September 27, 2020, 11:03:24 AM

Author Topic: Who reads short stories?  (Read 7356 times)

Offline DrNefario

Re: Who reads short stories?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2019, 02:26:09 PM »
I mostly enjoy short fiction but it doesn't really fit into my typical reading schedule. I either have to make an extra effort to read them in addition to my main novel - which I did for two-or-three years, recently, attempting to read a short story every day - or I start to resent the lack of control over the pacing.

I read every day. It's nice to be in the middle of something, dipping in and out each time. Short fiction is almost entirely beginnings and endings, and they're harder work.

Also I don't think trad, epic fantasy works as well at shorter lengths. I tend to prefer SF, where you can show off a dazzling idea and get out.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2020, 10:12:27 AM »
Father of lies by K.J Parker is excellent, I think his shorts are better then his novels.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2020, 10:38:54 AM »
What I don’t like is prequel short stories written after or during a trilogy. I rather read a separate story away from the trilogy

Book One
Book Two
A short prequel set before Book one ( I don’t care I know what’s going to happen to the characters afterwards)
Book Three

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2020, 03:15:34 PM »
Who doesn't?

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2020, 03:21:14 PM »
Are short stories popular?

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2020, 03:53:29 PM »
I think I only have 3 books of short stories: the Fantasy Faction anthology, Fight like a girl (Joanne Hall) and The book of angels (A.J. Dalton).

I prefer the big books, and nowadays when I see a "full novel" with less than 300 pages, I wonder what it's missing and/or the writer was lazy ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 03:55:06 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2020, 12:49:21 AM »
Who doesn't?

I don't, mostly. I'll often take a look at the award-nominee stories each year. Mostly I find short fiction just doesn't offer enough payoff for my intellectual investment - if I spend time getting into a story/world/situation, I want a deeper exploration than can be achieved under 10k words. I even tend to find novellas a little thin and frustrating like that, though either I'm getting better at reading them or novellas are getting better in quality, because I've read quite a few in the past couple years that hit perfectly and don't leave me wanting to crack open the story and drag out the good stuff it's missing.

I have a few anthologies that I've acquired through mass acclaim or because I helped fund them, and I... just haven't read them. I'll try, but every time I start a new story, it's like starting a new book, and that stop-start lack of momentum just makes me stall out on reading entirely.

All of this is also why I don't write short fiction. I just don't get it!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2020, 10:01:40 AM »
Who doesn't?

I don't, mostly. I'll often take a look at the award-nominee stories each year. Mostly I find short fiction just doesn't offer enough payoff for my intellectual investment - if I spend time getting into a story/world/situation, I want a deeper exploration than can be achieved under 10k words. I even tend to find novellas a little thin and frustrating like that, though either I'm getting better at reading them or novellas are getting better in quality, because I've read quite a few in the past couple years that hit perfectly and don't leave me wanting to crack open the story and drag out the good stuff it's missing.

I have a few anthologies that I've acquired through mass acclaim or because I helped fund them, and I... just haven't read them. I'll try, but every time I start a new story, it's like starting a new book, and that stop-start lack of momentum just makes me stall out on reading entirely.

All of this is also why I don't write short fiction. I just don't get it!

I only read the things I had written in the magazine anthology that I had submitted my work to, hahah. I don't usually read short stories either, mostly with similar reasons to what cupiscent said above. I write mostly short stories because I usually had only that much idea to work with and hate having to work for months and years on something, hahah.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2020, 04:31:50 PM »
I read a fair few older SF anthologies, mostly second hand. I tend not to read modern short stories unless they're by an author whose longer work I enjoy.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex