July 10, 2020, 01:43:32 PM

Author Topic: Who Inspired You?  (Read 12830 times)

Offline CatWinchester

Re: Who Inspired You?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »

I did my fair share of Buffy over the years too! ;D This fanfic wouldn't be about Budapest, would it?

Do we have the same plot bunny?

No, but that line did stand out as a story that needed to be told (to me anyway). Joss Wheedon seems to do that a lot, giving us seemingly throwaway lines that spark the imagination.
Author of urban fantasy and Historical fiction.
My site

Offline Tym

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
I did my fair share of Buffy over the years too!

Buffy for the win. I read one buffy story where she got transported to middle earth, which turned...odd.

Offline rjshirts

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 03:04:26 PM »
David Eddings and Lloyd Alexander.  My parents gave me those books when I was in 3rd grade and I've never looked back since. 

Offline nerinedorman

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 03:18:13 PM »
I cut my teeth on Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern novels, as well as JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. The latter I spent my summer vacations reading, much to my mother's despair (she wanted "that ghostly child" to get a tan!)

Offline Kyndylan

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2012, 03:19:23 PM »
Hmm, let's see. My gut reaction would be Tolkien, Terry Brooks and David Eddings, in that order, between the ages of nine and fourteen or so.

The more I think about it, however, the less sure I am. I grew up abroad and we came back to the UK when I was 12, so I have at least one clear dividing line. Brooks and Eddings would both fall after that, while I'd have to add the works of Stephen Lawhead and J K Rowling to the period prior. Brian Jacques is also there or thereabouts.

No doubt there were also many others (Alan Garner, Susan Cooper, John Masefield spring to mind).

But hey, if you want just one, it'll have to be good old Ronald Reuel, with a notable mention of (on reflection) Stephen Lawhead.

Offline MichaelaG

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2012, 04:08:01 PM »
Honestly, I can't remember the name or title - I've blocked it from my memory.   :P  But I was big into swords and horses fantasy as a kid and then a young married mother, and I eventually read a book that was so utterly, painfully awful that I literally hurled it across the room and declared, "I can write better than that!"

My husband looked up from his computer and said, "So why don't you?"

It took me several years to get up the courage, but I eventually did. 

Hey, negative inspiration is still inspiration, right?   ;D

If you want positive influences, Patricia Briggs, Kevin Hearne and Faith Hunter are all fun reads and make me feel like I might actually have a shot at making this writing thing work for me.   :)

Offline ganstream1

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2012, 04:17:21 PM »
Brent Weeks inspired me to write Fantasy but Matthew Reilly (not a fantasy writer) inspired me to start writing. Tolkien inspired me to read Fantasy.

Offline darthqu3

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2012, 05:54:17 PM »
One word. GOT, or more commonly known as Game of Thrones. Now that, is a good book for writers, readers or anyone else who cares to pick it up.

Offline Uncle Bomber

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2012, 06:11:16 PM »
I came to reading for enjoyment late. The first book i remember enjoying was Goldern Torque by Julian may. Followed by Darkwalker on Moonshae by Douglas Niles. Guess which one I enjoyed the most.

Offline WordTipping

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2012, 10:13:41 PM »
I had a few books that interested me all about the same time when I was younger.  The short list being: The Sword of Shannara, Integral Trees, Ender's Game and Conan both comics & books.  Up to that point I had mainly read non-fiction.  Conan I started reading because of the lurid covers.  The rest I found while trying to find more Conan books at a book fair held at my grade school.  From that point on, it was downhill or uphill depending on your view.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2012, 12:34:12 AM »

I did my fair share of Buffy over the years too! ;D This fanfic wouldn't be about Budapest, would it?

Do we have the same plot bunny?

No, but that line did stand out as a story that needed to be told (to me anyway). Joss Wheedon seems to do that a lot, giving us seemingly throwaway lines that spark the imagination.

Obviously our thoughts run along the same lines. In fact I think it was something similar that fired me to write the Buffy fanfic.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2012, 02:12:36 AM »
Oh, so very many, but the first I remember was seeing, as a very small child, the Disney version of The Sword and the Stone, which led me to TH White, which led me to Lloyd Alexander, which led me to Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave. But I'm sure there were others inbetween...and many since.
"Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Offline M.S. Verish

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2012, 05:30:13 PM »
(From Matt)

Aside from my wife Stefanie, who is my greatest inspiration, I would have to say:

Patrick Rothfuss
G.R.R.M.
J.R.R. Tolkien
Terry Goodkind
Stephen King
and Brandon Sanderson was just added to my list.  :D

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2012, 12:31:36 AM »
(From Matt)

Aside from my wife Stefanie, who is my greatest inspiration, I would have to say:

Patrick Rothfuss
G.R.R.M.
J.R.R. Tolkien
Terry Goodkind
Stephen King
and Brandon Sanderson was just added to my list.  :D
Got another one you can add to your list, Matt. Just judging by the names on that one I'd urge you to give Daniel Abraham's The Dagger and the Coin series a go.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Jeni

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2012, 01:50:21 AM »
My mum.

One of my earliest memories is falling to sleep, watching my mum read - she'd read us a story at bedtime and then sit on the floor of our room, under the window, reading her book by the light of the street lamp outside our house, until we fell asleep. She always had to have a book to read and we'd make the 2 mile trek (ok, 2 miles isn't that far for an adult, but it's never-ending when you are 4!) to the local library every fortnight, come rain or shine.

Thanks mum.  :)