June 02, 2020, 12:21:43 AM

Author Topic: You’ve come to the last book/tv show in the series and it has a terrible ending!  (Read 857 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
How do you feel?

I was so disappointed with the iron Druid series last book not because the series wrapped up but with how it ended felt like I wasted my time with reading it all. I won’t be touching this author again.

Now I’ve just finished watching season 3 Glitch an Australian tv show  dealing with the afterlife I was invested in the story and characters  and Now I just feel  that I’ve wasted my time  after watching the last episode.

Now I’ve  also finished watching The Good Place which also deals with the afterlife and I felt the last episode  had a far superior ending to Glitch and I would be happy to watch the good place from the beginning again.

You got to love D.I.S.C.O Janet
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 01:27:21 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline isos81

This is the definition of the ending of Game of Thrones. That was possibly the worst ending ever. And after such anticipation, it was utter disappointment.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 03:04:48 PM by isos81 »
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
I don't feel I've wasted my time even if I didn't really like the ending.
After all, I continued watching/reading because I was enjoying myself, not just to get to the end - focus on the journey, not the destination.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Peat

I don't feel I've wasted my time even if I didn't really like the ending.
After all, I continued watching/reading because I was enjoying myself, not just to get to the end - focus on the journey, not the destination.

Disturbingly cheerful and not at all conductive to a good complaint fest as this is, this is how I feel 99% of the time and certainly how I try to feel as it keeps life more fun.

That said, the ending of Game of Thrones is a prime target. The ending of Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare also destroyed all interest I had in the series, although it should be noted that was because the whole book had been feeling increasingly tedious throughout.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
hehe reply might have been different this morning, but I've been out in the sun, in the fields and seeing horses, so I'm feeling much better ;D

Anyway, I said that, but of course it doesn't mean I like all endings: so many have disappointed me... (I'm looking at you, Anthony Ryan and Peter V. Brett, for example)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Thought you were going to say Lost the tv series.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Bender

I was so disappointed with the iron Druid series last book not because the series wrapped up but with how it ended felt like I wasted my time with reading it all. I won’t be touching this author again.

This. From one of my favourite series to a series/author I won't touch again...that last book made a significant impression. It was just beyond bad.

Haven't read the series, but Burning White seems to evoke similar feelings going by comments.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Thought you were going to say Lost the tv series.
I did like the ending of Lost!

Haven't read the series, but Burning White seems to evoke similar feelings going by comments.
Oh yeah, him too, but it wasn't that bad - just not great.

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
Mark Lawrence's endings have never been great, and the Burning White was bad enough that I'm not likely to go near a Brent weeks book for some time, but I've been lucky enough to enjoy most book endings. TV on the other hand . . .

Star Trek: Enterprise
Spoiler for Hiden:
The final episode is all just a holographic simulation

Battlestar Galactica
Spoiler for Hiden:
Having spent four seasons trying to preserve their society, they throw everything away for no decent reason.

The Good Place
Spoiler for Hiden:
I get what they were going for, but the show ends with half the characters essentially getting bored of life and committing suicide.

There's also those shows cancelled without a proper ending, like Dominion and Revolution, but they're essentially unfinished so i don't count them as having ended.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline The Sword in the Tome

It depends entirely on what type of series it is.  If it's mostly made up of self-contained books or episodes — like Piers Anthony's Xanth, or David Gemmell's Drenai series — then I'm okay with the last installment being a stinker.  But if the reader basically can't be satisfied with the series without reading the final book, then yeah . . . The last book needs to be strong.
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline isos81

This. From one of my favourite series to a series/author I won't touch again...that last book made a significant impression. It was just beyond bad.

Burning White was good but not great like Bea said. It could have been great. It seemed like Weeks rushed it a little bit.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Endings are really hard to get right, especially if a lot of people are invested in the story. There will always be a section that the ending simply won't satisfy. One of my most disappointing endings was Xena, but I didn't feel I'd wasted my time watching it, because yeah the ending sucked for me and there were some dud episodes, but overall I enjoyed watching the show, and it's the same for a book series.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline cupiscent

This is the definition of the ending of Game of Thrones. That was possibly the worst ending ever. And after such anticipation, it was utter disappointment.

We only watched this a few weeks back, though I had been thoroughly informed on all the major and disappointing decisions. It was still just depressing, honestly, to see it all delivered so poorly. It was especially noticeable because the actors were all still giving amazing performances, but in so many regards the writers just weren't putting in the effort to set up their pay-offs. The entire thing was so rushed and cheap and shabby it didn't even leave me filled with rage, just... sad and deflated.

Let me be clear: I fundamentally disagree with some of the story points, but mostly my problem is that they did them so badly. They could have done exactly that story, but strong enough to actually stand up for itself, and I would've been annoyed, but it wouldn't have been such an astounding disappointment. I don't know if it's the writers wanting to rush through this to get to their (since cancelled, that's karma for you) Star Wars gig, or their inexperience showing through in the absence of strong, figured-out book canon material to base off, but there are just so many "this makes NO SENSE" moments in that final season.

Offline Rostum

Nobody has mentioned Dr Who yet. Which might as well be at it's last episode. A dire season of which the last episode destroys 57 years of canon. Fans are seething.

Offline isos81

The entire thing was so rushed and cheap and shabby it didn't even leave me filled with rage, just... sad and deflated.

Completely agreed. That's why I said disappointment. After so many wonderful seasons, the show itself didn't deserve this ending at all.