October 21, 2020, 08:32:15 AM

Poll

Which popular book on this list should I read?

Steeplejack by  A.J Hartley
0 (0%)
The City Of Lost Fortunes by Bryan Camp
0 (0%)
Reincarnation Blues by Michael Poore
1 (16.7%)
Poison City (Delphic Division #1) by Paul Crilley
0 (0%)
The Devil and the Dark Water by Stuart Turton
5 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Which Novel should I Eclipse read next?  (Read 507 times)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
Which Novel should I Eclipse read next?
« on: August 07, 2020, 05:54:23 PM »
Steeplejack by A.J. Hartley

Spoiler for Hiden:
Seventeen-year-old Anglet Sutonga makes a living repairing the chimneys, towers, and spires of Bar-Selehm. Dramatically different communities live and work alongside one another. The white Feldish command the nation’s higher echelons of society; the native Mahweni are divided between city life and the savannah. And then there’s Ang, part of the Lani community who immigrated there generations ago and now mostly live in poverty on Bar-Selehm’s edges.

When Ang is supposed to meet her new apprentice, Berrit, she finds him dead. That same night the Beacon, an invaluable historical icon, is stolen. The Beacon’s theft commands the headlines, yet no one seems to care about Berrit’s murder—except for Josiah Willinghouse, an enigmatic young politician. When he offers Ang a job investigating the death, she plunges headlong into new and unexpected dangers.

Meanwhile, crowds gather in protests over the city’s mounting troubles. Rumors surrounding the Beacon’s theft grow. More suspicious deaths occur. With no one to help Ang except Josiah’s haughty younger sister, a savvy newspaper girl, and a kindhearted herder, Ang must rely on her intellect and strength to resolve the mysterious link between Berrit and the missing Beacon before the city descends into chaos.

The City Of Lost Fortunes by Bryan Camp

Spoiler for Hiden:
The fate of New Orleans rests in the hands of a wayward grifter in this novel of gods, games, and monsters.

The post–Katrina New Orleans of The City of Lost Fortunes is a place haunted by its history and by the hurricane’s destruction, a place that is hoping to survive the rebuilding of its present long enough to ensure that it has a future. Street magician Jude Dubuisson is likewise burdened by his past and by the consequences of the storm, because he has a secret: the magical ability to find lost things, a gift passed down to him by the father he has never known—a father who just happens to be more than human.

Jude has been lying low since the storm, which caused so many things to be lost that it played havoc with his magic, and he is hiding from his own power, his divine former employer, and a debt owed to the Fortune god of New Orleans. But his six-year retirement ends abruptly when the Fortune god is murdered and Jude is drawn back into the world he tried so desperately to leave behind. A world full of magic, monsters, and miracles. A world where he must find out who is responsible for the Fortune god’s death, uncover the plot that threatens the city’s soul, and discover what his talent for lost things has always been trying to show him: what it means to be his father’s son

Reincarnation Blues by Michael Poore

Spoiler for Hiden:
magically inspiring tale of a man who is reincarnated through many lifetimes so that he can be with his one true love: Death herself.

What if you could live forever—but without your one true love? Reincarnation Blues is the story of a man who has been reincarnated nearly 10,000 times, in search of the secret to immortality so that he can be with his beloved, the incarnation of Death. Neil Gaiman meets Kurt Vonnegut in this darkly whimsical, hilariously profound, and wildly imaginative comedy of the secrets of life and love. Transporting us from ancient India to outer space to Renaissance Italy to the present day, is a journey through time, space, and the human heart

Poison City(Delphic Division #1) by Paul Crilley

Spoiler for Hiden:
The name's Gideon Tau, but everyone just calls me London. I work for the Delphic Division, the occult investigative unit of the South African Police Service. My life revolves around two things - finding out who killed my daughter and imagining what I'm going to do to the bastard when I catch him.

I have two friends. The first is my boss, Armitage, a fifty-something DCI from Yorkshire who looks more like someone's mother than a cop. Don't let that fool you. The second is the dog, my magical spirit guide. He talks, he watches TV all day, and he's a mean drunk.

Life is pretty routine - I solve crimes, I search for my daughter's killer. Wash, rinse, repeat. Until the day I'm called out to the murder of a ramanga - a low-key vampire - basically, the tabloid journalist of the vampire world. It looks like an open and shut case. There's even CCTV footage of the killer.

Except... the face on the CCTV footage? It's the face of the man who killed my daughter. I'm about to face a tough choice. Catch her killer or save the world? I can't do both.

It's not looking good for the world.

Poison City is the first in a fantastical new series for fans of Ben Aaronovitch, Lauren Beukes, Sarah Lotz and Stephen King.

The Devil and the Dark Water by Stuart Turton

Spoiler for Hiden:
A murder on the high seas. A detective duo. A demon who may or may not exist.

It's 1634 and Samuel Pipps, the world's greatest detective, is being transported to Amsterdam to be executed for a crime he may, or may not, have committed. Travelling with him is his loyal bodyguard, Arent Hayes, who is determined to prove his friend innocent.

But no sooner are they out to sea than devilry begins to blight the voyage. A twice-dead leper stalks the decks. Strange symbols appear on the sails. Livestock is slaughtered.

And then three passengers are marked for death, including Samuel.

Could a demon be responsible for their misfortunes?

With Pipps imprisoned, only Arent can solve a mystery that connects every passenger onboard. A mystery that stretches back into their past and now threatens to sink the ship, killing everybody on board.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 05:56:28 PM by eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Which Novel should I Eclipse read next?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 06:20:54 PM »
I don't know any of those, hehe - and they're really not my style, although the last 2 do sound quite interesting 8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Bender

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 08:36:55 PM »
Where do you pick these from, Eclipse? Never heard of any. Unfortunately none of the blurbs really interested me.

I'm always fond of comedies, so I'll recommend Reincarnation Blues. Don't blame me if it turns to be squib.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 09:24:29 PM »
I like to go off the beaten path.... probably from lists

I’m surprised you’ve not heard of Stuart Turton through with the Seven and half deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 12:09:37 AM »
Steeplejack has been on my want-to-read list for ages but I'm flummoxed about how to get hold of it in Australia without buying/importing it, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on it to know whether I should just take the gamble and make a purchase. BUT I am also really curious about what Stuart Turton does after the magnificent Evelyn Hardcastle, so that one has my vote.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 09:32:03 AM »
I haven't heard of any of these, but The Devil and the Dark Water does have an interesting name and blurb. Go for it. *thumbs up*

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Ambient Mage
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 01:18:14 PM »
I voted purely on the blurbs because I don't know any of these. The one about reincarnation sounds like a really good concept -- though  I'm wary of comparisons. I find that books that claim to be like this and that famous writer never live up to the claim.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 01:30:41 AM »
I’m not familiar with any of them. The only one that really piqued my interest was Reincarnation Blues, probably because it reminded me in a peripheral level of Ken Grimwood’s Replay with which it shares a theme.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Ned Marcus

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 02:39:02 AM »
The Devil and the Dark Water and Reincarnation Blues both sound interesting.

Offline isos81

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 06:53:37 AM »
Not heard of any of them. I still voted based on the names, tho :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 09:05:47 AM »
I’m surprised you’ve not heard of Stuart Turton through with the Seven and half deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
I've heard of that book, I didn't remember the name of the author - do you think I'd like it, would it be one of the rare books we both like? ;)

And yesterday I actually found out that this new book of his that you have there is only published in October! I hope you plan on reading something else before that ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 09:29:58 AM »
Not sure here are two positive reviews and one negative review from the members here. There are no spoilers in the spoilers.

@Jeni

Spoiler for Hiden:
This was unexpectedly good. I'd read the blurb and rejected this book a few times because I wasn't sure if the author could actually sustain my interest for long if the story kept repeating one day eight times, even if each day was from a different characters perspective. Then my boss told me she had read it recently and it was way more complex than the blurb suggested and that there was much more going on than just Evelyn Hardcastle's mystery. So I gave it a go. My boss was right (thanks Donna!) and I ended up reading it almost all in one day. It's delightfully twisty but not impossible to figure out, and I was satisfied with the way it ended.
Like ? flag

@cupiscent

Spoiler for Hiden:
Deserves all the hype; this is a magnificently well-done book. Hats off to the author, this must have turned his brain inside out. It's twisty and clever and really braids itself together with time-travel/body-hopping shenanigans, but it's also deeply about people, and their darker impulses and weaknesses and giving in or overcoming - nature and nurture and choices. There are one or two tiny niggles that I might have preferred smoothed out, but those are tiny niggles in an amazing piece of work.

@Lady Ty

Spoiler for Hiden:
The plot of The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle sounded intriguing and I had read good recommendations. It took a while to get used to the frequent changes of perspective and then these were drawn out for so long it became boring.

The collection of characters were mostly disgusting or vile, with perpetual repetition of acts of cruel violence. The nature of the book demands this atmosphere and setting, but I had not realised how heavy going it would become with hardly any spark of light.

Hoped it was picking up in the last few chapters but even then it took forever to reach a conclusion. If I hadn't been desperate to know the final answers I would have DNF'd or if it had been a print book actually done the unthinkable and skipped to the end.

This an not to easy book for audible, with the multitude of characters and the ongoing changes. The narrator, James Cameron Stuart, did an excellent job of portraying each repulsive character clearly, through the laborious sixteen hours listening.
Not an enjoyable experience