October 15, 2019, 12:35:18 PM

Author Topic: Worst Fantasy Book Cover... Ever?  (Read 117557 times)

Offline Gabriel_North

Re: Worst Fantasy Book Cover... Ever?
« Reply #285 on: November 01, 2013, 05:20:54 PM »
Haha! Clearly there were some publishers in the 70's who really tried to ride the SFF horse for every penny they could get.

Offline Gaie Sebold

« Reply #286 on: February 24, 2014, 10:10:19 PM »
Great, I now have another site I will be forced to waste time on instead of writing!  The horror...

I've been very happy with my own covers so far, but I think I've been lucky - I've heard some horror stories from other authors.
"We're putting a dragon on it."
"But there's no dragon in the boo..."
"Fantasy readers buy stuff with dragons. We're putting a dragon on it.::)
(That was before Broody Cloak Person became mandatory, of course).
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #287 on: February 24, 2014, 10:51:28 PM »
Great, I now have another site I will be forced to waste time on instead of writing!  The horror...

I've been very happy with my own covers so far, but I think I've been lucky - I've heard some horror stories from other authors.
"We're putting a dragon on it."
"But there's no dragon in the boo..."
"Fantasy readers buy stuff with dragons. We're putting a dragon on it.::)
(That was before Broody Cloak Person became mandatory, of course).
At least you didn't have to go through the Headless Woman phase, although that was more for historical romances than anything.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Gaie Sebold

« Reply #288 on: February 24, 2014, 11:03:08 PM »
There was a headless woman phase? In romance? I mean I could get it in horror...

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #289 on: February 24, 2014, 11:10:29 PM »
There was a headless woman phase? In romance? I mean I could get it in horror...
Yeah. Basically they only showed the body from the waist to the neck. No heads. They seem to have gotten over that now. I don't know what it was actually called. Lejays17 likes historicals and we used to look at the covers and laugh and called it 'the headless woman' phase. The other things you mentioned: the person in the hoodie on the cover, no quicker way to get me to pass a book by if I see it on the shelf. On the other hand I love the covers Joey HiFi did for Chuck Wendig's Miriam Black series and I always adored the chaotic Josh Kirby covers for Terry Pratchett's books.

Offline sabrok

« Reply #290 on: February 24, 2014, 11:11:40 PM »
I remember why that Hobbit seems so familiar,  that was the copy the school had us check out and read when the Hobbit was assigned in eighth grade.

And while we're on the subject of bad Tolkien covers

I actually don't mind these covers with the exception of the offensive green on The Two Towers

Offline Francis Knight

« Reply #291 on: February 25, 2014, 10:47:12 AM »

Indeed -- almost as common is/was the headless man (you just see their ripped pecs/abs). A lot of readers don't like to have a preconceived notion of what the hero/heroine look like -- what if the guy looks exactly like the sort of guy you wouldn't go for? A lot of readers like to insert their own imagination into exactly how the guy is hot.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:50:15 AM by Francis Knight »
My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline Overlord

« Reply #292 on: February 25, 2014, 11:21:23 AM »

Indeed -- almost as common is/was the headless man (you just see their ripped pecs/abs). A lot of readers don't like to have a preconceived notion of what the hero/heroine look like -- what if the guy looks exactly like the sort of guy you wouldn't go for? A lot of readers like to insert their own imagination into exactly how the guy is hot.

Oooooh - it ain't over yet, my friends. Look what I was sent (I get sent EVERYTHING to review) just this week:

New York Times bestselling author Jacquelyn Frank continues her scorching and sensual new series set in the world of the Nightwalkers, where an ancient race known as Bodywalkers are the vanguards against the raging forces of darkness.

As a mercenary, Leo Alvarez has signed on for a lot-but he never signed on for his best friend becoming host to the soul of an ancient Egyptian pharaoh. Jackson is now inhabited by a Bodywalker, and Leo is forced to grapple with a realm of supernatural beings far more dangerous than anything he's ever encountered.

But when Jackson is wounded by an attack from a demon god, Leo must team up with another supernatural creature-a Night Angel-to save his friend from utter destruction. With skin as black as midnight, hair as white as snow, and a body of pure perfection, the Night Angel arouses a burning desire in Leo, even as he refuses to be intimidated by her power-or the power of those who would destroy his friend. An unusual alliance is forged, electrified by sexual temptation, and together the two must unite their strengths to bring down a supreme evil.

The cover really, really minimises the SFF doesn't it? But the above blurb matches the above cover.

Also, there was a thread I created discussing an important question I had to the mysterious girl who looks over her shoulder, usually wearing tight pants and holding a weapon:

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-book-discussion/the-hooded-man-the-book-cover-of-20102011/msg3844/#msg3844

"Oh hot girl... why do you look back at us? What have you forgotten? What mysteries can you take us on with your tight pants, your perfect figure and temptress-like eyes... I must pick up your book and find out"
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline hyptonize

« Reply #293 on: February 25, 2014, 12:25:56 PM »

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #294 on: February 25, 2014, 02:39:11 PM »

I can't stop looking at it. Is the blue woman running for the bus?
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline Stars Cascade

• Bridgeburner
  • All Knowledge is worth having
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Worst Fantasy Book Cover... Ever?
« Reply #295 on: February 25, 2014, 04:34:58 PM »

I can't stop looking at it. Is the blue woman running for the bus?

Looks like shes participating in a gymnastics comp on the beam. I expect her to attempt a dismount any second. :s
~ Love as thou Wilt ~

*@stars__cascade*

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #296 on: February 25, 2014, 11:48:52 PM »
Jim Hines had a lot of fun with Captain Vorpatril's Alliance. I can't remember the other two authors who helped him, but I think one was John Scalzi. Jim's take on covers, especially urban fantasy, is well worth looking at for a laugh. He contends that most of the poses are either extremely uncomfortable or anatomically impossible.

Offline hyptonize

« Reply #297 on: February 26, 2014, 10:42:42 AM »
Jim Hines had a lot of fun with Captain Vorpatril's Alliance. I can't remember the other two authors who helped him, but I think one was John Scalzi. Jim's take on covers, especially urban fantasy, is well worth looking at for a laugh. He contends that most of the poses are either extremely uncomfortable or anatomically impossible.
Ahh, yes. I saw some of his pictures while searching for the cover.

Offline Gaie Sebold

« Reply #298 on: April 14, 2014, 10:32:49 PM »
Wow. That 'Worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs' cover - phallic symbolism much?

Offline David Gullen

« Reply #299 on: April 14, 2014, 10:54:52 PM »
So is there a big box of heads somewhere?
(Just askin')