November 19, 2019, 09:48:18 PM

Author Topic: Brandon Sanderson's Major Movie Deal  (Read 2838 times)

Offline ultamentkiller

Brandon Sanderson's Major Movie Deal
« on: October 27, 2016, 09:36:42 PM »
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/brandon-sanderson-cosmere-movie-adaptation-dmg-1201902500/

I'm excited, and scared at the same time. I don't think It's good for Stormlight to have a book deal this early in the series, nor do I think it will do well as a movie. However, with the amount of money that's being poured into this... How bad can it be?

Thoughts?

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
Re: Brandon Sanderson's Major Movie Deal
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 09:43:02 PM »
I'm excited for Mistborn, but agree about Stormlight. Better leave that until it's finished (at least the first set of 5). Also, the writers of SAW are working on Stormlight??!!  :o :o :o
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 09:52:15 PM »
Thing about Stormlight: Sanderson writes each book as three separate stories. That's one of the reasons he has the interludes - they're a kind of break in between the three major arcs of the book.

If they have any sense at all, they'll do three films per book - one per arc - which means they'll fall further and further behind him as time goes on. One film every year means each book takes three years to be adapted into films, whereas (assuming he keeps to his current pace) Sanderson should be publishing a new book once every two years. Don't think it'd work any other way.

That completely ignores the issue of casting characters for a 20-30 film series though... Either they'll have to change the cast regularly or they'll have to age them quite a bit throughout, and hope nobody dies.  :o Or just do the whole thing as an animated series.  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 10:15:40 PM »
I think Mistborn would be way better as a video game, controlling the amount of metal you have for actions/battles and being too internal. Or they would have to change it to something more flashy. And the evolution of society to medieval-industrial-spacial could be pretty cool to see. But maybe it would be better as a TV series.

Didn't read Stormlight so can't comment on that.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Online Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 10:28:14 PM »
To be honest I don't think they'd be any good in movies. Especially not Mistborn where everything is so internal, like Lanko said, it'd be awesome as a video game.

The one thing that would be fantastic, done as an indie movie, would be the Emperor's Soul. Imagine a short film, 1h, 1h30... With beautiful shots of her carving, the seals digging into the objects, and the wonders CGI could do, to transition an object... The set of her room getting wider, better... And we could have views of snippets of the Emperor in action, but as she reads on in the journal, the same snippets of actions would be acted entirely differently by the actor, as Mei changes her opinion of him. He could be overplaying to beggin with, and turn all Kylo Ren by the end, a myriad of complex emotions, a man who fits his role, and yet could be improved on.

Wouldn't you dig the movie exploding when she finally gets her seals back? Damn I'd pay to be part of such a project, or to see it done.

Long, long shots of her drawing, or carving. Minutes of it, fixed camera, while the old man looks down on her working at finishing a seal. Imagine it, with a slant of light falling on the table, and the guards bored to death in the background, and after all the peaceful scrapping she'd finish the seal, he'd ask her if she's done, and she'd smile and say that people don't realise how long and painstakingly detailed the work is, to make a seal. How much of it is quiet study.
And then you'd see the old man act as she tests the fragments of the Emperor's soul on him...
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 10:32:52 PM »
Yes, I would like a The Emperor's Soul movie/animation.

I think it would need a little more action and conflict in it for this kind of media. Maybe we could see some of her thefts/impersonations/other soul forging that were only briefly mentioned in the book and that made her so legendary.
She could think of it while she carved the emperor's soul, if only just to break a little the overwhelming feeling of confinement.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Online Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 10:42:04 PM »

I think it would need a little more action and conflict in it for this kind of media. Maybe we could see some of her thefts/impersonations/other soul forging that were only briefly mentioned in the book and that made her so legendary.
She could think of it while she carved the emperor's soul, if only just to break a little the overwhelming feeling of confinement.

That's why I think it'd be best as a short indie movie. It doesn't need this much action. Though we could well have it all begin by her theft in the palace and arrest, so that it flows easier for the viewer.

But yeah, it's the best magic system for a live movie. I think animation would be ideal for Stormlight, but I can't see mistborn doing well in any way but a video game. There would need to be so much internal sensations being voiced for it to gain any tension...

What about Warbreaker? I think that might do very well if the CGI was up to par, but it'd need a lot cut out not to be boring. Actually, Warbreaker could be a 12 episode series. Easy. 
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 12:08:29 AM »

What about Warbreaker? I think that might do very well if the CGI was up to par, but it'd need a lot cut out not to be boring. Actually, Warbreaker could be a 12 episode series. Easy. 

I would be most excited for a Warbreaker movie. The use of color in the film has the potential to be breathtaking.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 12:26:26 AM »
Long, long shots of her drawing, or carving. Minutes of it, fixed camera, while the old man looks down on her working at finishing a seal. Imagine it, with a slant of light falling on the table, and the guards bored to death in the background, and after all the peaceful scrapping she'd finish the seal, he'd ask her if she's done, and she'd smile and say that people don't realise how long and painstakingly detailed the work is, to make a seal. How much of it is quiet study.
That sounds incredibly boring.

And I love slow films/books.

The Emperor's Soul could make a good film, but it'd have to focus on the characters interacting rather than Shai carving for minutes on end.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Online Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 12:45:12 AM »
Just because I think that a standing shot of 2min, with details of her carving seals would be amazing does by no mean imply I wish for a movie with no interacting... Where did you deduce so sharply that I wanted a movie with no character interaction? Or action?
Did you read the part where I mention action exploding as she gets her own seals back, the parts where we could see actions of the Emperor, editing over time, with the actor taking different approaches to his character as she knows him better?
Hope that could balance a 2min long artistic shot of her carving...

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 12:54:36 AM »
Given that my major irritation with Stormlight is that i don't think it needs to be anywhere near as long as it is, I love the idea of it getting slimmed down for movies so I can watch that instead of breaking my wrists with those unnecessary doorstoppers. ;)

Online Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 12:57:32 AM »
Given that my major irritation with Stormlight is that i don't think it needs to be anywhere near as long as it is, I love the idea of it getting slimmed down for movies so I can watch that instead of breaking my wrists with those unnecessary doorstoppers. ;)

I miss that aspect of those book, since I read them on my ereader. It's crazy how it makes the books slimmer in my mind, even though I've taken a good full week if not 10 days per volume.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 01:05:37 AM »
Just because I think that a standing shot of 2min, with details of her carving seals would be amazing does by no mean imply I wish for a movie with no interacting... Where did you deduce so sharply that I wanted a movie with no character interaction? Or action?
Did you read the part where I mention action exploding as she gets her own seals back, the parts where we could see actions of the Emperor, editing over time, with the actor taking different approaches to his character as she knows him better?
Hope that could balance a 2min long artistic shot of her carving...
The way you described it did not come across that way. You said "long, long shots", implying plural; "minutes of it, fixed camera", etc. Based on the focus of your post, and how you were waxing lyrical about her carving stuff, it sounded like you were imagining a movie composed of maybe 50% artsy shots of her carving various different things, and only 50% actual story.

Online Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 01:23:35 AM »
And you just can't find it in yourself to express that opinion in a less aggressive or contemptuous way than by going all "Extremely boring"? Couldn't add a few words or spin it more delicately?

Just in case, here's the first half of my post :

With beautiful shots of her carving, the seals digging into the objects, and the wonders CGI could do, to transition an object... The set of her room getting wider, better... And we could have views of snippets of the Emperor in action, but as she reads on in the journal, the same snippets of actions would be acted entirely differently by the actor, as Mei changes her opinion of him. He could be overplaying to beggin with, and turn all Kylo Ren by the end, a myriad of complex emotions, a man who fits his role, and yet could be improved on.

Wouldn't you dig the movie exploding when she finally gets her seals back? Damn I'd pay to be part of such a project, or to see it done.

It's worrying for me as a writer that you'd come this far down my post and think I was depicting a "movie composed of maybe 50% artsy shots of her carving various different things, and only 50% actual story".

Let me reframe my last paragraph.

Let's say long as what "feels" like long in a movie. Let's say 1 entire minutes, where she finishes carving a seal, the old man looks at her, the guards are bored, the music is nice, there are close ups on the tool digging trenches in that seal... and a nice 30scd more of her setting it, and printing it inside the old man's arm.
Then we're back to social interaction as the old man suddenly has feelings for his brother that he doesn't have, or green becomes his favourite colour, etc.

Are you satisfied? Does it sound less "incredibly boring" as a whole?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:26:38 AM by Nora »

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 01:49:57 AM »
And you just can't find it in yourself to express that opinion in a less aggressive or contemptuous way than by going all "Extremely boring"? Couldn't add a few words or spin it more delicately?
You can read into it whatever tone you want, doesn't mean you're right!

Just in case, here's the first half of my post :

With beautiful shots of her carving, the seals digging into the objects, and the wonders CGI could do, to transition an object... The set of her room getting wider, better... And we could have views of snippets of the Emperor in action, but as she reads on in the journal, the same snippets of actions would be acted entirely differently by the actor, as Mei changes her opinion of him. He could be overplaying to beggin with, and turn all Kylo Ren by the end, a myriad of complex emotions, a man who fits his role, and yet could be improved on.

It's worrying for me as a writer that you'd come this far down my post and think I was depicting a "movie composed of maybe 50% artsy shots of her carving various different things, and only 50% actual story".
That wasn't all of your post though! The above bit alone sounds more like it, but with the second paragraph added it came across that main point of the story, for you, was the arts-and-crafts side of it. When you describe one aspect in loving detail, it gives that aspect a lot of emphasis. Writers often use that as a technique to deliberately misdirect their readers, in fact!