March 05, 2021, 04:40:52 AM

Author Topic: Dune 2020-2021  (Read 2283 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Dune 2020-2021
« on: September 09, 2020, 06:51:37 PM »
The trailer's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4KdU82otFc&ab_channel=Nerdist

It's looks *amazing*!!
I just don't understand why people complain so much about the 1984 version: my 14-year-old self loved it, I've watched it again since, and although there are some weird scenes, it still totally holds its own - and this trailer looks A LOT like that version (minus the more advanced special effects, of course)!

Dune 1984 trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwPTIEWTYEI&ab_channel=bringbackthemusic
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 09:23:07 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
Re: Dune 2020
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 06:54:56 PM »
I am incredibly excited for this. Even if it's a terrible film, I'd pay to see something this good-looking.

I was already debating a Dune reread after my Foundation one, and this may have just tipped the scales.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline hexa

• Ambient Mage
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 10:46:49 PM »
In 1984, very few people knew about Dune.  Most people that watched the movie in 1984 found the backstory too complicated, too hard to understand.  Even professional film critics complained about it.

Today, millions of people are familiar with Dune, and they no longer complain that it's too arcane

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 08:31:02 AM »
I've just watched the trailer and hell, this looks amazing! I'm excited to see a new fantasy/scifi novel being made into a new film franchise, and this one seemed like I could put my trust in. Will definitely be anticipating to watch this.  :D

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Bridgeburner
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 09:19:13 AM »
I'm disappointed. But only because I had somehow gotten the idea that this would be a TV series, so when I realised it's just one film I was sad. It does look absolutely awesome, though.  :D

The old film wasn't just problematic because of all the backstory (which was missing); it had serious narrative issues. There's a really well-made fan edit out there which includes a longer prologue and some seriously skilled editing, including adding scenes that had been cut and re-arraning a lot of scenes so they make better narrative sense.

I can highly recommend it, you can find it here.

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 11:47:40 AM »
I haven't read Dune yet, so I'm avoiding the trailer :) I need to read it ASAP!
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 12:50:09 PM »
Isos, I watched the film when I was 14 and read the book when I was around 45.
You can definitely see the film before reading, the book has far more detail that can never be captured in a film...

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 03:23:27 PM »
I'm disappointed. But only because I had somehow gotten the idea that this would be a TV series, so when I realised it's just one film I was sad. It does look absolutely awesome, though.  :D

@Magnus Hedén it is not one film, it's two films, just for the novel Dune. Then, who knows.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline hexa

• Ambient Mage
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 08:56:49 PM »

Offline hexa

• Ambient Mage
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 11:55:19 PM »

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 07:59:16 AM »
There are 365 days in a year, or 52 weeks, so 52 options to release a film: do they really need to overlap? ::)

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Bridgeburner
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 08:43:16 AM »
I know which one I'll choose.

I don't have the time to verify the veracity of the claim, but I read somewhere that one of the creators said "the new film will explore the trauma of Batman having lost his parents" or something to that effect, which just seems like a BRILLIANT NEW DIRECTION for a Batman film.  ;D

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 10:41:28 AM »
I know which one I'll choose.

I don't have the time to verify the veracity of the claim, but I read somewhere that one of the creators said "the new film will explore the trauma of Batman having lost his parents" or something to that effect, which just seems like a BRILLIANT NEW DIRECTION for a Batman film.  ;D

You win the internet for today, Magnus. ;D

Oh, and news update, they'd changed the date for Batman, so they no longer clashed.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 11:21:59 AM »
They're not overlapping. They're both WB films, if anything that foreshadowed today's news : The Batman is pushed back to 2022.

This is making me feel so fucking sad. Dune was the single highlight of what is happing up to be the worst December of my adult life barring last year, I'm not happy about the pushback, even if it's probably good for the film too. Everything is pushing back... SIGH.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 11:24:21 AM »
I don't know that cinemas will even be open here by December, so I'm not complaining. I'd love to see that one on the big screen. (Dune, I mean, not Batman. Though one day I'll probably see that too, even if just for RPattz.)