#1 - Liveship Traders
27 (69.2%)
#32 - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
5 (12.8%)
Abstain from Voting - I'm impatient and want to see the results
7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: August 24, 2015, 04:37:42 AM

Author Topic: FFBB: Favourite Series - Liveship Traders vs Chronicles of Thomas Covenant  (Read 6758 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Bender

I've read Thomas Covenant long time before and can only remember incessant suffering by the protagonist. Don't think I'll read that series again.

AAs for Liveship, I've read most other series by this author except for this. Started a couple of times, but never got me going.

Think TC shades it for me!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline vgunn

Voted for Liveship. Not great in my opinion, but better than Covenant for reasons already mentioned above.

Now if it was Mordant's Need by Donaldson, my vote would be different. Very underrated and overlooked--his best work.

Offline Nino

• Builder
  • Middle Earth is my Father Christmas
    • View Profile
    • Text Sketches
I read both series. Tomas Covenant was of the first fantasy series that I read (apart from LOTR) and I do have a soft spot for the world. With Liveship Traders I have a soft spot for both the world and the characters so i thinkmy vote will go there.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Voted for Liveship. Not great in my opinion, but better than Covenant for reasons already mentioned above.

Now if it was Mordant's Need by Donaldson, my vote would be different. Very underrated and overlooked--his best work.

Yes, a really good series. My daughter much preferred it over Covenant. Like many folks, she couldn't get past the initial crime.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House

Lejays17 says the same thing. Struggled through the Covenant's, but thoroughly enjoyed Mordant's Need.

Offline tomthedoctor

I really enjoyed the Liveship Traders, the world Hobb has created was interesting and the characters had plenty of depth to them (and some ambiguity as well which I liked - Kennet particularly). I've not read the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant but it'd have to go some to beat LT, so I voted for that.

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
The Real Powers That Be