October 20, 2019, 10:44:45 PM

Author Topic: BBCs Atlantis  (Read 3577 times)

Offline akapaoloverdi

BBCs Atlantis
« on: August 30, 2013, 05:09:02 PM »
Is anyone liking the look of this?
I've only seen the promotional poster and I can't help but be put off. It reminds me of the poster for Shrek!
"Lay this unto your breast: Old friends, like old swords, still are trusted best." John Webster

Offline Tenfingers

Re: BBCs Atlantis
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 08:54:25 PM »
Ah, that poster - The hero! The skinny genius! The Fat Oaf! - making me laugh, but for all the wrong reasons.

Still, will it be as bad as Under The Dome?
"Just write every day of your life. Read intensely. Then see what happens."
- Ray Bradbury

www.mister-alister.blogspot.co.uk

Offline ladygreen

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 09:15:32 PM »
I was excited.  Until I saw the poster.  Then I laughed.  Then I laughed some more when I read "The Legend Begins" under the goofy pic.  Oh, boy.

Offline Tenfingers

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 08:11:55 AM »
It turns out the three heroes are: Jason! Pythagoras! Hercules!
Oh dear...
- Ray Bradbury

Offline akapaoloverdi

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 09:56:57 AM »
Really? I mean. REALLY? Jason, Hercules and Pythagoras?
I notice that there seems to be a distinct lack of a female lead. I'm guessing there'll be a Casseopia or a Penelope that Jason fancies, and/or an evil queen/priestess/godess.
"Lay this unto your breast: Old friends, like old swords, still are trusted best." John Webster

Offline ladygreen

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 02:22:43 PM »
I'm giving it two chances.  Two episodes.  Hey - maybe the fault lies entirely with the BBC marketing team and this will actually be good...  Maybe the acting will be brilliant.  Maybe some dope coached them to wear those silly expressions and told them they looked good.  Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I'll hold out... Two episodes.

Offline Tenfingers

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 06:43:36 PM »
It does seem to have a decent creative force behind it, but after that poster, I'm expecting two major female characters:

1. The evil, dark-haired sorceress queen (a cackling Miranda Richardson-type)
2. The pure, young and blonde damsel in distress (someone from Hollyoaks)

It's a horrifying cliche worthy of decades ago, but that's how low I think it'll sink (no pun intended).

Two episodes? Sounds like a challenge, hehe.
Saying that, I did manage every episode of Sinbad...
- Ray Bradbury

Offline akapaoloverdi

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 12:00:27 PM »
I've seen some of the teasers now, and it looks to be shot quite nicely, but the jury is out until I hear some dialogue.
I'll probably watch the first episode, though, as there are too few fantasy programmes out there, and there is always hope.

Offline michaelramm

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 05:35:53 PM »
i can tell you that as an American, the BBC has a far superior track record for quality TV. I love IT Crowd, Merlin, Sherlock, Doctor Who and Robin Hood as much or more than any other American TV show in history.

So I will give it it a chance.
Currently Reading: Hunted [Iron Druid #6]
Favorite Authors: Tolkien, Sanderson, Kemp, Salvatore, Sullivan, Hearne
goodreads: michaelramm

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 08:34:52 PM »
Atlantis has now moved to the category "series I'll watch in the background while doing something else".
I mean, picking up gladiators' history (including their initial speech to Caesar) and putting them jumping a bull? Really? ::)
I'm all for greek myths stories, but here it feels like someone destroyed all the books in the collection, leaving just the names, and someone picked them up and combined everything together...

At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 09:39:06 AM »
I've only seen ep 1 and wasn't impressed. Mark Addy is good at comedy, but the writing for his character in this isn't good. The hero is a bit bland too. Mostly it just doesn't compare well to Merlin it. I'll watch a few more and see if the production company hit a grove.

However, having said that . . .

I mean, picking up gladiators' history (including their initial speech to Caesar) and putting them jumping a bull? Really? ::)

. . . I don't think they're meant to be Gladiators. They're prolly supposed to be the Cretan bull dancers. There are frescoes of people jumping bulls on some of the ruins in Crete, and it has a connection with the Theseus myth. I think or maybe I'm confusing myth, history, and Mary Renault.  ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »

. . . I don't think they're meant to be Gladiators. They're prolly supposed to be the Cretan bull dancers. There are frescoes of people jumping bulls on some of the ruins in Crete, and it has a connection with the Theseus myth. I think or maybe I'm confusing myth, history, and Mary Renault.  ;D

Yes, I meant it's a mixture of everything: greek, roman, persian, etc...
After all, I think it's well documented (or a well-known error) that it were gladiators that said "Salve Cesar, those who are about to die, salute you" (or something to that effect) - and the writers made our Atlantis heroes say that to King Minos, before going on to jump the bull.
I wish they'd just stick with one single era/culture...

Fortuna smiles on you (10)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:14:49 AM by xiagan »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 01:38:32 PM »

Yes, I meant it's a mixture of everything: greek, roman, persian, etc...
After all, I think it's well documented (or a well-known error) that it were gladiators that said "Salve Cesar, those who are about to die, salute you" (or something to that effect) - and the writers made our Atlantis heroes say that to King Minos, before going on to jump the bull.
I wish they'd just stick with one single era/culture...

Oh, right they're doing a Xena. Still not watched ep 2 yet. I guess they're hoping the fact that it's through the warp and set in another world/reality means they can smush up history and myth anyway that suits. Which is fine if they pull it off, car crash tv if they don't. Didn't look good based on ep 1 though.