December 13, 2019, 12:22:25 AM

Author Topic: Young protagonists in adult fantasy  (Read 4374 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Young protagonists in adult fantasy
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 12:19:47 AM »
Surprised nobody has mentioned Prince of Thorns yet. 14 year old psychopath is a pretty adult theme if there ever was one.
Jorg's never 'young' in my mind.
Funnily enough, the other day I was talking about the 2 series, and for me Jalan was/felt much younger than Jorg, despite there being a good 8 years between them.

There's this thing called A Song of Ice and Fire, they made it into a TV show called Game of Thrones, some of you may have heard of it. A number of it's multiple protagonists are quite young. Bran is 7 or so when the series starts, Arya's 9, Sansa is 11, Jon is probably 14 and Dany is 13, I believe.
;D
(and Robb, you forgot Robb! also 14)

I think the main thing with many young protagonists in adult fantasy is that they start young in the beginning of the book/series, but then they grow up. Actually, no. Almost all the examples mentioned here deny that :-[ ::)
Yes, poor Robb does often get forgotten, the only reason I didn't mention him is that he doesn't get a PoV chapter. So therefore I don't see him as one of the books' major protagonists.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Roxxsmom

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 12:55:49 AM »
I was wondering if people could recommend fantasy novels with child/teen protagonists but that are aimed at adults.
I'm a big fan of Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy, so something similar but it doesn't have to be.
Also if anyone has read the Black Magician trilogy, how does the Traitor Spy trilogy compare?

The obvious one is George RR Martin's work. Several of his pov characters are kids or teens, yet it's definitely written for adult readers.

Someone else already mentioned Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. Fitz was a kid at the beginning of the first book, though was past his teens by the end of book 1.

Not really fantasy (historical fiction with a touch of magical realism here and there), but Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom starts with the protagonist as a child.

Kameron Hurley's Mirror empire has two pov characters who are teens, but it's very definitely an adult novel.

Jay Lake's Green. The protagonist is a child or teen for much of the story, but again, it's for adults.

Glenda Larke's Stormlords books. The protagonists start out as children and age into their teens, and finally adulthood.

Many of Mercedes Lackey's books have YA protagonists. Some age as the stories progress, while others of her novels stick with them being teens, but while they certainly appealed to many younger readers, they weren't marketed specifically as YA fantasy (contrast this with her more recent Collegium chronicles which seem to be aimed specifically at younger readers).

Lynn Flewelling's Tamir Triad. Tobin/Tamir is a child/teen but it's written for adults.

Jane Lindskjold's Wolf series. I read it a while back, but the protagonist, Firestarter, is a teen at the beginning at least.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 02:23:42 AM »
I think the main thing with many young protagonists in adult fantasy is that they start young in the beginning of the book/series, but then they grow up. Actually, no. Almost all the examples mentioned here deny that :-[ ::)

Peter Pan! The french comic by Loisel was daaaaaaaaark! And no one gets older!  ;D

"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 04:43:54 AM »
Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books, they tend to be read by YA's now, but they were initially aimed at adults. The Vanyel series in particular has a teenaged protagonist, although he ages as the books progress. It was one of the first book's I can remember reading that feature a gay protagonist, too.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 06:16:26 AM »
Surprised nobody has mentioned Prince of Thorns yet. 14 year old psychopath is a pretty adult theme if there ever was one.
Jorg's never 'young' in my mind.
Funnily enough, the other day I was talking about the 2 series, and for me Jalan was/felt much younger than Jorg, despite there being a good 8 years between them.

There's this thing called A Song of Ice and Fire, they made it into a TV show called Game of Thrones, some of you may have heard of it. A number of it's multiple protagonists are quite young. Bran is 7 or so when the series starts, Arya's 9, Sansa is 11, Jon is probably 14 and Dany is 13, I believe.
;D
(and Robb, you forgot Robb! also 14)

Yes, poor Robb does often get forgotten, the only reason I didn't mention him is that he doesn't get a PoV chapter. So therefore I don't see him as one of the books' major protagonists.

You should become a politician Elfy. We all know you forgot Robb, but you give excuses for Australia!

Once you start thinking about it, it is actually quite hard to think of series without young protagonists. Referring back to Hobb, Fitz is very young in the Farseer Trilogy and both our recent book club reads: Wee Free Men and Magicians both feature young protagonists.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline RandomCamel

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 03:01:32 PM »
I love Discworld but I've never read the Tiffany Aching books, how are they?

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 12:20:27 AM »
I love Discworld but I've never read the Tiffany Aching books, how are they?
They're aimed at a younger audience, but like nearly all Pratchett's work they have cross generational appeal. They're really quite fun. You have to love the Nac Mac Feegle. Sort of going down that track, although they're effectively written for a younger audience, Cat Valente's Fairyland books are astonishing. Yes, they're children's fairy stories on one level, but you don't have to look too hard to find the deeper meaning behind a lot of it, and the writing is absolutely extraordinary and leaves me shaking my head at how brilliant Valente is with her word and concept use.