May 23, 2018, 11:58:18 AM

Author Topic: Altered Carbon Netflix UK 2/2/18  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Not Lu

Re: Altered Carbon Netflix UK 2/2/18
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 11:52:43 PM »
I'm enjoying the Altered Carbon, but others I know can't stand it. Looks like it's a love it or hate it type series.

I would not call it love/hate. It's certainly too strong a word for me. I find it meh. It could have been better but it mixes its good ideas (surely due to the original book) with such old and worn cliches that can be seen in every other average/bad series, that it just ends up being bland and not really worth my time.
It's nowhere near as good as Stranger Things or Wesworld. Not as bad as the latest failed attempt at Star Trek. But I'm not bothered to go on after episode 5. I'm not even curious about the whodunnit. There is no tension there.  :-\

Yeah, love/hate is probably too strong. I watched the first episode with a couple of friends. I liked it, but they said, "I'll give it one more episode." After episode 2 they pretty much said what you did. "Meh. That's enough for me."

Offline Rostum

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »
Watched it through and as a stand alone it works. The book is in my TBR because my previous copy was read to death (I had help from a known book vandal) and I think the book is far superior.

I didn't like the Katana fights. I wince at those in everything, blade on blade is European style not Japanese. I loath the 'it's OK for cops to do bad things', Hollywood approach to everything. Ortega murdering the ghost walker in front of the entire police department and her boss is a new low from the morally dysfunctional. Felt there was a lot of gratuitous nudity in true HBO style not needed mostly not erotic or relevant to the story. Likewise the sex scene was soft focus awful either cut away or don't, that didn't work at all. The clone fight I thought was pretty meh, why waste your clones when she could have sleeved into the little girl in the first place? Dichan Lachman looked amazing though. Even 20 years ago doing full nude would have ended her career.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:18:20 PM by Rostum »

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Builder
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 06:56:18 PM »
I enjoyed it a lot at the start but I felt it deteriorated slowly, then quickly. The last two episodes just felt cliché and most of the setup felt like it was wasted. I get why they made some of the changes to the story, but as a result I felt they had to rely on revealing things we had no chance of guessing to seem clever. And that's not how I remember experiencing the book, at all.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 09:30:02 PM »
TBH by the time I stopped I had seen the rich dick being such an arrogant rich dick, I had zero curiosity as to "who-dunnit". Seeing the MC float from revelatory incident to women's bed to other incidents till he finally stumbles upon the truth held no interest.
I think the premise of "find out who killed my last body while I go on living" is a difficult one, and while the book may have handled it well (I've not read it), for me the show totally botched it.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 04:00:43 AM »
I've just finished Altered Carbon and absolutely loved it! I'm with tebakutis on this one, I love the Envoy abilities that Korvac have, his wkse ass comments, and his story as a whole. Overtime I've alao grown to love most of the characters; Ortega and her family, Poe, Ortega's cop friend, Iliad, Quell, etc... The cinematography is absolutely stunning, being even better than some major films I've watched lately. I love the futuristic city, complete with its own socio-economic issues, religious dilemmas, and ethical and moral ambiguities. The actioj scenes came often and were splendid as well.  8) Can't wait for season  2!

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Builder
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 07:33:14 AM »
Nora, the book is very different from the series. The story has more meat and some events have been completely altered in the show. I enjoyed the show well enough, but I felt it failed to tie up into a proper story; it was more like a long exhibition of ideas and concepts that had no proper conclusion. That isn't what the book is like. I'd tell you more, but the fact is that it's entirely possible to spoil the book for someone who has only seen the TV show...
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces