September 18, 2019, 11:20:21 PM

Author Topic: Your Top five books you’ve read in 2018 and the five most unsatisfying  (Read 5407 times)

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Your Top five books you’ve read in 2018 and the five most unsatisfying
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 11:18:11 AM »

Magic's Pawn - my search for quality LGBT fantasy continues; aside from (contrived) cuteness there was nothing here to make me remotely interested in the rest of the books in its shared universe.

@cupiscent was raving about an LGBT book a while ago if I remember correctly.
Doubt it was Magic’s Pawn that’s a Mercedes Lackey Valdemar book that came out in ‘89. I remember quite liking it at the time, but that was over 20 years ago, and it could well have been visited by the ‘suck fairy’ in the intervening years.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 12:07:44 PM »
Magic's Pawn - my search for quality LGBT fantasy continues; aside from (contrived) cuteness there was nothing here to make me remotely interested in the rest of the books in its shared universe.
@Jake Baelish, you might want to check this thread:
http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-book-discussion/list-of-lgbt-characters-in-fantasy-recommended-by-fantasy-faction-members/
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Jake Baelish

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 01:26:39 PM »

It is an old book, I picked it up in a book shop by chance and on realising it had a gay lead felt it worth a go. It reads like it was written by an angsty teen tbh. What Elfy says seem right, had I read it ten or fifteen years ago I might have liked it   :-\

@ScarlettBea thanks for the heads up! Will take a deeper look  :)
Check out my book 'Prince of Fiends' here: http://amzn.eu/4l5M7OO
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »

It is an old book, I picked it up in a book shop by chance and on realising it had a gay lead felt it worth a go. It reads like it was written by an angsty teen tbh. What Elfy says seem right, had I read it ten or fifteen years ago I might have liked it   :-\

It was the Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

Online cupiscent

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 10:04:10 PM »

Well, look, when am I not raving about an LGBT book. :D

I see you've been tipped the master link, @Jake Baelish but if you want to talk more about what specifically might be what you're after, feel free to send me a message and we can chat. (I don't want to say READ MAX GLADSTONE if actually you're after traditional-fantasy-but-gay. Though, I mean, read Max Gladstone. srsly.)

ALSO, relevant to this, author K.A. Doore (who has a lovely book coming out in March featuring a homoromatic asexual assassin protagonist) put together a list of LGBT debut novels coming out next year, many of them spec-fic or adjacent, and there is some EXCITING stuff on there. I am particularly looking forward to Tamsyn Muir's Gideon the Ninth which looks AMAAAAZING. (...where IS our "what are you looking forward to this year?" thread? Have I missed it? Do I have to MAKE it? UGH GUYS.)

Offline Jake Baelish

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 08:27:10 AM »

It was the Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

I just read the blurb on goodreads! Sounds like something I could get into, thanks for the recommendation  :)

@cupiscent traditional fantasy but gay IS what I'm really after. Though by no means exclusively - I really loved the Captive Prince Trilogy by C.S Pascat (especially books 2 and 3), and that is definitely not traditional fantasy  ;D So cheers for the tip to Max Gladstone and the link!
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 09:17:07 AM »
Jake, then I think you'll love the Copper Cat trilogy by Jen Williams :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Jake Baelish

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2019, 07:43:18 AM »

I'm spoilt for choice now. Thanks Scarlet  ;D

Online Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2019, 11:02:55 AM »

I'm spoilt for choice now. Thanks Scarlet  ;D
Just to throw a couple of other recommendations at you to try Tremontaine it’s a series of interconnected stories by multiple authors using Ellen Kushner’s Swordspoint setting, Kushner herself is also a contributing author. @cupiscent and I have gushed about Amberlough and Armistice by Lara Elena Donnelly and you may like them, too.

Online Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2019, 11:11:12 AM »
And I almost forgot A Song for Achilles by Madeline Miller.

Offline dinogenetics

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2019, 02:07:25 PM »
I also read Magic's Pawn last year in my own quest to read LGBT fantasy. Romance was cute (at first), but a lack of an actual story frustrated me. I Googled the rest of the trilogy and am not sad I didn't continue reading.

Not all my picks are fantasy...

2018 Favs
Shades of Magic trilogy (especially A Darker Shade of Magic)
Oathbringer
The Slow Regard of Silent Things
The Outsider
American Pastoral

2018 Duds
Magic's Pawn
Luck in the Shadows
Armada
Sometimes a Great Notion
Ghost Boy

Offline Peat

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2019, 02:16:19 PM »
For what it's worth the next book in the series, Magic's Promise is a far better story and also I think a lot more tied to a gay experience. I actually read it before Magic's Pawn, for which I'm rather thankful as I'm not sure I'd have bothered to read Magic's Promise if I had. Not saying anyone should read it if they disliked the first, but if anyone's on the fence on Lackey, might be worth a gander.

Last book isn't all that. Not Lackey's finest work in general.

Also, everyone should read Max Gladstone. He might just be the best thing about modern fantasy.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2019, 01:21:46 PM »
I keep meaning to go through my 2018 list and figure out what I liked and what I didn't. I might remember to do it one day.

For me, though, the ones that tend to stand out are the ones I really liked and didn't have any expectations going in, like Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel and Sufficiently Advanced Magic by Andrew Rowe. If I just read the next book by an author I already know I like, it doesn't tend to stand out so much.

Offline Jake Baelish

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2019, 04:45:10 AM »

Song of Achilles is an absolutely wonderful read  :)

Thanks for the other suggestions!

Online Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2019, 09:32:31 AM »

Song of Achilles is an absolutely wonderful read  :)

Thanks for the other suggestions!
They’re not traditional, they’re alt history, but Sarah Gailey’s American Hippo duology features LGBT characters.