July 10, 2020, 08:17:17 AM

Author Topic: 2017 Films and Series we watched  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
2017 Films and Series we watched
« on: January 02, 2017, 02:30:47 PM »
So, here is an experimental thing I'm putting out there on the off chance that others might be interested.

You know how, using GoodReads, we get that cool 'Year X in books' at the end of the year, allowing you to refresh your memories, see which ones stayed with you, which ones were clearly forgettable, which were published this year, which weren't, etc...

Well, I've been thinking I need to keep track of which movies and series I watch over the course of this year.
I never take any notes, and get forgetful, or can't tell when I first saw movie X or Z, or which movie was my favourite in the year.

What I propose we do, in order to have easy access to what everyone is watching–or not watching–is a sort of parent thread to 'What are you currently watching' and 'What did you read this month' but applied to movies and series, and all added in one set post, updated as the year progresses, so that we always have an overview of what someone has seen.
In the 'currently watching' thread, things get buried, and only a great memory or long browsing can tell you what someone (or yourself) has seen or reviewed.

Here we would :

• Create one first post, that stands as your main list
  • Write in it which film/series/anime you've watched
  • Potentially add a quick review next to it, or a rating (I think movie discussion should remain in specific threads and the 'currently watching' thread). This here would only be a database.
  • Come back each day/week/month/whatever, to edit your personal post by adding what new movies or series you've watched.

We could keep track of what you DnFed, what you watched again, etc. The main trick is to keep it one post per person, and go discuss and recommend stuff in the 'currently watching' thread when we feel like commenting on other's experience.

So, I'll make mine up first and try to keep editing it the whole year, join me if you feel like it!   ;D
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Films and Series we watched
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 02:36:15 PM »
Alright!  :D

Films :

>January:
x+y. Thought it pretty meh.
Spectral. 3/5, good no brainer, not much beyond that.
Leon, The Professional rewatched it, since I haven't seen it since I was twelve.
Hidden Figures. 10/10 movie.

>February:
Manhunter. 6/10. Not bad but too 80s, and the alternate ending is just nowhere near as good as the original.
Sing - Meh, zero originality, not even in the songs, all famous pop ones and nothing new.

>March:
Logan
Lego Batman Movie

Series :

>January:
[currently watching] - Hannibal S03
Terror in Resonnance 1 season. It's an anime. Beautifully made but weird message.
Sense 8 - Pretty shit. DnFed it by episode 4 or 5, after skipping wildly through the last two
The Strain - the 1st episode and DNF. It's shit fantasy for non fantasy people as far as I'm concerned. Acting was terrible.
Sherlock - Season 4.
The Crown - Two episodes only. Might do more but finding it quite cringy right now.

>February:
North and South - All four hours of it. Same good series, as always.

>March:
Legion

Documentaries :

>January
Arctic Passage (2006) - The Franklin Expedition (HMS Terror and HMS Erebus)
Arctic Passage (2006) - Roald Amundsen
Real Detective - WOW the feels man. Fucking hell e02's detective had all the worst feels...
Audrie and Daisy - meh. A doc that's good in itself, has great points, but also doesn't tackle one of the huge underlying issues in the american culture of drinking, which is at the roots of many of the addressed problems.
Louis Theroux and the Brothel - Self explanatory.

>February
The Danish Solution - On the WWII treatment of jews in Denmark. ((over 95% survived, since danes shipped them over to Sweden))
The Fear of Thirteen
The White Helmets - About the self taught rescuers working in Syria, pulling people out of rubble all day long. Amazing and sad and poignant. Really hard.

Animes :

>January

Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari - season 1 - about a guy taking over his dad's famous country side udon restaurant after discovering a shapeshifting tanuki child living homelessly there. Can't get any more japanese.
(in progress) Youjo Senki - Sadistic salaryman gets reincarnated as a girl in alternative universe in the middle of its second world war alternative. Ah, also she's got enough magic to enroll as a military mage from a stupidly young age, and she gets to own some major ass. Superbly drawn when stuff hits the fan.
Ao no Exorcist - Just the first few episodes.
Mob Psycho 100 - by ONE, the creator of One Punch Man. Fucking brilliant. Loved it to bits, loved the crazy style.
Honobono Log - cute series of 2min long shorts in lives of lovers/families.
Zankyou no Terror - A weird series whose point I hardly grasped. A bit of an underwhelming ending.
Yuri!!! On ICE - very sweet anime about ice skating, filled with homoerotic hints, but probably mostly targeted for the vagina equipped otakus.
Fune wo Amu - the endearing story of a shy man dragged into the project of editing and publishing a dictionary!
Sound, Euphonium - DNF after 6 episodes. Cute, but character development is almost nul, so ultimately boring.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 11:47:34 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 04:02:18 PM »
JMack's 2017 Movies/TV Post:

Okay, @Nora. I'll bite!  ;D
But I'm going to start with the holiday 2016 period, rather than Jan 1, 2017. Especially since JMacksson introduced his mom and me to several series here at the last minute of 2016.

Movies at the cinema:
> Dec 16: Rogue One. 3/4 stars. Imah=gine if you'd never ever seen a Star Wars film and had zero sense for the style of the original trilogy. I bet this would have rocked you.

Movies at home:
> Dec 26: Watched Brooklyn again. 4/4 stars, one of my favorite films of 2015.
> Dec 31: Nausicaa. One of the few Studio Ghibli films I hadn't yet seen. I was really pumped for it, but found it underwhelming and overly didactic. 2.5/4 stars.
> January:
     Kubo & the Two Strings: Lovely animation, great fun with origami, and some fun plot elements. But I was actually a little disappointed. The evil grandfather lost all interest for me when he stopped being subtle and became a huge nasty beast filled with violence. 2.5 stars.
     Studio Ghibli: Only Yesterday: This is a non-fantasy romance/growing up story with truly wonderful animation and an okay plot. As in some of the other Ghibli movies, I get tired of the environmental lecturing. And Dev patel's voice as the organic farmer love interest was distracting. But for Star Wars fans, Daisy Riddly does the MC's voice. I'm glad I watched. 2.5 stars overall, 4 stars animation
     Hell or High Water: American rural crime drama about two brothers holding up banks. Really worthwhile. 3.5 stars
     Marty: Classic movie from 1955, won the Best Picture Oscar. Excellent movie about two lonely people finding each. "Hey, we not such dogs as we think we are are we? I mean, you're not such a dog as you think you are. And I'm an ugly man, but I'm not such a dog, am I?" 3.5 stars

TV series/shows:
> Dec 16:
     >> The OA. 3/4 stars. I read an interesting review that was vastly disappointed by the ending, but I didn't experience it that way.
     >> The Get Down. In progress; saw episode 1 on NYE. Really good. It's based on the early history of rap and hip hop, with a set of fictional characters interacting with Grandmaster Flash, the Cowboy, and other real life figures. Beautifully filmed. 3/4 stars
     >> Good Behavior: Watched about half of the first season. Has the older sister actress from "Downton Abbey" as an American thief/addict who gets tangled (in more ways than one) with a handsome Argentine contract killer. 3/4 stars

> Continuing from 2016:
     >> This is Us. 4/4 stars so far, though I wonder how long they can keep up the quality and freshness. This is the network show Mrs, JMack and I make time for every week.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:50:43 PM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 06:57:43 PM »
hmm, good idea. I'll start from yesterday.

Finished Captain America: Civil War.
Enjoyed it, but I'm not a big avengers fan. Too many characters that I'm not super familiar with. At this point the movies are starting to run together. I don't think I saw Ultron, and seems to me that Tony has made a complete 180 from who he was in the first Iron Man. Spiderman was a positive, surprising since the last reboot was... eh... not so good.

Finished Medici: Masters of Florence
Enjoyed it. Only really liked 1 or 2 characters. Covered quite a few years of time, which made it feel a bit rushed.

DNF Ajin: Demi-Human Season 2.
Was reminded that I didn't much like season 1.

Finished OA
Really enjoyed this. Solid characters, great story. Good narration. I will always enjoy Phyllis.

Finished The Magicians
The characters are constantly shitting all over each other for no reason. 3/10.

Finished It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia Season 11
The characters are constantly shitting all over each other for no reason. 10/10.

Started A Series of Unfortunate Events
Liked the first episode. Bit cheesy, but we'll see how it goes.

Finished The Ranch Season 2
It's probably just feeding off my That 70's show nostalgia, but I really like this show.

Finished Death Note
Great show. Really enjoyed it by the end. Lost some of the tension with
Spoiler for Hiden:
L's Death
but it picked up well by the last few episodes.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:56:04 PM by Justan Henner »

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 09:49:09 AM »
TV Series:
I can't believe the world has to wait until 2018 for Westworld Season 2. Criminy. There. I've vented. Moving on...

Season 2 of The Man in the High Castle Alternate 1950s America setting, with Japan & Germany having won WWII, and a potential conflict between them brewing. This is a slow-burn series emphasizing character and suspense. I really like the moderate pacing and the way the characters are running. Some of the bad have quite good aspects and traits. Likewise, the good guys are pretty gray and in some cases, quite black in their morality.  If you enjoy female leads, this series has a good one - not the flawlessly awesome Mary Jane of some attempts at strong women. More realistic than that imho. Definitely advise a in-sequence approach, and like Westworld, spoilers would ruin 3/4 of the experience. I think this is a Netflix series.

Waiting on Season 2 of The Last Kingdom. Not technically Fantasy, but VERY realistic medieval times, Saxons vs. Vikings, with the lead firmly planted between them. Very true to the books imho (The Saxon Tales), and a lot of very good characters. This series in books is 1st POV, and some of that is lost without the older protag's confidences, but it's just damn good stories about conflict, warfare, religion, and standing astride cultures. Season 1 is on Netflix (originally aired on BBC?)

Movies: I don't pay so I continue to revisit Rogue One and Dr. Strange (very worthwhile - esp. if you're writing about magic).

Documentaries:

The Vikings (BBC? Not the dramatic series, but the actual documentaries, including a two-parter devoted to Viking women (haven't watched it yet, it's in my random queue).
the Mayan Code, and one whose name I forget (Shores of Eternity? Something like that) covering the scientist who devised a way to capture images of supernovae, a prerequisite for determining universe expansion and the Dark Matter that attempts to explain it. Take aways: it's never the guy who SHOULD make the discovery. It's a 12 year old kid or the middle-aged mom working in the archives. Sounds almost like ... a book I know. The Mayan Code is an excellent documentary and very good for a Fantasy writer involved with ancient mysteries, esp. if language and writing are involved.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 10:16:14 PM »
Giving this a bump!

@Jmack, seen any new things you might want to edit in?  ;)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 02:39:33 PM »
Giving this a bump!

@Jmack, seen any new things you might want to edit in?  ;)

Updated now. :-)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com