October 23, 2019, 01:09:41 AM

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Inquisition  (Read 6151 times)

Offline Jonny_Anonymous

• Builder
  • Bring Us The Girl And Wipe Away The Debt
    • View Profile
Dragon Age: Inquisition
« on: November 22, 2014, 01:57:38 AM »
Anybody been playing it? I got it today and have put in a few hours and I've been loving it so far. It really feels like Bioware has gotten back on track.
“There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived.”

? Anomander Rake

Offline Ashes

Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 06:29:33 PM »
I'll be buying a PS4 soon, this is first on the list of games to get. I loved the first two and apparently this improves on all the faults of the earlier games. Plus those graphics look amazing.
“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the persuit of evil.” David Gemmell

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 06:41:55 PM »
This and the 2 AC games are the only things I've been looking at all year. And supposedly, this is supposed to blow the past DA games out of the water.

Will probably get it tonight, to which I'll become a hermit over Thanksgiving break.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Jonny_Anonymous

• Builder
  • Bring Us The Girl And Wipe Away The Debt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 03:46:30 PM »
This and the 2 AC games are the only things I've been looking at all year. And supposedly, this is supposed to blow the past DA games out of the water.

Will probably get it tonight, to which I'll become a hermit over Thanksgiving break.

I have really been loving it so far. If you get it let us know what you think?
“There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived.”

? Anomander Rake

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 05:50:29 AM »
It's almost midnight and my ramblings won't do it justice, but just know this: I've logged ten hours of gameplay today and just got to the second main mission. There are some flaws, of course (namely combat and what it could've been), but overall, I'm loving it. Has a bigger scope than Skyrim, if that's a good hook in.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline JonRock411

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »
Am I the only one who finds it odd that there are two separate game series with Templars as major plot points?

Personally, I'm enjoying DAI.  I like that it seems to tie back with the previous games than DA2 did.  It definitely feels like a finale.  (I still kind of want a side-game where a new blight shows up and you lead a team made up of all the Grey Warden characters (save the Warden for obvious reasons), but that's just my wishful thinking.)

Offline Ben

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 02:38:43 AM »
I so badly want to be playing Dragon Age. But I just cannot afford it at this moment. But soon....very soon...hopefully.

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 11:22:02 PM »
Dragon Age: Inquisition essentially owns my soul at the moment.

So good. Soooo gooood.
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 11:30:01 PM »
Brilliant game, and ridiculously huge.

Minor Spoilers for the first bit of the story
Spoiler for Hiden:
I've just got Skyhold.

I've done nearly everything in The Hinterlands. Everything available in The Storm Coast. Most of the Forbidden Oasis, and obviously Val Royeaux.

But I just unlocked (stacked up Power from subquests in The Hinterlands mainly!):

Crestwood
The Fallow Mire
The Western Approach
Emerald Graves
Emprise Du Lion
Exalted Plains

This game is mind-bogglingly huge.

What's everyone's favourite party members? So far I tend to go with Varric, Vivienne and Iron Bull. But I just got Dorian and he seems interesting. I like Solas and Cassandra too - Cassandra and Varric in particular have some of the best party banter. Iron Bull is hilarious, though.

Does anyone use Sera? She's pretty annoying...
Make Another World.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 12:21:59 AM »
35hrs in while being halfway through, and brilliantly huge is an understatement. :P

Pretty sure this game has my favorite mission in the series. Minor spoilers for mission after Idlewilder's.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Winter Palace court intrigue. Probably the biggest mission in the series, too. Reminds me of the party mission in Dishonored. I loved the way I ended it, by confronting the conspirator in front of everybody instead of stopping the killer.. So awesome in dialogue; kinda like the wrap up to a whodunit, and that's something you don't see in Dragon Age.

Other than that, I'm loving it. Just finished everything in the Hinterlands, aside from that pesky flying thing. Storm Coast was small compared to that, but I need to go back for the
Spoiler for Hiden:
red lyrium.
The Fallow Mire was another small place, but ridiculously amazing. Love me some swamp. And Crestwood before it stops raining is so interesting. Nice fantasy village vibe. Kinda like the Witcher. I stacked up 80 power just so I could, and then opened a few missions and places. The game just keeps getting bigger.

My team consists of PC (a DW redheaded Elf Assassin, but I should've went Artificer Archer), Blackwall because I can't stand Cassandra, Sera because I don't like going through all the trouble of upgrading Varric's Bianca, and Vivienne because Knight Enchanter+Frost is overpowered. Fire+Necromancer Dorian is too weak, but he does great on small fights.

Sera has her moments, that's for sure, but it just makes me wish I was an archer that much more (Even if I can achieve 1000dps on a critical hit). She really has a mouth. On annoying characters, for some reason I can't stand Cole. So cryptic and long-winded. And putting Blackwall with any nobility (Vivienne or Dorian) is so grating. He can't stand the nobility, and I just don't understand why. He also has no sense of humor. But Iron Bull can be weak with that Two-handed set.

I have other thoughts (especially the wacky arm movements in conversation and the lackluster tactical mode I was so hyped for) but I will say, combat isn't so bad later on. Beginning to really like it. Though I still think DW rogue has the weakest of them all.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 12:23:55 AM by C.Hill »

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 11:42:01 AM »
My favourite character at the moment is probably Solas - he's so honourable, and measured, and sensible, and there's something very appealing about getting to know him past that. I enjoy Vivienne's tendency to call everyone "darling" and her barbed comments are hilarious, but she pretty much disapproves of everything I do. I'm warming to Cassandra very much, despite not liking her particularly in DA2, and The Iron Bull's enthusiasm for beating stuff up is great.

Dorian though. Dorian is hilarious and very pretty indeed. I take him along everywhere now so he can mock other party member's sartorial choices.

(is it weird that I miss having party members with serious "issues"? Fenris in particular, with his tendency to get drunk and throw wine bottles around. I want more angry/sexy companions)
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline DMHamilton

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 01:25:50 AM »
The advert for this really has me really tempted, but I can't justify splashing out on a game I only end up playing for 30 mins and giving up on (again!).

I loved Skyrim. Loved. I really couldn't get into Shadow of Mordor. I tried, but it just didn't grab me and I gave up on it. So, answer me this, please: With the above in mind, what are the chances that I'll like DA Inquisition? Does it lean more toward Skyrim or Shadow of Mordor?

Thanks!
DH

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 05:38:12 AM »
Having not played Shadows of Mordor, I can't give an accurate response. I can say that if you don't like it, I'm sure you could buy the game, test it out, and then sell it on eBay if you don't like it. It's probably the best AAA game out right now, seeing as there's very few bugs (haven't read anything about FarCry 4, though) and it's actually amazing for an RPG. I'd also like to know what you liked about Skyrim and didn't with SoM. And if you've played any of the Dragon Ages before this one.

DA:I, in my opinion, took the best of the last two and sandwiched them into this one. Combat is intuitive and strategic while also being fast-paced, but not the stupid gimmick of DA2. The stupid dialogue wheel is still in, but that will hopefully go away in time. Hopefully. It also took the best of Skyrim (aside from the HUGE freedom that's hard to emulate in any game), like an actually awesome crafting system, massive scope that's bigger than the Elder Scrolls, and more side quests than you can shake a stick it. Plus, backstory, codex, and fleshed-out characters. Curious to see how the Witcher 3 tops it, and how BioWare tops it for their next game.

I'd also like to recant my statement about the DW Rogue being the weakest. Lvl. 18 and I'm shelling out anywhere from 1K to 4K damage from a Stealth+Twin Blades+Backstab+Heavy Critical Damage Modifier. It might be frail, but I think it's the hardest hitter in the game. And if you can get Masterwork material that offers Walking Fortress (and Hidden Blades on my weapons as a personal favorite) coupled with Barrier, then you can wade through the battlefield like a shielded warrior, but stronger. It's amazing.

Did I also mention there's not a hard level cap in single player? And that 35hrs in wasn't near halfway through. 50 now, and I still haven't touched the next main mission since then. Definitely doing a Hard Artificer Archer next play through.

Offline DMHamilton

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 11:09:32 AM »
Hey C.Hil, thanks for the comprehensive post!

I'm new to Dragon Age. I haven't played any of the previous games.

What I loved about Skyrim: The open world aspect. I'd say I spent as long wandering around exploring, crafting, and gathering stuff to upgrade houses as I did playing the storyline missions. I liked the lore and the history of the game too.

What I didn't like about SoM: The world felt too heavily populated. It felt like I was in combat the whole time, and getting anywhere took ages. Respawns seemed to happen very quickly and I didn't really like the combat system. Overall, the game felt too linear for me, and what free roam there was didn't really appeal to me. In saying all of this, I do wonder if I'm missing something, as I've seen a lot of very positive reviews for it.

From what you've said, it sounds like DA:I will be my cup of tea. As soon as I've finished Far Cry, I think I'll give it a go!

Cheers,
DH

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 11:49:54 AM »
Hey C.Hil, thanks for the comprehensive post!

I'm new to Dragon Age. I haven't played any of the previous games.

What I loved about Skyrim: The open world aspect. I'd say I spent as long wandering around exploring, crafting, and gathering stuff to upgrade houses as I did playing the storyline missions. I liked the lore and the history of the game too.

What I didn't like about SoM: The world felt too heavily populated. It felt like I was in combat the whole time, and getting anywhere took ages. Respawns seemed to happen very quickly and I didn't really like the combat system. Overall, the game felt too linear for me, and what free roam there was didn't really appeal to me. In saying all of this, I do wonder if I'm missing something, as I've seen a lot of very positive reviews for it.

From what you've said, it sounds like DA:I will be my cup of tea. As soon as I've finished Far Cry, I think I'll give it a go!

Cheers,
DH

Shadow of Mordor isn't really an RPG - it's an open-world action game ala Batman: Arkham City or Assassin's Creed. Dragon Age is a lot more like Skyrim as they're straight-up RPGs. The world is made up of around 10 very different open-world areas that are each bigger than most games, with some rivalling Skyrim on their own. It's huge. The combat is...not really anything like Skyrim or Shadow of Mordor. It's party-based, so there's not just one character. It's a lot closer to Skyrim than Mordor without doubt, but it's also its own beast.

It's a fantastic game though. If you like fantasy and/or RPGs you really should play it.
Make Another World.