November 12, 2019, 01:54:45 AM

Author Topic: Who reads short stories?  (Read 6556 times)

Offline Mark Lawrence

Re: Who reads short stories?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 10:34:09 AM »
I quite enjoy writing them - reading, not so much. It has to be a really excellent short story for me to enjoy reading it. I think Stephen King's short story compilations are the only ones I've ever paid for (never stolen any but read plenty on crit groups etc).

The point about world building is well made & probably my 'efficient' style of fantasy was born in trying to write fantasy short stories where the world building had to be pulled out of the reader with a small number of well targetted lines. The three short stories of mine alluded to up thread are all set in the real world, which means less world-building and more story. Also two of them are horror, which is again easier in short form (hence Stephen King's appeal).

I have just last week written my first ever short story set in an established world with pre-known characters (a Prince of Thorns short story) and found it a difficult enterprise. Normally when I write a short story the characters and settings evolve with the plot to serve the story. If you start with several things fixed and relatively inflexible... it's harder to make a good short story.

Offline Michael Sullivan

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 11:47:59 AM »
I'm not a big short story reader.  I should be as I tend to be a slow reader so that would allow me to get through them more easily, but I like spending time with characters so I tend toward longer works.

I have a HUGE appreciation for people who write short stories as it is (IMHO) a much harder task than writing a novel (my friend who writes short stories disagrees). Because of the limited word count you have to be so much more conscious of brevity.  I've only published two short stories...both of which are "okay" but I think they pale in comparision with my novel work.  If anyone is interested...The Viscount and the Witch is a free short.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 05:19:57 PM »
I don't mind reading short stories but  I don't enjoy prequel short stories or  prequel novels for that matter mostly.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Mark Lawrence

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 07:57:22 PM »
I write them, but shamefully … I never read them.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2019, 08:45:12 PM »
I quite enjoy writing them - reading, not so much. It has to be a really excellent short story for me to enjoy reading it. I think Stephen King's short story compilations are the only ones I've ever paid for (never stolen any but read plenty on crit groups etc).

The point about world building is well made & probably my 'efficient' style of fantasy was born in trying to write fantasy short stories where the world building had to be pulled out of the reader with a small number of well targetted lines. The three short stories of mine alluded to up thread are all set in the real world, which means less world-building and more story. Also two of them are horror, which is again easier in short form (hence Stephen King's appeal).

I have just last week written my first ever short story set in an established world with pre-known characters (a Prince of Thorns short story) and found it a difficult enterprise. Normally when I write a short story the characters and settings evolve with the plot to serve the story. If you start with several things fixed and relatively inflexible... it's harder to make a good short story.

Looks as if you use words more sparingly now in comparison to eight years ago. ;)

I like short stories but besides those from the writing contest I haven't read many in the last years. Next collection on my TBR is Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman (Smoke and Mirrors is my favorite single-author short story collection).
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2019, 08:49:55 PM »
I'm not a big fan, and yes, I only read our contest monthly stories ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 09:00:18 PM »
I read short stories, but generally only in anthologies. Never hunted down individual ones.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2019, 12:57:29 AM »
I much prefer William Faulkner’s short stories vs. his novels.
Just saying.

(Faulkner = important, excellent U.S. southern writer)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2019, 04:59:56 AM »
What do you think they lack?

Length  8)

I love novels because I can go deep into another world—one of the reasons I love fantasy. But I do read them sometimes, and occasionally write them, too.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2019, 07:58:27 AM »

You’ve not read Mark Lawrence shorts stories then?  Or any anthologies Like fight like a girl.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 08:07:44 AM »

You’ve not read Mark Lawrence shorts stories then?  Or any anthologies Like fight like a girl.
I said I wasn't a big fan, not that I hadn't read them :P
Yes, I read those you mention: Bound, Road Brothers, Fight like a Girl and the Fantasy-Faction anthology ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 02:25:14 PM »
I love short stories

Offline Brand J Alexander

• Shadow Op
  • Weaving the magic of words into worlds of wonder.
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Author Brand J. Alexander
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 04:35:16 PM »
I enjoy short stories depending on my mood. Trying something myself with them. I'm writing a much larger story through a series of short stories that take place throughout a characters life. Each can stand alone, but all add up to a bigger tale.
Explore the Universe of Brand J. Alexander
https://brandjalexander.wixsite.com/website

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2019, 11:38:38 PM »
Short stories are such a staple of the Science Fiction and Fantasy genre. I can't think of any other genre where they are done so well. Historically Science Fiction and Fantasy writers got their break selling short stories to monthly titles. A quick google or a more knowledgeable (or older) member I am sure can bring up the names of a few of those magazines/ anthologies.  Even now there are several anthologies published a year. George RR Martin is one of many famous compilers (along with Silverberg and Dazois). Many sci fi and fantasy writers will at some point in their career put out a collection of their short stories (Joe Abercrombie did in the last few years and Neil Gaiman has 3 very good collections. If you are a fan of the genre and not reading short stories I do honestly feel you are missing out a bit.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Jake Baelish

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2019, 01:37:22 AM »

Looks as if you use words more sparingly now in comparison to eight years ago. ;)

I like short stories but besides those from the writing contest I haven't read many in the last years. Next collection on my TBR is Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman (Smoke and Mirrors is my favorite single-author short story collection).

You're in for a treat! I read all Gaiman's short story collections for the first time last year and Trigger Warning was by far my favourite of them  :)

King is probably the best at it though imo.

That said, didn't know Mark Lawrence had written any, so will definitely be giving them a look!
Check out my book 'Prince of Fiends' here: http://amzn.eu/4l5M7OO
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...