July 29, 2014, 11:41:45 AM

Author Topic: Fringe  (Read 1510 times)

DBASKLS

Fringe
« on: March 12, 2012, 06:30:28 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • Anyone watch this? I managed to completely miss it when it first aired but Sky have just repeated Season One and now I'm addicted. Of course, I can't find when Season Two is due to be repeated!

Really like John Noble in it and it took me a while to realise he was Denethor!

• Currently reading : Sharps - K J Parker
    • On hold : The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

FlemmingHansen

Re: Fringe
    « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 06:39:34 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • Anyone watch this? I managed to completely miss it when it first aired but Sky have just repeated Season One and now I'm addicted. Of course, I can't find when Season Two is due to be repeated!

Really like John Noble in it and it took me a while to realise he was Denethor!

Sure do! G But it gets a tad too weird at season four. However, Walther is always awesome, deranged, odd and lovable. :)

twitter|blog|website

DBASKLS

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:11:42 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0

• Sure do! G But it gets a tad too weird at season four.

Hmm see I don't want to weird or convoluted! J J Abrahms's track record isn't very good on that front!
    « Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:08:51 PM by dbaskls »
    • Currently reading : Sharps - K J Parker
    • On hold : The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

Mazarkis

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:49:02 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • I thought season 4 was slow to begin, and then I was angry about the story line - but the more I think about it, the more I think the season 4 I actually *wanted* would have been boring. This season forces them to deal with the fallout from how they fixed things last season. I am hoping it ends satisfactorily as there might not be a season 5.

Ken

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 06:47:01 AM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • I like it a lot and hope it won't get cancelled after this season. Yeah season 4 started slowly but it's getting interesting now and will see how the writers will wrap things up.

Overlord

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 02:46:23 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • I watched about 10 episodes of series one but found it was very, very slow. It reminded me a lot of Smallville season one - where every episode is pretty much the same. I guess things pick up? :)
    Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
    Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
    Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
    Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Mazarkis

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • I agree the first half of season 1 was slow. Yes, it picked up -- a lot.

Overlord

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 03:00:44 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • I agree the first half of season 1 was slow. Yes, it picked up -- a lot.

At what point? I might have to drag out the boxset again. I loved the idea and I loved Walter, it was just the:

'look at this crazy mutation / occurrence - ah, solved it now." Type thing that began to bug me. I guess like Smallville / Angel / Buffy / etc - there will be a point where a bigger story comes into play and it moves towards solving that.
    Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
    Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
    Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
    Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Mazarkis

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 03:09:43 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • Yes. I'm trying to remember when the major arc begins, but I'm guessing it's not long after where you stopped watching. Second half of season one.

Toc the Youngest

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 05:18:21 AM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • If you pay close attention this season almost all the cases are very similar to past episodes and storylines.  Love this show, lots of Easter eggs and quick references to other scifi/geeky works.  John Noble not winning or at the least being nominated for an Emmy every year is B.S.!
    "Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living." - Duiker

Mazarkis

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 07:31:01 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • I completely agree, Toc.

Lionwalker

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • I watched about 10 episodes of series one but found it was very, very slow. It reminded me a lot of Smallville season one - where every episode is pretty much the same. I guess things pick up? :)

Things most definitely pick up, it's one of those series that require the slow build up. The first season is a bit episodic but the all the rest of the seasons focus on the same overarching story arc, which is pretty great. Worth sticking it out. It's kind of similar to the X-Files...speaking of which, has anyone rewatched it lately? I keep meaning to, but am in two minds about it. I don't want to ruin an amazing memory of a great television by watching it again and realising it's not all I thought it was. A bit like rewatching It when you're older, the fear is gone and not it's just not the same when you're laughing. Although TBH, I still don't like walking near storm drains.
    Follow me on Twitter: @_Lionwalker

Captain_Newtype

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 05:58:56 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0

• Fringe does feel like an updated Y2K verson of The X-Files... on Acid. X-Files at the height of its storytelling quality (years 1, 2 and 3) is still pretty good, the 'Conspiracy Mythos' that effectivly killed the show by being too convoluted for its own good has yet to become the bloated beast and the standalone episodes range from generic to inventive from week to week. I watched the pilot episode of the X-Files last week and is still a very good 45 minutes of drama and manages to give you all you need for the premise of the show and doesn't feel flabby or forced.

For all of Fringe's insane plotting and how it leaps to greater and greater heights of insanity for a primetime show... on Fox, it manages to keep the storylines ticking over and actually bothers to answer the questions it asks. THEN goes even more crazy. If you had approached me midway through watching Season 1 and told me what I would be in for by the time Season Four had finished, I would not believe you.

Fringe is really what Torchwood should have been like. Off the wall, insane drama, but knew when to take itself seriously and when to have John Noble (easily the best thing about the show) walk around naked, stoned off his tits. While doing important research work. On a cow.
    I'd like to say I'm a writer, but that would occasionally require product. As it stands, I'm just a dreamer with a big mouth and poor time management.

Not really a Captain, I bought the rank used off eBay.

Lionwalker

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 09:44:58 AM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • You nailed it Captain_Newtype :)
    Walter is definitely the best part of the show. And what is so strange is that it all seems so logical and relatively believable when you watch the show, yet when I saw you describe what Walter does, and it is very true, I realised how crazy the things that happen in the story are, and yet it never seems ridiculous!
    Follow me on Twitter: @_Lionwalker

Tags: