December 12, 2019, 10:26:01 PM

Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV Show) - Season 4  (Read 28505 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Game of Thrones (TV Show) - Season 4
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2014, 12:20:47 AM »
So, Sansa's aunt was dealt with faster than I ever expected. The writers are wasting no time with Sansa's plot, it seems.

Really enjoyed the scene with Tyrion and Bronn. Even though it is hard to see one of Tyrion's only friends abandoning him, there is a raw honesty in their relationship, where they never pretended to be something else than what they really are to each other. Of course, our dear Oberyn came in at the right moment, but then I thought of what will happen to him and, well, that's that.

Our dear Arya is getting ever more colder when it comes to killing. By now, I'm starting to think that her whole plot in the other continent will take place in the next season. In 7 episodes, she and the Hound have done nothing, plot-wise.
We actually thought that Lysa may have taken her journey out the Moon Door a few episodes earlier, but I was glad they waited and used scenes that were close to the way it happened in the book (the building of the Winterfell snow castle, the kiss with Petyr, a little more explicit than the book, but still it was there), no convenient Marillion to blame Lysa's death on though.

I found the Bronn scene quite touching. I nearly teared up when they parted with a manly handshake and Bronn tells Tyrion he hopes to hear the song of his fight against the Mountain. Nice casting of the Mountain, too. He's been the best of the 3 they've had so far. The use of forced perspective was very effective, too.

That's largely what Arya and the Hound did in the book. They wandered here there and everywhere with the Hound clinging to this dream that he could ransom Arya off to the highest bidder until she finally got sick of it and took off.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2014, 12:53:18 AM »
I have to say, I did have a brief moment of disappointment that the real turning point for my opinion of Sansa was not on  the show (when she put Robin's beloved doll's head on a pike outside her snow Winterfell). But it was brief, not sure if it would have had the same impact on the show that it had for me in the book anyway.

My husband has been waiting for Lysa to fly out the moon door for a couple of episodes as well. It will be interesting to see how they handle it since they don't have the minstrel (or bard … whatever he was called) to take the fall for it.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2014, 02:35:07 AM »
I have to say, I did have a brief moment of disappointment that the real turning point for my opinion of Sansa was not on  the show (when she put Robin's beloved doll's head on a pike outside her snow Winterfell). But it was brief, not sure if it would have had the same impact on the show that it had for me in the book anyway.

My husband has been waiting for Lysa to fly out the moon door for a couple of episodes as well. It will be interesting to see how they handle it since they don't have the minstrel (or bard … whatever he was called) to take the fall for it.
His name was Marillion (there is an actual band called Marillion, too. They were an 80's British rock band. I wonder if the name is an homage to them?). They don't seem to have many guards in the TV version of the Aery. I expect Petyr will do a distraught husband act and claim that Lysa fell out of the Moon Door. Sansa is the only one who could contradict him and she won't. I don't remember Sansa slapping Robin in the book. I know she probably wanted to, she thinks as much in the next book, but I think he ran off after having destroyed her snow Winterfell when Petyr came on the scene and he helped her rebuild it then kissed her and the confrontation with Aunt Lysa took place after that.

Peter Dinklage and Jerome Flynn walked off with all the acting credits for me in this episode.

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2014, 11:17:47 AM »
I loved the scene between Oberyn and Tyrion in this episode. The real pain you see crossing Tyrion's face as Oberyn confirms for him exactly how much his sister despises him... ouch.

I have grown very fond of the Red Viper (never cared for him particularly in the books) so I suspect the end of this series will make me grumpier than usual.
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2014, 02:33:37 PM »
Tyrion, Bronn, Oberyn, Brienne...this episode delivered the goods in spades.
I feel that this episode has had the best acting displayed so far in the show and Peter Dinklage really outdid his already consistently-great acting. And we all know that there is more goodness to come soon ;)

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2014, 01:39:13 AM »
I loved the scene between Oberyn and Tyrion in this episode. The real pain you see crossing Tyrion's face as Oberyn confirms for him exactly how much his sister despises him... ouch.

I have grown very fond of the Red Viper (never cared for him particularly in the books) so I suspect the end of this series will make me grumpier than usual.
I don't think the Viper will make it to the end of the series, Senny. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the focus of the next episode.

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2014, 11:20:23 AM »

I don't think the Viper will make it to the end of the series, Senny. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the focus of the next episode.

I think you're right. I am living in denial.

*wails, tears hair out*
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2014, 11:59:26 PM »

I think you're right. I am living in denial.

*wails, tears hair out*
The next episode is actually titled The Mountain and the Viper. I'm excited. I hope it can top the gladiator street fight in Rome.

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2014, 11:23:39 PM »
His name was Marillion (there is an actual band called Marillion, too. They were an 80's British rock band. I wonder if the name is an homage to them?).

Marillion (the band) were actually originally names Silmarillion after Tolkien's book but the name was changed to avoid infringement laws.

No relevance to the thread just thought I'd drop this in. 
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2014, 11:30:47 PM »
I'm glad we had the Tyrion/Bronn scene because - if I remember correctly - we never had that in the book. Bronn just went off got knighted, married off to Lollys & became a Lord (in the book she wasn't the second daughter either I don't think?) and Tyrion was seemingly left high and dry.

Once again Dinklage stole every scene he was in, they might as well hand him the Emmy now.

I'm wondering if they're going to change the Arya/Hound  arc. By now in the book the Hound is injured and his wound festering (didn't it happen at the inn when Arya got Needle back?) so we would be reaching the end of this segment. unless they intend the bite he got last week to the the source of the infection? But I wonder if they intend keeping the Hound around a lot longer?

To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2014, 12:13:06 AM »
I'm glad we had the Tyrion/Bronn scene because - if I remember correctly - we never had that in the book. Bronn just went off got knighted, married off to Lollys & became a Lord (in the book she wasn't the second daughter either I don't think?) and Tyrion was seemingly left high and dry.

Once again Dinklage stole every scene he was in, they might as well hand him the Emmy now.

I'm wondering if they're going to change the Arya/Hound  arc. By now in the book the Hound is injured and his wound festering (didn't it happen at the inn when Arya got Needle back?) so we would be reaching the end of this segment. unless they intend the bite he got last week to the the source of the infection? But I wonder if they intend keeping the Hound around a lot longer?
I believe Bronn did visit Tyrion in the cells. The scene probably wasn't as extensive or heartfelt as the one in the show, but I clearly remember him telling Tyrion about his engagement to Lollys and his plans for the future. He also declined to be Tyrion's champion for much the same reasons as in the show. In fact I think his comment about the Mountain being wicked fast and strong were word for word what he told Tyrion in the episode.

Totally agree about Dinklage and the Emmy, he does quite a good job with Bolivar Trask in the new X-Men film too.

The Hound picked up his wound in the books when he and Arya confronted Gregor's men. It did get a lot worse. This time he was bitten by Biter and a bite wound is probably going to get bad very quickly, especially as the Hound wouldn't let Arya burn the infection out. I'd say that she'll leave him helpless and 'dying' sometime in the final episode.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2014, 08:08:50 AM »
The UK didn't get an episode this week - did this happen everywhere? :'(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2014, 08:12:50 AM »
The UK didn't get an episode this week - did this happen everywhere? :'(

Nope, Episode 8 hasn't aired anywhere yet. The above is all speculation based one being readers of the books.
Make Another World.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2014, 08:58:28 AM »
Nope, Episode 8 hasn't aired anywhere yet. The above is all speculation based one being readers of the books.

Ah, ok thanks. I was wondering because I saw that the episode was already included in the index of a review site I usually read after watching (for those who've read the books).

I hadn't actually read what they posted yesterday, as at the moment there are so many different things from the books (or at least different combinations) that I was afraid there might be spoilers, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2014, 08:22:12 PM »
No fix for this week. But, going by the episode's trailer, it will be quite a spectacle. Can't wait for Sunday to arrive  ;D
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns