November 16, 2018, 07:00:02 PM

Poll

Who is the best writer?

#12 - Guy Gavriel Kay
#21 - Scott Lynch
Abstain - I'm impatient and want to know the results

Author Topic: FFBB: Best Writer - R32 - Guy Gavriel Kay vs. Scott Lynch  (Read 236 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
FFBB: Best Writer - R32 - Guy Gavriel Kay vs. Scott Lynch
« on: October 16, 2018, 07:05:54 PM »
#12 - Guy Gavriel Kay

VS

#21 - Scott Lynch
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline cupiscent

Re: FFBB: Best Writer - R32 - Guy Gavriel Kay vs. Scott Lynch
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 12:23:49 AM »
OH MY GOD, I feel personally victimised by this face-off in the FIRST ROUND. (especially when there are so many other pairs in this round that I just do not care about one way or the other)

I have to go and claw my own face off in indecision now, be back later...

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 01:59:17 AM »
Lynch here.

Read his trilogy (so far a trilogy) and my first contact with Kay with The Last Light of the Sun wasn't good.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 06:46:26 AM »
I’m with Lanko here , GGK does nothing for me.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 06:48:01 AM »
Kay's stuff is good, but Lynch wrote my favourite work of fiction ever.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 08:05:56 AM »
Even though I haven't read any Kay, I'm still going to vote for Scott because I really loved book 2 and book 1 grew on me.

Sorry, cupiscent, I did a couple of random pairings (site had a 'randomise' button) and I thought this latest one was the best to avoid all the good ones pairing earlier on... I guess I just used my taste :-[
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 11:09:36 PM »
It's all good, ScarletBea! These things happen. :)

And @Lanko, I must say I don't think Last Light of the Sun is Kay's finest outing. I think there's probably still a lot of depth there, and now that I'm in more of a North Sea / old Saxons headspace I'm considering trying it again, but I wasn't very fond of it myself when I first read it. If you wanted to try again, Tigana often gets a lot of accolades, possibly because it's one of his more standard fantasy outings: clearly secondary world, actual magic. (I enjoyed it a lot, it's just not my favourite. My favourites are: Lions of Al-Rassan, A Song for Arbonne, and Under Heaven.)

I think, at the end of the day, I'm going to have to vote for Kay because he just has so much more work, of such high quality, that I have enjoyed so much. I one day hope to say the same of Lynch, but he's not there just yet, purely in quantity rather than quality.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 05:22:28 AM »

And @Lanko, I must say I don't think Last Light of the Sun is Kay's finest outing. I think there's probably still a lot of depth there, and now that I'm in more of a North Sea / old Saxons headspace I'm considering trying it again, but I wasn't very fond of it myself when I first read it. If you wanted to try again, Tigana often gets a lot of accolades, possibly because it's one of his more standard fantasy outings: clearly secondary world, actual magic. (I enjoyed it a lot, it's just not my favourite. My favourites are: Lions of Al-Rassan, A Song for Arbonne, and Under Heaven.)

I think, at the end of the day, I'm going to have to vote for Kay because he just has so much more work, of such high quality, that I have enjoyed so much. I one day hope to say the same of Lynch, but he's not there just yet, purely in quantity rather than quality.
That was the only reason I hesitated in casting a vote for Scott, but he wrote The Lies of Locke Lamora, and I will never ever forget that. On the other hand if he comes up against someone else I think has been able to stretch themselves more as a writer (very few of them seem to have made the cut, though) I'd more than likely vote for them.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 09:06:03 AM »

More people told me this and I put Tigana and Al-Rassan on my TBR since they're so highly rated and talked about.
There was indeed depth in Last Light, and it was clearly well-written, but it really lacked focus or depth, jumping around everywhere.
But I will still try him again sometime.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 04:22:24 AM »
I know am in minority here and it was very hard to choose two vastly different styles of first class writing. Guy Gavriel Kay has had me entranced for a long time and so it is personal taste that gives him my vote. Scott may yet get my vote in a future pairing.
Glad you have Tigana on your TBR, ScarletBea and also recommend The Sarantine Mosaic duo. But if you prefer a long complex epic GGK also wrote The Fionavar Tapestry. Despite the cringe factor of a portal, it was very good indeed and  thoroughly enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 04:23:58 AM by Lady Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic