July 04, 2020, 12:04:51 AM

Author Topic: Who makes you want a book?  (Read 3961 times)

Offline Kitvaria Sarene

Re: Who makes you want a book?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 10:31:54 PM »
Especially in fantasy other fans make me want a book. People who are as passionate about it as I am - I don't care if it's a bookseller, reader or author. When they can talk to me about my favorite books/authors and have a similar taste, I will look up and often buy their recommendations. (I am a bookseller to ;) And I often buy books recommended to me by my customers... Those are the best of days for me, when I get to recommend through half the fantasy shelves! And we both leave with new reading material!)

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 10:52:41 PM »
I just thought of something.
I take book recommendations from friends who read less more seriously than I do from the ones who read a lot.
For example, I have three friends who sometimes go through 3 or 4 books a week. They laugh at me for putting down a book when I get bored, because they read fast enough that they can breeze through it. If it's someone who reads around the same amount of books as I do, I'm more likely to pay attention. They tend to have less to recommend, and can easily tell me one or two series they think are awesome.

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 11:06:04 PM »
I just thought of something.
I take book recommendations from friends who read less more seriously than I do from the ones who read a lot.
For example, I have three friends who sometimes go through 3 or 4 books a week. They laugh at me for putting down a book when I get bored, because they read fast enough that they can breeze through it. If it's someone who reads around the same amount of books as I do, I'm more likely to pay attention. They tend to have less to recommend, and can easily tell me one or two series they think are awesome.

I can see the logic. A friend who rarely reads making it through a book is impressive and would make me want to check that book out. 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 01:47:25 PM »
On the other hand, they don't have much to compare it to.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 07:57:07 PM »
On the other hand, they don't have much to compare it to.
Exactly.
"You have to read this super awesome book! A guy is an orphan and he finds a sword! And it is full of magic! And suddenly he is a super good fighter!"
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 08:19:18 PM »
Right. That person wouldn't be reading near the same amount of books as me. Like I said in my example, the amount of books we read has to be close in order for me to take a recommendation seriously.
A person who has read a lot more books than I will not find something as fascinating as I do. A person who barely reads any books will find too much fascinating. If it's right around my level, then I understand where they're coming from.
I hope that makes more sense.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 09:27:23 PM »
Oh, I think we all thought you meant recommendations from people who read less than you.
Now it makes sense, yes :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!