September 23, 2019, 12:08:24 AM

Author Topic: Anime Favorites  (Read 1536 times)

Offline cupiscent

Re: Anime Favorites
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 04:19:36 AM »
I'm just the opposite. I believe anime can cross the line that is difficult to do with real people. For example, Attack on Titan.  It's something that I can't believe be done to a similar level with real life.

Anime provides opportunity for creativity not possible with real people.

This. Pretty much why some anime live action adaptations (Attack on Titan live action, for one) failed as well, because some materials just can't be translated well enough into another medium. The Attack on Titan live action was just way too gory, for one.

Oh, I absolutely agree that anime and animation provide opportunity to deliver content that is too difficult / expensive / otherwise unwieldy to do in live-action. My problem is that I have trouble gleaning emotion from animated faces, so all the whizbang action in the world leaves me cold because I have no emotional context from the characters. (Context that is provided by micro/regular expression on live-action actor faces.) This is entirely a me-problem!

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 06:45:00 AM »
What about the first 10 minutes in Up by Pixar  @cupiscent  I found that emotional.

I’ve never watched any Anime/Manga myself.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 06:48:59 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline isos81

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 07:24:41 AM »
What about the first 10 minutes in Up by Pixar  @cupiscent  I found that emotional.

Wall-E was emotional, too :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 01:05:51 PM »
Don't want to come across as pedantic, but anime and animated are different. Anime is very Japanese and related to the manga subculture. Animation is just a style of making Movies/TV. I wouldn't call Wall-E, Incredibles ets as anime.

Having said that Wall-E is just amazing. The first Incredibles, Toy Story....it has its classics. I nearly cried at ending if You Story 3.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 03:33:51 PM »

That 10 minutes crushed me. Totally. Like a pile of rubble under a giant's heel.

And agreed with @Bender anime are pretty much exclusively the big-eye Japanese art style guys, animations (Pixar, Disney, American Graphic novels, etc.) are totally different. 

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 04:41:51 PM »
Yes I know anime is different to Pixar. I never said it was. I’m sorry if I offended anyone and derailed the thread.

Hopefully this topic gets back on track.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 04:49:24 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Bender

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 06:56:40 PM »
Offended? I feel offended that you thought someone might be offended. Grrr!

Anyway this can be thread for both. I enjoy discussing and watching both.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2019, 07:21:05 PM »
Last summer Film4 (a TV channel) showed all Ghibli movies, and I really enjoyed a bunch of them - otherwise anime isn't really for me.

I've watched a few animation films without children and I was surprised to really like Inside Out and Despicable Me ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline isos81

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2019, 08:07:53 PM »
I used to watch animes but I like the Mangas more. I hate fillers :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Yora

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2019, 03:08:33 PM »
My favorites are clearly the two Ghost in the Shell movies and the two seasons of Stand Alone Complex. They are among my favorite fiction things ever. That stuff has a transcendental thing going on for me.

Princess Mononoke is also an obvious one. While not of the same caliber, I also really like Seirei no Moribito and Mushishi a lot.
And while it's rough and clunky like nobody's business, Record of Lodoss War has that early to mid 90's fantasy style that I really love.

Offline Bender

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2019, 04:00:53 PM »
https://youtu.be/fLaBzPPF4cU

Ballad of Fallen Angels

Amazing!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2019, 11:38:15 PM »
https://youtu.be/fLaBzPPF4cU

Ballad of Fallen Angels

Amazing!

God, I love Cowboy Bebop
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com