October 31, 2020, 07:41:13 PM

Author Topic: Who has the most disturbing stuff going down in their books?  (Read 11726 times)

Offline Dan D Jones

Re: Who has the most disturbing stuff going down in their books?
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2013, 04:08:54 PM »
Mark Lawrence disturbs a lot of people, but he's an amazing writer. Sam Sykes' fish monsters are pretty disturbing as well.

Agreed.  The idea of rape in real life is appalling but in books it doesn't particularly shock or disturb me.  Perhaps it's just that it's relatively common and I've become somewhat inured to it in fiction.  (I'm still quite disturbed by news stories about the same thing.)

Sykes' fish monsters, on the other hand...
Spoiler for Hiden:
...have been warped and twisted until they not only completely lose their own sense of identity but they celebrate and are thankful for the alteration.  That's about the worst thing I could possibly imagine happening to me.  I'd certainly hate to be raped or tortured but I believe I could go through that and still be fundamentally me.  I'd undoubtedly be affected and changed to some degree, but I'd still prefer that to having everything which makes me who I am ripped out by the roots.  That's disturbing.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2020, 05:15:46 PM »
I'm not sure tbh

There is disturbing in a good, ooohhhhh thta author's mind is really fubared but I like it way

Scott Hawkins, The Library at Mount Char

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline bdcharles

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2020, 09:04:00 PM »
You are a wiser man than I, I was curious enough about the stink (in spite of all his sales) to read it... and I used to finish series I started... he broke me of that!

And interesting on Hobb, makes me curious to read how she handles that based on everything else I've read by her. May have to finally check those out then.

I was not totally sold on Dragon Keeper and never progressed further into the Rain Wilds chronicles; it just dragged far too much for me, and seemed to have little point. Tawny Man and Live Ships were just so much better. To my shame I have yet to read Fitz and the Fool trilogy. I get the sense I am saving up for the  right moment...
Find me on twitter @jd_books

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2020, 12:18:35 AM »
I'm not sure tbh

There is disturbing in a good, ooohhhhh thta author's mind is really fubared but I like it way

Scott Hawkins, The Library at Mount Char

SOLID contender there.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2020, 05:29:25 AM »
I mean, Stephen King wrote Horror. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of f*& up stuffs in there.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2020, 11:06:51 PM »
I mean, Stephen King wrote Horror. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of f*& up stuffs in there.
With King it's not just the horror, there's also references to domestic abuse, which is frankly more disturbing than any horror he can make up, because it's very real.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Peat

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2020, 12:24:56 AM »
Some of the stuff in Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Legacy series falls way out of the whack of modern western morality.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/