October 01, 2020, 02:59:46 AM

Author Topic: Which Fantasy Race would you like to see more of?  (Read 12286 times)

Offline AnneLyle

Re: Which Fantasy Race would you like to see more of?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 07:49:32 AM »
Miniature giant space hamsters?

You want to watch those - they'll have your eye out ;)
Elizabethan fantasy trilogy The Alchemist of SoulsThe Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies out now from Angry Robot Books!

Offline Funky Scarecrow

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 08:35:57 AM »
Miniature giant space hamsters?

Go for the eyes, Boo!

*Ahem*

Meanwhile, back on topic: Lizard Men. Lizard Men are overdue for a comeback. Yes, I have been rereading A Princess of Mars while playing through Skyrim as an Argonian. Why do you ask?
I am NOT short. I'm further away than I look.

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 02:25:16 PM »
I ve been temping for a company who looks after vulnerable and elderly people, and we take a number of phonecalls from a man who believes there are 6 foot flying hamsters in his house....

Anyways here's my proposed outline for a book staring nymphs

Nymphlight

Jim is a social outcast who likes Star Trek TNG and playing WOW online.  He has no friends in real life because his mum is always making him move from town to town.  One day he moves to Sexington and joins the local High School, and is befriended by a beautiful young blonde waif, Rosie.  He gets to meet her family, who are all females and drop dead gorgeous, and discovers a whole community of nymphs live int the town of Sexington.  But an ancient war is being acted out between the fauns and the nymphs in the town of Sexington.  Can Jim forge an alliance between the two communities, and win the heart of Rosie? Or will he have to sacrifice to much to do so?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline AnneLyle

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 03:16:56 PM »
Meanwhile, back on topic: Lizard Men. Lizard Men are overdue for a comeback. Yes, I have been rereading A Princess of Mars while playing through Skyrim as an Argonian. Why do you ask?

There are lizard men in Richard Morgan's fantasy world (The Steel Remains, etc), though I'm only halfway through the first book and so far we've only seen them in brief flashbacks.
Elizabethan fantasy trilogy The Alchemist of SoulsThe Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies out now from Angry Robot Books!

Offline Nyki Blatchley

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 03:33:35 PM »
I used a nymph in a story that was published last year, though it was an invented type of nymph (a chronead, which is a nymph of time).

In general, I prefer stories with humans and/or invented races, but I'd like to see more Greek mythological figures used by authors who look like they've actually read some Greek mythology, as opposed to getting it from Hollywood or games.

Offline AshKB

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 08:24:24 PM »
Nymphlight

Jim is a social outcast who likes Star Trek TNG and playing WOW online.  He has no friends in real life because his mum is always making him move from town to town.  One day he moves to Sexington and joins the local High School, and is befriended by a beautiful young blonde waif, Rosie.  He gets to meet her family, who are all females and drop dead gorgeous, and discovers a whole community of nymphs live int the town of Sexington.  But an ancient war is being acted out between the fauns and the nymphs in the town of Sexington.  Can Jim forge an alliance between the two communities, and win the heart of Rosie? Or will he have to sacrifice to much to do so?

How about something really original, and Jim and Rosie are friends? The sooner we step away from 'there has to be romance' and 'girls' hearts are things to be won like a prize', the better, really. Because friendship can be powerful and meaningful, and there isn't enough of it in fiction.

Just my two cents.
The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be lighted - Plutarch

I not only use all the brains I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 09:07:35 PM »
Nymphlight

How about something really original, and Jim and Rosie are friends? The sooner we step away from 'there has to be romance' and 'girls' hearts are things to be won like a prize', the better, really. Because friendship can be powerful and meaningful, and there isn't enough of it in fiction.

Just my two cents.

I was thinking that perhaps the ending could be Rosie and Jim leaving the town of Sexington on a canal barge...
The Real Powers That Be

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 09:35:21 PM »
I was thinking that perhaps the ending could be Rosie and Jim leaving the town of Sexington on a canal barge...
...into the sunset.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline AshKB

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 09:40:14 PM »
Nymphlight

Just my two cents.

Where they go to a big city with a big geek culture and fit in fine, because WoW and Star Trek are awesome things, and they have adventures online and offline they become advocates for inter-species peace while being BFFs and roommates?

*pause*

I suppose I've never been very good at tropes.

I not only use all the brains I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 09:44:28 PM »
I was thinking they would be magically changed into rag dolls for a slightly tragic-comic ending:

The Real Powers That Be

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 11:07:30 PM »

There are lizard men in Richard Morgan's fantasy world (The Steel Remains, etc), though I'm only halfway through the first book and so far we've only seen them in brief flashbacks.
There were also lizard men in Jane Gaskell's Atlan series. In fact I believe the first book The Serpent was called that after one of the main male protagonists; Zerd, who was a lizard man of sorts. There are also lizard men in Seanan McGuire's Discount Armageddon.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline AshKB

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 08:38:22 AM »
I think if I were to write nymphs....hmm. My dryads would be eco-terrorists who are only getting along for the sake of the forest. Normally, they don't like each other that much, as trees do not get along (and try and sabotage and/or directly kill each other - seriously, watch David Attenborough's Life of Plants),and thus the gatherings of singing and dancing that people have witness throughout the ages have either been war councils, or actual war. They'd have names like "Tallest-Ash-In-Glade" and "Oldest-Oak-Split-In-Two-By-Storm" and "Vine-Fig-Who-Strangled-Three-Trees", and not be interested in sex or romance, because they are the spirits of trees.

(Never trust an oak dryad - they are patient and crafty, and know that generally they just have to wait for everyone else to die before they are able to rule their part of the forest).

But I like twisting tropes, and running with things, and making non-human humanoids as non-human as I can. You could do some really fun things with nymphs, I suspect.

Offline Dan D Jones

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 03:21:36 PM »
Anything which does not come from Greco-Roman mythology or from European folklore.  There's nothing wrong with using those sources but I'd like to see more alternative sources incorporated into the corpus. 

Offline Friday

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »
I was thinking they would be magically changed into rag dolls for a slightly tragic-comic ending:

Scary childhood memories there..
Návei, ei inya.

Offline FelixKatz

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 05:17:48 PM »
More seagulls. You never see intelligent, nefarious seagulls in fantasy anymore.
Can't wait for book 3 of the King Killer Trilogy- April 2032