November 22, 2019, 09:37:05 PM

Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV Show) - Season 4  (Read 28348 times)

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
Re: Game of Thrones (TV Show) - Season 4
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2014, 11:57:11 PM »
And wow, way to make us sympathize with Cersai!

Indeed! It was in Feast of Crows that I started to empathise with Cersei, despite all she had done until then. The same goes for this season; while her intent in seeking her brother's oblivion through a false accusation makes her look like a madwoman, her honesty in regards to acknowledging Jeoffrey's monstrosity and her motherly longing for her daughter made me become more aware of her own hopes & fears.

Also, Hodor and Bran. That was nice.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2014, 01:16:38 AM »
A nice episode today (despite no Tyrion), moved at a brisk pace, lots of action and some lovely character interaction.  Karl Turner looked so damn familiar, couldn't put my finger on it, and in the end had to turn to trusty wikipedia - it's Owen Harper!  (Torchwood) Great actor, shame he doesn't get more work. 

Daenerys plot seems to have come to a standstill for the season, unless as Elfy speculated there is the development of moving Jorah to the outside, maybe jealousy of Dario leads to Jorah going over the line? 

And Stannis needs to get moving!  Guessing episode 9 will be the showdown on the Wall!  And episode 10 must be that next delicious murder!   And how long till Lysa gets the heave ho?  Will they wait till near the end of the season, or could it happen within the next episode or two? 

And wow, way to make us sympathize with Cersai!
Harper is an excellent actor. I remember him from Torchwood, it took me a while to recognise him and when I did it was such a departure that I had trouble reconciling the two. Sign of a good actor, there.

We actually thought Lysa may be taking a flight out the door later in the same episode, but it was not to be. She's even more unhinged than she was in the book. Loved Sophie Turner's expression when Aunty Lysa tells her that she's going to marry Robin. Oh joy!
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2014, 08:04:38 AM »
Karl Turner looked so damn familiar, couldn't put my finger on it, and in the end had to turn to trusty wikipedia - it's Owen Harper!  (Torchwood) Great actor, shame he doesn't get more work.

I felt the same, but I remembered by myself, after the twisted smile - it must have been his acting dead that linked to GoT's character now ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2014, 08:13:08 AM »
Karl Turner looked so damn familiar, couldn't put my finger on it, and in the end had to turn to trusty wikipedia - it's Owen Harper!  (Torchwood) Great actor, shame he doesn't get more work.

I felt the same, but I remembered by myself, after the twisted smile - it must have been his acting dead that linked to GoT's character now ;D

I remembered him from The Dark Knight Rises, in a similarly slimy role.
Make Another World.

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2014, 10:49:27 PM »
So, last night's episode ended with one of the finest performances seen on television, by our very own Peter Dinklage. His speech was formidable.

I don't know why they didn't have Dany's dragon eating the boy, though. Wouldn't have changed much, but I remember the scene raising strong concerns in Daenerys about her 'sons'.

The tension is building up nicely. Looking forward to Tyrion's trial, and the later scene in the loo.

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2014, 11:54:05 PM »
So, last night's episode ended with one of the finest performances seen on television, by our very own Peter Dinklage. His speech was formidable.

I don't know why they didn't have Dany's dragon eating the boy, though. Wouldn't have changed much, but I remember the scene raising strong concerns in Daenerys about her 'sons'.

The tension is building up nicely. Looking forward to Tyrion's trial, and the later scene in the loo.
I don't think they ever actually showed the eating or incineration of the boy in the books either, but had his father bringing the charred bones to court. From memory and I may be incorrect here, Dany was almost used to dealing with her dragons taking sheep and goats, so thought that's what the bones were initially, until it was pointed out to her that they were a child's bones, so they may be saving that for later.

The episode was completely dominated by Peter Dinklage's Tyrion though. That was a hell of a performance. Very similar to the books, in some cases near word for word from the books, Shae's testimony aside. Be very interesting to see how they advance it.

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2014, 08:44:08 AM »

I don't think they ever actually showed the eating or incineration of the boy in the books either, but had his father bringing the charred bones to court. From memory and I may be incorrect here, Dany was almost used to dealing with her dragons taking sheep and goats, so thought that's what the bones were initially, until it was pointed out to her that they were a child's bones, so they may be saving that for later.

That's how it happened, and I meant that scene, where the bones of the child are brought to her and then she is told they do not belong to a goat. It has a strong emotional impact for Dany, since I think it is one of the first times where she acknowledges the fact that those dragons are no longer the cute little babies they used to be. But maybe the series will have another scene to show that later on.

Also, no Arya/Hound. Again.  :(

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2014, 12:59:53 AM »

Also, no Arya/Hound. Again.  :(
Yeah, but from the previews for next week, they're in it again. Because at present we've got three major character groups: Arya and the Hound, Brienne and Pod and Bran and Co, basically wandering around and not actually advancing the story it's kind hard to feature them to any extent until they do something that does advance the main narrative.

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2014, 08:15:18 AM »

That's how it happened, and I meant that scene, where the bones of the child are brought to her and then she is told they do not belong to a goat. It has a strong emotional impact for Dany, since I think it is one of the first times where she acknowledges the fact that those dragons are no longer the cute little babies they used to be. But maybe the series will have another scene to show that later on.

Presumably they were just setting up that she meets with all of these subjects while also showing the audience that her dragons are loose and eating livestock. I'd expect now this is set up for the child's bones to be very soon. There is not a chance GoT is leaving that particular scene out.
Make Another World.

Offline Stars Cascade

• Bridgeburner
  • All Knowledge is worth having
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Game of Thrones (TV Show) - Season 4
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2014, 11:43:22 PM »

I LOVE Tyrions speech.  So powerful.  Masterfully done.

I liked Dany having to face the human side of her actions re: the masters. She was clearly uncomfortable with the reality of what she had done and the effect it had on others. Never mind that not all she had killed where guilty of the crime she had them executed for and she'd clearly never even considered that until then.

I suspect there will be lots of wandering and pondering on a few plot lines purely because not a lot happens for them for quite a while.  :/
~ Love as thou Wilt ~

*@stars__cascade*

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2014, 11:53:13 PM »
I must say that having mixed the events of Feast for Crows and Storm of Swords makes the series far less dull than that damned fourth book. Even with all the wandering around.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2014, 12:01:51 AM »
I must say that having mixed the events of Feast for Crows and Storm of Swords makes the series far less dull than that damned fourth book. Even with all the wandering around.
Me too. They're even putting some stuff from Dance in there as well. It had to happen, mainly for the logistics of a TV show as much as anything else. It will be very interesting to see what happens when they have to go beyond what has been published. They're handling things that didn't happen in the books quite well at present (Bran's kidnapping, the torture of Theon), although I rather think they've forgotten about Gendry.

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2014, 11:39:33 AM »
Me too. They're even putting some stuff from Dance in there as well. It had to happen, mainly for the logistics of a TV show as much as anything else. It will be very interesting to see what happens when they have to go beyond what has been published. They're handling things that didn't happen in the books quite well at present (Bran's kidnapping, the torture of Theon), although I rather think they've forgotten about Gendry.

Gendry's floating around somewhere between Dragonstones & King's Landing, trying not to fall out of the boat and drown...  He's probably bumped into the corpse of Ser Dontos as well.  :)
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2014, 12:12:24 PM »
He's probably bumped into the corpse of Ser Dontos as well.  :)

But apparently they've already found his corpse, they mentioned it during the trial.

At home I've got the link to a site that suggests a chronological reading order of Feast and Dance, that I'll use when I re-read the books. Apparently it's what they're doing with the series now.
Edit: here's the link http://boiledleather.com/post/24543217702/a-proposed-a-feast-for-crows-a-dance-with-dragons
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:50:45 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2014, 12:04:17 AM »
So, Sansa's aunt was dealt with faster than I ever expected. The writers are wasting no time with Sansa's plot, it seems.

Really enjoyed the scene with Tyrion and Bronn. Even though it is hard to see one of Tyrion's only friends abandoning him, there is a raw honesty in their relationship, where they never pretended to be something else than what they really are to each other. Of course, our dear Oberyn came in at the right moment, but then I thought of what will happen to him and, well, that's that.

Our dear Arya is getting ever more colder when it comes to killing. By now, I'm starting to think that her whole plot in the other continent will take place in the next season. In 7 episodes, she and the Hound have done nothing, plot-wise.