April 12, 2021, 09:45:50 PM

Author Topic: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them  (Read 3684 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 06:51:52 PM »
Besides which,
Spoiler for Hiden:
stuck there forever?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Peat

• Master Namer
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 08:38:44 PM »
Speaking of personality tests - anyone thought of personality testing their characters before?

Anyway

Spoiler for Hiden:
Forever ever? Well, that'd beat losing my friends/love and going back to work in a canning factory if you ask me.

But I don't see why it would need to be forever ever (forever ever ever) as I don't see any problem with letting him out in the UK/a year/whatever. If the President and other wizards were that bothered, then surely they'd have sent a wizard to make sure he went dancin' in the rain.

We're going too deep down the rabbit hole. Its not fair to expect a film to show every bit of its working.

But for me, this was a loaded gun that failed to go off in Act 3. I think we can all agree that its bad storytelling for the loaded gun not to go off in general, even if we disagree about whether this was a loaded gun in this instance.
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 04:27:43 AM »
Finally went yesterday, found it pretty disappointing.

From a plot perspective it felt like two separate films crammed together - "Newt recovers his fantastical creatures" and "investigate the dark mysterious force lurking in the city" - but not in a good way. Both could have been great stories on their own, but they just didn't mesh in any real way. The creature sequences ended up feeling cringeworthy, the other plot ended up feeling shallow and rushed. There were so many instances of "why didn't they just..." throughout. Niffler in jewellery store? Let's jump in and trash the place while trying to physically grab it, even though we could just twirl a wand and catch it using magic!  :-\

The characters were pretty uninspiring too. Thought Redmayne was pretty awful; no difference between this performance and any of several other films he's been in recently, and he never felt believable in the story - guess both of us just don't like him as an actor. The rest of the main characters were pretty bland as well. The supporting cast was ok, though Depp looked really out of place.

The setting was pretty good though, and the only thing that really shone was the animation.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ultamentkiller

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 02:23:29 AM »
Saw it last weekend. I give it a 4/5. Maybe closer to a 3.75, but...

I forgot how this magic system has no consequences whatsoever. Oh, that's right. We'll carry an entire habitat around in a suitcase, and it won't be that heavy, no noises will emerge, and all of that stuff. Makes complete sense. And how can the American wizards be roaming around NYC, but not understand electricity? In England, the wizards barely saw the real world. It was only when they had to interact. That being said, the English wizards had an electric elevator with an electronic voice, and still said they had no understanding of electricity. So maybe I'm just supposed to overlook this plot flaw, because the Harry Potter world doesn't have to make sense.

Other than those things, I did like the ending. The story before that was just okay, but the ending made me think more highly of everything. I completely see the point Nora made about Newt mumbling. That got old after a while. And it made him harder to understand. In fact, one of the other characters points it out. Maybe they thought that would make it okay? I don't know.

Offline DireWolfSnow

• Soulfinder
  • Write the White Wolf
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »
Wife and I went to go see it last weekend and we enjoyed it.

I can see where some of the complaints come from, though. The Harry Potter film settings were alive with magic. Everything was magic from candles to hats to paintings. Fantastic Beasts was missing that magic for the most part. Yes the ministry felt magical, but the rest of the setting just felt... uninspired?

Overall it was a fun movie, not perfect, but still fun.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 11:07:57 AM »
School holidays again so today Tygrand of 12 and I finally got to Fantastic Beasts. Went with open mind and  enjoyed it, but for both of us too long.  The main plot was rather weird, seemed a bit disjointed.

I liked Newt and his companions, Queenie and Kowalski best of all.  All the beasts were fascinating, clever, brilliant designs and effects. Laughed at the Dung Beetles quietly trundling all the time, regardless of anything else.

Forgot Johnny Depp was in it and even had to check who he played after reading the comments above.  Woah, that cheeky Jack Sparrow comes all the way down to this, although I know he couldn't play for laughs, but could have been more interesting.

The way they re-created New York of the 1920's was good,  the special effects were all excellent and the speak-easy with gangster boss was a mini-blast, but the two storylines and the setting didn't seem to fit together comfortably.

Definitely Spoiler please only read if you have seen film.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I loved all the Beasts and thought the world in the suitcase was genuinely fantastic and well created.  I enjoyed  every minute spent there. Could have enjoyed a whole film built around finding and rescuing the beasts, but without most of the New York mage and villains complication. 7/10

I guessed Grindelwald very early on so that was no surprise.

I was sorry at first that Kowalski was left in the rain, but seeing his delicious pastries and cakes and how happy he was baking away, that made up for it. And seems like Queenie still hangs around there.  ;)

Asking you to give me equal rights implies that they are yours to give.  Instead, I must demand that you stop trying to deny me the rights all people deserve"  ~Elizabeth Peratrovich~

Offline hexa

• Bridgeburner
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2021, 07:35:16 PM »

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2021, 10:50:12 PM »
School holidays again so today Tygrand of 12 and I finally got to Fantastic Beasts. Went with open mind and  enjoyed it, but for both of us too long.  The main plot was rather weird, seemed a bit disjointed.

I liked Newt and his companions, Queenie and Kowalski best of all.  All the beasts were fascinating, clever, brilliant designs and effects. Laughed at the Dung Beetles quietly trundling all the time, regardless of anything else.

Forgot Johnny Depp was in it and even had to check who he played after reading the comments above.  Woah, that cheeky Jack Sparrow comes all the way down to this, although I know he couldn't play for laughs, but could have been more interesting.

The way they re-created New York of the 1920's was good,  the special effects were all excellent and the speak-easy with gangster boss was a mini-blast, but the two storylines and the setting didn't seem to fit together comfortably.

Definitely Spoiler please only read if you have seen film.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I loved all the Beasts and thought the world in the suitcase was genuinely fantastic and well created.  I enjoyed  every minute spent there. Could have enjoyed a whole film built around finding and rescuing the beasts, but without most of the New York mage and villains complication. 7/10

I guessed Grindelwald very early on so that was no surprise.

I was sorry at first that Kowalski was left in the rain, but seeing his delicious pastries and cakes and how happy he was baking away, that made up for it. And seems like Queenie still hangs around there.  ;)

The second film is such a mess. I can't see how they can rescue those films.
The Real Powers That Be