September 29, 2020, 03:01:56 PM

Author Topic: Where do you go for your recommendations  (Read 6249 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Where do you go for your recommendations
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2017, 06:09:41 PM »
OMG, welcome back, Windy!
Ditto :D
How are your studies going?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2017, 06:27:42 PM »
Pretty well, thanks! Classes start up again tomorrow - Latin first thing in the morning  :o
Make Another World.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2017, 05:38:05 AM »
As of this moment I had already bought a trilogy (The Broken Empire), a duology (Stormlight Archives), and the Red Queen's War with the recommendations I receive here on FF. I'm probably gonna be broke soon at this rate, ahah.

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2017, 06:45:49 AM »
You should be happy to know that I have read quite a few based on your personal recommendations alone, @Eclipse  :) The Steel Seraglio/The City of Silk and Steel immediately jumps to mind, of course!

I also bought The Long Price Quartet after @Raptori's recommendation (and then I bought the PC game Ori and the Blind Forest because of him and @Saurus as well  :P)

@Idlewilder's recommendations were also some of the ones I enjoyed greatly, so I do miss having him around here  ::)

Thank you kindly sir! I have read bugger all fiction in the last year or so though so you haven't missed much!  :)

An East wind is coming. Or is it a North wind?
The Real Powers That Be

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2017, 10:08:56 AM »
As of this moment I had already bought a trilogy (The Broken Empire), a duology (Stormlight Archives), and the Red Queen's War with the recommendations I receive here on FF. I'm probably gonna be broke soon at this rate, ahah.
Well, you got *really* good books ;D

But in the future, keep it as a list, and buy as you read ;)

(everyone gets lots of ideas from this forum hehe)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2019, 07:11:38 AM »
Times moved on do you still go to the same place for recommendations?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2019, 07:17:19 AM »
I follow a whole heap of review / genre blogs (of which two key sources are FF and Tor.com), and all my friends on GR, from all of which I draw info about what's out there / coming soon. Plus the monthly reading thread here, and I also make sure to browse the shelves of a genuine physical bookstore at least once a month. From there I filter for stuff that looks like I might be into it, though the more I hear about any book, the more I'll consider giving it a look even if it pings a few of my peeves. (Sometimes the peeves win out, sometimes the book is great despite the elements I hate. Swings and roundabouts, but if you never try, you never know.)

hah, this is still entirely the way I do it, though in addition to review and genre blogs, I also get a lot of book news from twitter these days--sometimes I'm adding books the moment the deal is announced because they sound GREAT, up to two years in advance of publication date--and I only make it to a physical bookstore about once every two months.

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2019, 07:51:33 AM »
F-F is my primary source these last two years. I don't really think about recommendations by specific folks, though I have bought a number of books based on @Elfy's comments. For me, it's more about the general discussion: what books are folks talking about, what did they like, not like. I think I read The Heroes based on Abercrombie discussions in general.
Yeah, this too.
Lots of different people recommend different books, and in the end I read the blurb and see if it's interesting.
There are also some authors that I read everything, even not knowing anything about the book hehe

And sometimes it takes someone actually putting the book in my hands for me to read and go "oh, that was actually quite good!" (see Ben Aaronovitch and Wolfie/@Nighteyes ;D)

I also still stand by what I said 3 years ago :)

Offline bdcharles

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2019, 10:14:41 AM »
Times moved on do you still go to the same place for recommendations?

I get recommendations from everywhere. I just keep my eyes and ears open. Twitter, here, other forums. I've even got recommendations from the radio.
Find me on twitter @jd_books

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2019, 03:27:01 PM »
Similar to other members I get recommendations from everywhere.  Forums.  Internet fantasy lists.  YouTube. Friends and family.

But my number one recommendation source is going down goodread's "Readers Also Enjoyed" rabbit hole.  It's largely responsible for why my TBR list is so long.  ;D
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome