June 01, 2020, 03:42:10 AM

Author Topic: are there any good high fantasy films or TV shows except the lotr and got  (Read 8198 times)

Offline andreasn

is there any high fantasy TV shows or movies other than lord of the rings and game of  thrones.
I can't find anything else than legend of the seeker which was terrible, except maybe merlin.
I really enjoyed merlin but that finished.

please, I really want to watch some good fantasy!

Offline JonRock411

Ok, let's see here.   Honestly there is several fantasy films, due to all the stuff that came out in the 80s, but it's definitely a quality over quantity thing.   The fantasy of Ray Harryhausen, stuff like Jason and the Argonauts or the orginal Clash Of The Titans, are classic and pretty fun in my opinion, though the effects (while amazing for the time) were a tad dated when I watched them as a child and probably haven't gotten any less dated in the two decades since.   Hmmm...The Princess Bride is always good, Willow, Labrynth, The Dark Crystal, The Neverending Story.  If you haven't seen the 1939 Wizard Of Oz then there's that.  Also depending on your view on it's genre, the original Star Wars trilogy counts (also the prequels, to an even greater extent actually, but the quality is touch and go there)

TV series is much harder, especially if you want big epic fantasy stuff like LOTR and GOT, since due to the cost of effects and what not, most fantasy is of the urban variety.   That being said, if you're okay with cartoons then Avatar: The Last Airbender is a must-watch.     Also Xena's apparently pretty good for a 90s action show but I've never seen it so I can't speak for the quality.

Anime actually might be your best choice for fantasy to watch.   Berserk, Attack On Titan, pretty much anything by Miyazaki and Claymore are all good choices.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
In terms of TV shows I quite like Grimm. It's sort of urban fantasy. It started off slow, but did get better as it went along. Films improved as the technology got better, but I'd second any of the ones JonRock mentioned.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline CptNemo

Season 1 of Vikings was pretty good. Arguably not fantasy, but it has GoT vibes. You might like it.

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
The first Conan the Barbarian film with Conan is great. Subsequent sequels, reboots and spin offs not so.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
Also, you have Pan's Labyrinth, the movie by Guillermo del Toro. An absolute masterpiece (metascore of 98/100, if you mind that stuff.)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Also, you have Pan's Labyrinth, the movie by Guillermo del Toro. An absolute masterpiece (metascore of 98/100, if you mind that stuff.)

Oh yeah ... that's amazeballs.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures (a film he did pre LotR about an actual incident in NZ) is an interesting and scary mix of fantasy and reality. There were pointers even back then that Jackson would go onto great things.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline CheshireGrin

Everyone else nailed it by listing a lot of really good fantasy movies, but I would also add Ridley Scott's "Legend" to the list. The costumes and makeup in it are gorgeous, and Tim Curry is unrecognizable as Darkness.
Another film I've always liked is "The Company of Wolves". It's sort of a strange blend of fantasy and horror. It has a very dream-like quality to it, and I really think it is one of those movies people tend to really enjoy, or are left thinking "What did I just watch?" lol I personally really enjoy it, but I can honestly see where people would think it's just weird. :P

Offline ladygreen

Oh yeah ... that's amazeballs.

Hands down, one of my absolute FAVORITE movies.  Gorgeous story, visuals and characters.  In fact...think I'll go watch it right now...it's been awhile.

Offline Wizard Police

You might want to go to some anime for good fantasy series.

The Twelve Kingdoms: It's an anime based on a novel series in Japan. If the novels were originally released in America I swear they'd be The Hunger Games/Divergent level of popularity. I haven't read the books myself but the anime is so damn good, just rich with characters and story. The world is as unique as any fantasy setting I've ever seen, yet is familiar enough to novices of the genre.

Berserk: Has a Game of Thrones like feel where everything is grim and hopeless. There's nothing feel good about this show at all, just violence and mayhem at every turn. It's said to be, in Japan at least, the forefather of grim and dark fantasy.

Claymore: This anime is the first to make me realize that you don't need a plethora of different races and magic systems to create a fantasy world with a unique feel to it. It's similar to The Demon Cycle series where it takes one very simple concept and creates an entire world out of it.

Attack on Titan: Everything I said about Claymore, Attack on Titan does it twice as better. It's as if you took the desolation of Game of Thrones and infused it with The Demon Cycle. There hasn't been a single show, not even Game of Thrones, that had me second guessing on what could possibly happen next. On top of that it's just soooooo good.