July 15, 2020, 12:55:58 PM

Author Topic: Winds of Winter by George RR Martin  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Winds of Winter by George RR Martin
« on: April 01, 2018, 02:59:52 PM »
Sorry, even I can't carry this one of.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Winds of Winter by George RR Martin
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 04:02:40 PM »
Fool me once...
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Yora

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 09:02:43 PM »
Good thing we all know exactly what we're talking about, so we don't really have to say anything else.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 09:14:25 PM »
err Ok going for both....

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 11:00:53 PM »
Have we all made peace now with just getting a filmed ending not a book ending to this series?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Rostum

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 05:01:44 AM »
Looks like his publisher has given up on Scott
From Amazon

Hello,

We regret to inform you that we have been unable to source the following item:

Lynch, Scott "The Thorn of Emberlain: The Gentleman Bastard Sequence, Book Four"
  http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0575077050

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available.  This item has now been cancelled from your order #026-2108781-5723532 and we can confirm that you have not been charged for it.

We apologise for the length of time it has taken us to reach this conclusion.  Until recently, we had still hoped to obtain this item for you.

You may visit the product detail page(s) above to see if these item(s) are available from other sellers.

To view the current status and the costs associated with your order, please visit Your Account (http://www.amazon.co.uk/your-account).

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 07:58:28 AM »
Have we all made peace now with just getting a filmed ending not a book ending to this series?
Yep.
To be honest, I think even if he published it this year, I wouldn't be in any rush to read it, given how I liked "A Dance with Dragons"...

And Rostum, I think that only means it's not going to be published soon, not 'ever'.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Hedin

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 01:40:09 PM »

Yep the show will be my canon now.  I doubt that I ever read any of the future books unless I hear (from people whose taste opinions match mine) they are absolutely amazing. I did not like the last two at all and the long delay is not giving me any reason to think this one will be different. 

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 05:41:07 PM »

Yep the show will be my canon now.  I doubt that I ever read any of the future books unless I hear (from people whose taste opinions match mine) they are absolutely amazing. I did not like the last two at all and the long delay is not giving me any reason to think this one will be different.

Same. I decided this a couple of years ago. I lack the patience to wait for two (three?) more books, given they seem to come out once every 6 years or more. I'm looking forward to the last season (starts this Sunday, woo!!!) and then, 30 years from now when all the books are finally out, I'll browse the wikipedia to see what Mr. Martin did differently in his books that on the show. But I have no plans to read Winds of Winter or any other books at this point (assuming they even ever come out).

I get the feeling Martin has grown bored with the series, since he has managed to do so much OTHER stuff in the time Winds of Winter hasn't gotten done. And that's fine. I hope he gets to spend his remaining years enjoying his success and doing what inspires him. The show will give me closure on the books.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 03:09:01 AM »

Same. I decided this a couple of years ago. I lack the patience to wait for two (three?) more books, given they seem to come out once every 6 years or more. I'm looking forward to the last season (starts this Sunday, woo!!!) and then, 30 years from now when all the books are finally out, I'll browse the wikipedia to see what Mr. Martin did differently in his books that on the show. But I have no plans to read Winds of Winter or any other books at this point (assuming they even ever come out).

I get the feeling Martin has grown bored with the series, since he has managed to do so much OTHER stuff in the time Winds of Winter hasn't gotten done. And that's fine. I hope he gets to spend his remaining years enjoying his success and doing what inspires him. The show will give me closure on the books.
What’s he done? In terms of writing? I know he’s been linked to a few things and written some short work, but has he published anything resembling a novel? He loves talking about ASoIaF, but he seems to have written himself into a corner he just doesn’t know how to get out of, and it seems that the series will remain unfinished.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 12:26:55 AM »
Dude. Look up fire and blood! It's a huge ass book on the past of the lannisters and such. And he wrote the one about the two knights... And is his Sci-fi one recently published actually? Nightfliers?
Yeah the man is taking a serious sabbatical.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 06:49:32 AM »
Dude. Look up fire and blood! It's a huge ass book on the past of the lannisters and such. And he wrote the one about the two knights... And is his Sci-fi one recently published actually? Nightfliers?
Yeah the man is taking a serious sabbatical.
He wrote Nightflyers in 1980.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 08:31:40 AM »
Woo, Nora is here! (Welcome back!  ;D) I don't think George R. R. Martin will ever finish The Winds of Winter, much less the series. The last two seasons of Game of Thrones I admitted aren't great plot-wise as the earlier seasons based on the books, but I guess that would have to be the one true ending of the story now.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 01:39:17 PM »
Yeah I agree.
I stopped caring à good while back. I had a fun time in Westeros, but just like Doors of Stone, I've made my peace with the inevitable. That it may never come, and if it does it may be crap.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 01:49:33 PM »
Yeah I agree.
I stopped caring à good while back. I had a fun time in Westeros, but just like Doors of Stone, I've made my peace with the inevitable. That it may never come, and if it does it may be crap.
Same here...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!