August 05, 2020, 05:27:07 PM

Author Topic: Agent Carter is Awesome  (Read 10344 times)

Offline Ender

Agent Carter is Awesome
« on: February 09, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
I finally got around to watching the 5 episodes that have aired so far, and this is one of the most enjoyable beginnings of a show that I have seen in a pretty long time.  Like anything else, it may not be for everyone, but I really think that a lot of people who give it a chance and watch the first 5 episodes will really be pleasantly surprised to find out how much they like the show; I know that i certainly am liking it way more than I expected.  I cannot think of anything about the show that I dislike.  Great casting, acting, directing, music, writing, and production.  Can't wait for the next episode to air on Tuesday.  If you haven't had the chance to check it out, it's readily available to stream online both on hulu and ABC.  I invite you all to give it a try as the show is not doing as well in the ratings as ABC would like and is in real danger of being cancelled after an 8 episode run.  This could be the worse premature cancellation since Firefly.  Seriously.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Agent Carter is Awesome
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 12:38:06 PM »
I finally got around to watching the 5 episodes that have aired so far, and this is one of the most enjoyable beginnings of a show that I have seen in a pretty long time.  Like anything else, it may not be for everyone, but I really think that a lot of people who give it a chance and watch the first 5 episodes will really be pleasantly surprised to find out how much they like the show; I know that i certainly am liking it way more than I expected.  I cannot think of anything about the show that I dislike.  Great casting, acting, directing, music, writing, and production.  Can't wait for the next episode to air on Tuesday.  If you haven't had the chance to check it out, it's readily available to stream online both on hulu and ABC.  I invite you all to give it a try as the show is not doing as well in the ratings as ABC would like and is in real danger of being cancelled after an 8 episode run.  This could be the worse premature cancellation since Firefly.  Seriously.
I completely agree.  It's a super series; immediately engaging; great characters.  Cancellation would be very disappointing.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:55:23 PM »
I do want to see this (naturally no network here will screen it, but eventually I'll wind up seeing it on DVD or something), from what I've heard about it, it may become another Firefly. Fans and critics love it, but not enough people watch it (somehow Under the Dome got two full seasons and this can't get more than one half season's worth of episodes), and the network doesn't understand it, so they cancel it prematurely. I did see a wonderful notion on Tor.com wanting a fanfic of Peggy Carter and Felicity Smoak from Arrow working together. Considering that they're from different fictional universes and times this would be rather difficult, but it would be worth writing and then producing for no other reason than to see Hayley Attwell and the wonderful Emily Betts Rickards acting together.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Ender

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 07:37:51 AM »
For the first time in my life, and I never thought I'd say this, I wish I knew Justin Bieber.  We, the fans of the show, have been social media-ing about the show in an effort to get people to watch it in these last few weeks to see if all the support and a ratings hike could help ABC make the right decision and renew it for at least 8 more episodes, but I don't know if our social media efforts are going to be enough in the next 3 (2 really) weeks.  We need someone, or a few someones, with the social media influence of a Bieber to say "the show is really good, check it out!".  I even tried tweeting at Patrick Rothfuss to see if he could check out the show and get involved if he feels it's something he would like to help and do.  Being a big Firefly fan, I thought he might be sympathetic our cause here, or even like the show enough to take up the cause himself.  We'll see what happens, but the show really deserves a renewal.  It's just too good to be cancelled before enough people have a chance to watch it.  Unlike in the Firefly days, social media really gives the fans an opportunity to help the show find it's audience.  So that's what we're trying to do.  I'm pretty sure there is a big enough audience out there for the show, I just don't know if we have enough time.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:41:18 AM by Ender »

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 11:54:03 PM »
For the first time in my life, and I never thought I'd say this, I wish I knew Justin Bieber.  We, the fans of the show, have been social media-ing about the show in an effort to get people to watch it in these last few weeks to see if all the support and a ratings hike could help ABC make the right decision and renew it for at least 8 more episodes, but I don't know if our social media efforts are going to be enough in the next 3 (2 really) weeks.  We need someone, or a few someones, with the social media influence of a Bieber to say "the show is really good, check it out!".  I even tried tweeting at Patrick Rothfuss to see if he could check out the show and get involved if he feels it's something he would like to help and do.  Being a big Firefly fan, I thought he might be sympathetic our cause here, or even like the show enough to take up the cause himself.  We'll see what happens, but the show really deserves a renewal.  It's just too good to be cancelled before enough people have a chance to watch it.  Unlike in the Firefly days, social media really gives the fans an opportunity to help the show find it's audience.  So that's what we're trying to do.  I'm pretty sure there is a big enough audience out there for the show, I just don't know if we have enough time.
Tor.com keep talking it up. If the power Marvel has behind it can't make this work in terms of getting people to watch it, nothing can. Unfortunately it's a sad reality of TV these days that good shows get cancelled.

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 12:25:46 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much. The ratings are far from being terrible and, unlike Firefly, Agent Carter has the powerhouse of Marvel backing it. ABC may renew it just to keep in their good graces. And even if they don't, I could easily see the series being transferred to Netflix where Marvel are doing Daredevil and their other Defenders series.

Putting it bluntly, if Marvel wants to do another series, I think another series will probably happen. The only danger is that 'if'. It looks like this whole Howard Stark plot is probably going to be resolved in these 8 episodes and they may not have another strong idea for Season 2 that is worth the hassle. I hope they do though. Peggy Carter is one of my favourite MCU characters and Haley Atwell and James D'Arcy have fantastic chemistry.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 12:53:58 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much. The ratings are far from being terrible and, unlike Firefly, Agent Carter has the powerhouse of Marvel backing it. ABC may renew it just to keep in their good graces. And even if they don't, I could easily see the series being transferred to Netflix where Marvel are doing Daredevil and their other Defenders series.

Putting it bluntly, if Marvel wants to do another series, I think another series will probably happen. The only danger is that 'if'. It looks like this whole Howard Stark plot is probably going to be resolved in these 8 episodes and they may not have another strong idea for Season 2 that is worth the hassle. I hope they do though. Peggy Carter is one of my favourite MCU characters and Haley Atwell and James D'Arcy have fantastic chemistry.
I think you're right. If Marvel want to do another series, then they'll do one. They have that sort of pull and power.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 04:12:27 AM »
Finally watched the last two episodes tonight. Such a fun show.
Totally weird, though, that I also saw Kingsman today, which had exactly the same evil threat of
Spoiler for Hiden:
madness gas
. And didn't I see that in one of the recent Batman movies?
Made it all a teeny bit of a letdown. But, what a good show, all around.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 04:45:35 AM »
If anyone liked the show I'd advise watching the Agent Carter one-shot short that Marvel did. It's probably on the 'net somewhere, but it's also on the blu-ray of Iron Man 3.

Offline RussetDivinity

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 05:19:23 AM »
I completely fell in love with this show from the start, and if I have the time (between rewatching Firefly and finally finishing Battlestar Galactica) I might just end up watching it again. I think my favorite part was how layered the secondary characters were. It would have been so easy to have Jarvis, Stark, and Thompson be flat, static characters, but each one developed over the series, short as it was. Stark, of course, got the most development (to the point where I was nearly crying in the final episode), but Jarvis also developed wonderfully. Thompson's, though, was my favorite, because he managed to develop without losing the fact that he's pretty much the worst. It feels like it happens all too often that an unsympathetic character gets a bit of depth and then promptly loses a lot of what makes them unsympathetic, but that didn't happen this time, and I was thrilled by that.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 11:29:22 AM »
I completely fell in love with this show from the start, and if I have the time (between rewatching Firefly and finally finishing Battlestar Galactica) I might just end up watching it again. I think my favorite part was how layered the secondary characters were. It would have been so easy to have Jarvis, Stark, and Thompson be flat, static characters, but each one developed over the series, short as it was. Stark, of course, got the most development (to the point where I was nearly crying in the final episode), but Jarvis also developed wonderfully. Thompson's, though, was my favorite, because he managed to develop without losing the fact that he's pretty much the worst. It feels like it happens all too often that an unsympathetic character gets a bit of depth and then promptly loses a lot of what makes them unsympathetic, but that didn't happen this time, and I was thrilled by that.
^Yes, that!
Happens all the time in series TV. A show I barely watch, but CSI always rounds off the oddball edges of characters who stay on the show a long time to the point they're dull as dishwater. As in, like all of us.  ;) ;D
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Timothy L. Cerepaka

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 05:47:02 PM »
Agent Carter really was a great show. I think part of what made it great was because they had so few episodes to tell the story, so they didn't have time to wander off into meaningless or useless subplots or anything like that.

It would be really cool if they could do another season, but I think one season is good enough for now.
Visit my website: Timothy L. Cerepaka
Subscribe to my mailing list: Newsletter

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 10:53:05 PM »
Never managed to catch this show but see its been renewed for a second season.
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 10:55:35 PM »
Fox UK have finally picked this up and its airing in July.
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.