

Though I will say: that throat slit from Arya was probably the most satisfying throat slit I've ever seen. I was so happy. ;D

EDIT: And how could I forget Stannis? I was a little ticked about that because I was itching to see how far they would go with his character. But yeah, when I saw the two armies stacked together my heart just broke.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:33:42 AM by Doctor Chill »
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline ChrisW

« Reply #161 on: June 15, 2015, 12:34:33 PM »
So Jon Snow is dead??? What's the bloody point of watching anymore.....Glad I didn't waste my time reading past book 3 now....assuming he is dead.....

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #162 on: June 15, 2015, 01:02:51 PM »
So Jon Snow is dead??? What's the bloody point of watching anymore.....Glad I didn't waste my time reading past book 3 now....assuming he is dead.....

Well, this scene was definitely expected.
Spoiler for Hiden:
It's exactly how book 5 ends.
However, he is spilling a lot of King's blood there. And Melisandre is near by. Or maybe ghost will somehow save him. I don't expect this is the last we'll see of his character.

Stannis has always annoyed me, so that was no real loss for me. And I don't know how he could possibly of expected his troops to support him after they watched him burn his own daughter at the stake. I could see them possibly overlooking the murder of his adult brother that was fighting him for the throne (if it were common knowledge that he killed Renly), but burning an innocent child? His own daughter? Who wants to support someone like that? If he sees his own daughter as that expendable, why would anyone trust their own lives fight for his cause? Needless to say, I was saddened more by the loss of Shireen than Stannis.

I loved Arya's scenes, as always. And I'm was so happy when Theon-Reek shoved what's her name off the walk way. I'm curious to see where they end up next season.

I am kind of hoping that there's a way Myrcella will survive. Maybe Bron happens to have the antidote? Not likely, but I'd still like to see it. Things will certainly get interesting when they get back to Kings Landing either way. I think my favorite twist would be if someone (perhaps the girl that's always taunting Bron) perhaps knew and decided to swap out the antidote that Nymeria Sand had, so she winds up dead and there's an antidote on hand for Myrcella. Unlikely, but I would love that.Will have to see what happens NEXT YEAR! *sigh*

We also don't know for sure that the Dothraki surrounding Dany were hostile.

I quite liked the episode. I expected Arya's, Jon's and Cersei's storyline to go how they did. And the others were a nice surprise (even if we might lose some characters).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:00:27 PM by Arry »
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Hedin

« Reply #163 on: June 15, 2015, 01:30:06 PM »
I really didn't like the finale that much, I kept waiting for something big and new to happen and it didn't (fool on me for believing the Benjen stuff).  I don't like that they ended Jon on a cliffhanger, its pretty obvious where that story is going to go and we will eventually find out if Kit is on set or not for this next season.  I do hate that they're doing the Oldtown storyline, there are only two seasons left and they need to start pulling together the threads instead of making new ones like Martin does.

Speaking of Martin, the clock is now ticking when he has to have the next book done in time for the show to start.  If I remember correctly the last book was announced about 4 months before it was released.  Going by that calendar he'll have to be done by the first of the year and even then it will only come out right before the premiere.  I really don't see him getting done by that time so everyone is going to be Unsullied from here on out.

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #164 on: June 15, 2015, 07:34:21 PM »
I'll get to the rest of the finale after I give it a second watch tonight but I want to concentrate mainly on Jon and what has/might have happened to him.

I feel that what happened in the finale gave us (as in book readers) the clearest indication that Jon in some way survives. Why you ask, well simply put Melissandre.

Melissandre arrives back at Castle Black after running away from Stannis' army. Why? Because Stannis gave her the brush off, hardly like he's ever been that particularly sociable to her so far, so why run off now. Because they had to have some excuse for her to be back at Castle Black. Without her there Jon's storyline ends. Why else does she go back at Castle Black? She knew Davos was there so seeing there is a good chance he knew what she had planned she would not be getting a warm welcome from him. Plus her being there would be a clear indication she was out of favour and she does not have Stannis' protection anymore so Davos would probably kill her for everything she has done.

There is no reason for her to go to Castle Black, no reason at all other tha her being there to save Jon.